Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2021, 08:51   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Accrington Web

[QUOTE=taddy;1253390]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less, Dotti asked a perfectly reasonable question...out of interest, and perhaps to stimulate some reminscences of when Accyweb was shiny and new.

She really deserved a better answer....don't you think?

I dont think that Less was trying to be facetious,(I had to look in my Oxford senior dictionary for that word), it struck me as bringing a touch of humour without meaning to cause offence.
Yes, she asked a perfectly reasonable question, as for deserving a better answer, no, it was as I've already said a bit of banter to be taken lightly and then cast aside, congratulations my teacup runneth over with this tiny monsoon that seems to be forced into domination.
cashman likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2021, 08:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Less, I would rather use the word 'appreciation' when someone replies to one of my posts, because I do appreciate the fact that they have read it and bothered to reply. To say I am grateful makes it sound like I am humbled by them replying, which is not the case. The things I am really grateful for are somewhat different.

Personally I find it is a pity that Accrington Web is not what it was.

Banter, yes, although I still think we have been clashing I realise it can be seen as a sort of bantering and as long as it is kept 'civilised' and within certain boundaries banter can be quite entertaining. So I will carry on with it if the occasion warrants it, and I expect you will too.
If you wish to feel we are clashing please do so, I shall continue as I have done since 2003 answering as I please when I please, hey, look, we've managed to take the thread into it's second page most impressive.
Old 30-04-2021, 09:00   #18

Taddy, thank you for the compliment, well I'm taking it as such with appreciation not gratitude, hope that doesn't offend you.

However, according to Mr Google the meaning of the word facetious is 'treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour; flippant' and although my post was certainly not a serious issue I was trying to introduce a subject that might have brought about a number of responsible replies. So maybe you have got the right word there after all. I was hoping for some information from the person who has this knowledge and thus start the ball rolling. Wasn't to be. Never mind, better luck next time I guess.
taddy likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:10   #19

Please yourself, Less, if that's what makes you happy.
Old 30-04-2021, 09:15   #20
Beacon of light

Banter?
I find that term a bit subjective...but then that is just me.

As for your storm in a teacup...no there was no storm...unless you made it one.
There are some people in life who do that...they create a storm and then beg to borrow your umbrella.

‘A soft answer turned away wrath’.
Dotti’s question was asked from interest and the hope that people would respond in a positive way with their own stories about their experience of Accyweb.
Yes she could have trawled through the thousands of posts in the archives, but the first thing you can do to find out something is to ASK.
dotti34 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:17   #21
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If you wish to feel we are clashing please do so, I shall continue as I have done since 2003 answering as I please when I please, hey, look, we've managed to take the thread into it's second page most impressive.
Of course you will Less.
That is your prerogative...and long may it continue to be so...for us all.
Amen to that.
dotti34 likes this.
Old 30-04-2021, 09:32   #22

Quote:
Banter?
I find that term a bit subjective...but then that is just me.

As for your storm in a teacup...no there was no storm...unless you made it one.
There are some people in life who do that...they create a storm and then beg to borrow your umbrella.

‘A soft answer turned away wrath’.
Dotti’s question was asked from interest and the hope that people would respond in a positive way with their own stories about their experience of Accyweb.
Yes she could have trawled through the thousands of posts in the archives, but the first thing you can do to find out something is to ASK.
I could have answered with a long boring fact filled history of AccyWeb, starting with where it started (Moscow 2003) leading up to the present day and the free spirits that occupy it now.

Instead I thought, I'll be creative and produce an utterly unbelievable history and I think that has proved to be the case.

Like it or lump it(comma) it's there now, so try to live with it as best you can.
Old 30-04-2021, 09:46   #23

[QUOTE=dotti34;1253395]Taddy, thank you for the compliment, well I'm taking it as such with appreciation not gratitude, hope that doesn't offend you.

However, according to Mr Google the meaning of the word facetious is 'treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour; flippant' and although my post was certainly not a serious issue I was trying to introduce a subject that might have brought about a number of responsible replies. So maybe you have got the right word there after all. I was hoping for some information from the person who has this knowledge and thus start the ball rolling. Wasn't to be. Never mind, better luck next time I guess.

Of course it was a compliment and as kids we used to say that sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
Stay happy, stay safe.
dotti34 likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:02   #24
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I could have answered with a long boring fact filled history of AccyWeb, starting with where it started (Moscow 2003) leading up to the present day and the free spirits that occupy it now.

Instead I thought, I'll be creative and produce an utterly unbelievable history and I think that has proved to be the case.

Like it or lump it(comma) it's there now, so try to live with it as best you can.
But then again you equally could have given an interesting potted history of how it came about....and that would have been very much appreciated. It did not have to be long and involved...and would it have taken more effort than your made up history? Only you can answer that.
Like it, or lump it?
Is that a bit passive/aggressive?

As to the comment about how, many years ago, there was a lot of what you called ‘rubbish’ posted.
You may have considered it to be such, but the site was more diverse, it had more people posting and there was usually something for everyone to read, contribute and enjoy.
I would go back to those days in a heartbeat.
dotti34 likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 30-04-2021 at 10:04.
Old 30-04-2021, 10:32   #25

Quote:
But then again you equally could have given an interesting potted history of how it came about....and that would have been very much appreciated. It did not have to be long and involved...and would it have taken more effort than your made up history? Only you can answer that.
Like it, or lump it?
Is that a bit passive/aggressive?

As to the comment about how, many years ago, there was a lot of what you called ‘rubbish’ posted.
You may have considered it to be such, but the site was more diverse, it had more people posting and there was usually something for everyone to read, contribute and enjoy.
I would go back to those days in a heartbeat.
I could...

...I didn't because I didn't want to.

I know first hand that there was a lot of rubbish posted, I posted quite a bit of it myself and I intend to continue in that vain because, rubbish, banter and frivolous answers are what AccyWeb was invented for, not long and tedious threads about subjects and situations none of us can do anything about.

Like it, or lump it?

Yes, like it or lump it or get it removed.
Old 30-04-2021, 10:37   #26
Beacon of light

well, that worked didn't it?
dotti34 likes this.
Old 30-04-2021, 10:44   #27

Margaret, you really do know how to make me laugh - brilliant five word answer - summed it up beautifully.
Old 30-04-2021, 10:47   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

there are many people i miss these days Tinkerbelle, Slinky, Garinda, my good mate Jaysay who sadly died, plus quite a few more,
Old 30-04-2021, 11:57   #29
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
there are many people i miss these days Tinkerbelle, Slinky, Garinda, my good mate Jaysay who sadly died, plus quite a few more,
Cashy, I miss those members too..also Willow and Busman....Westender,
Eric from Canada...steeljack.....I often think of them and wonder where they are.
Susie 123, Ber99....one of the ambulance drivers I used to have a laugh with and brew up for during my working life.
Jaysay could be so funny....sometimes(and I think he would admit this) accidentally.
And Mick.....how I miss him.
The forum has changed, because times have changed and people have changed.
All that said....I still like to think that it will be here when I am shoving the daisies up.
lettie, cashman and dotti34 like this.
Old 30-04-2021, 12:05   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

take yer time wi them daisies margaret im trying me best too.
DaveinGermany and taddy like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..