Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2012, 16:56   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
.................................................. .........................................

That explanation gets my prize for Joke of the Year. Ive just checked the calendar - it's not 1st April. Will somebody send this to the Observer reporters, who are desparate for summat to write about. This could make the nationals and TV News. Hold the Presses!!!!!!!!!!!
Does that mean we are not living in poverty as the media has us believe?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-06-2012, 17:07   #32
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Sod all to do wi Accrington Court, But Susies thread reminded me of a old James Taylor classic, Which i got by this lady, So Ta Susie.

The voice is very distinctive & makes me think of a female singer from the 60's but I can't think who, did think Marianne Faithfull & Ruby Tuesday (not the modern version though). As to the young lady in question she can't be doing to well as it looks like she can't afford any clothes Not being one to complain mind, but you tend to get distracted from the singing.
Old 19-06-2012, 17:43   #33
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

After having a root through my stacks of gramophone discs I came across one of those newfangled CD thingummies entitled "Where have all the flowers gone", track 10 disc 1 Melanie "Ruby Tuesday" 1970. I knew I'd heard the voice before So not Miss Faithfull after all & also a distinct abundance of clothes, tsk !
Old 19-06-2012, 17:45   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
After having a root through my stacks of gramophone discs I came across one of those newfangled CD thingummies entitled "Where have all the flowers gone", track 10 disc 1 Melanie "Ruby Tuesday" 1970. I knew I'd heard the voice before So not Miss Faithfull after all & also a distinct abundance of clothes, tsk !
It does tell yeh,on the top right corner of the disc i posted, Stay off the sauce mate.
Old 19-06-2012, 18:27   #35
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
As to the young lady in question she can't be doing to well as it looks like she can't afford any clothes Not being one to complain mind, but you tend to get distracted from the singing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
It does tell yeh,on the top right corner of the disc i posted, Stay off the sauce mate.
Yer Honourness, in my defence, see above statement.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:21   #36

I was searching for something online (much like the OP) and found this:
Map of Accrington Pl, Chapel Hill, QLD | whereis.com

It seems there's an 'Accrington Place' in Chapel Hill, close to Brisbane in Queensland, Australia. There are one or two other place names in surrounding streets alongside some real scrabble disasters - looks like they picked letters and words out of a hat for that housing estate.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:28   #37
God Member

I see that Obama is in Charlotte this week. Maybe he has gone there in search of his Accy roots.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15   #38
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
I was searching for something online (much like the OP) and found this:
Map of Accrington Pl, Chapel Hill, QLD | whereis.com

It seems there's an 'Accrington Place' in Chapel Hill, close to Brisbane in Queensland, Australia. There are one or two other place names in surrounding streets alongside some real scrabble disasters - looks like they picked letters and words out of a hat for that housing estate.
Ha ha I sat up when I saw the words Chapel Hill in your post then I saw it was in Australia! There is a Chapel Hill in North Carolina, about 100 miles from Charlotte. I spent a year there in 1974, but no Accrington Place!

Good detective work though - there are a lot of English place names from all over the country on that Oz estate, must have picked them with a pin. And the Scrabble disasters look like Australian place names.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:34   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Theres also a Chapel Hill in Lucan County Dublin, me aunty lives on yon n twas family holiday fer all me youth,
Old 05-09-2012, 10:30   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm seeing pen-pals.

By coincidence when I was younger I had a penfriend in Charlotte and spent a couple of days there. Do people have pen friends these days
Old 05-09-2012, 18:52   #41
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Do people have pen friends these days
Do people still use pens ?
Old 06-04-2019, 08:42   #42

Hi All,
Just came across this old thread, very interesting.
Did you know that there is a further Accrington Court? The second one is in Corpus Christi Texas USA.
If one goes into Google Earth and search for "Accrington Court" you will find both the one in Charlotte N.C. USA as well as the one in Corpus Christi Texas USA.
The interesting thing is how did they get their names of "Accrington Court"?
Will do a bit more research on this, and keep you posted.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
KiTChener likes this.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 18:08   #43
Full Member+

It may not be the case here but in our family history we have evidence of various ancestors travelling to the USA as fitters representing Howard and Bulloughs, who were formerly blacksmiths in the Ribble Valley. We know of this in Massachusetts but it is possible H&B had factories in other parts of the USA and the influence of Accrington was spread far and wide.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 18:24   #44
Full Member+

If you look at the hodgkinsonclark link in the sig you can see the connection.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell

Last edited by Morecambe Ex Pat; 06-04-2019 at 18:27.
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:02   #45

Just found out the following places also have Accrington as a Court:
- Charlotte North Carolina.
- Corpus Christi Texas.
- El Paso California.
Was in contact with the town's information centre in Charlotte, but to no avail!
I did find out however that the "Accrington Court" was built around the 1980-90's, but couldn't get an answer as to what was there before.
Still awaiting an answer from the information centre in Corpus Christi.
Will write sometime today to El Paso and keep you informed of anything I find.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..