Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 09:53   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Accringtons Christmas Tree

If we had one as big as the one in Trafalgar Square, a gift from the Norwegian people, you wouldn't be able to get through the doors of the Market Hall.

Perhaps this one is a gift from the people of Burnley.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2008, 10:09   #17
Senior Member+

people complain that they didnt make much effort but if it was a fantastic tree with loads of fancy lights and stuff then people would complain that they wasted money that could be used for roads/pavements/dog poo bins... they cant win either way!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:27   #18
God Member

I haven't been to look at it but can see from the photo that was posted of Accy centre at night, that lights are restricted to the top part of the tree where they can't be vandalised.
This is understandable but does give the impression that the lights have been 'underdone'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:50   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
... they cant win either way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
....does give the impression that the lights have been 'underdone'
Looks like you are correct Emma.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:57   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I haven't been to look at it but can see from the photo that was posted of Accy centre at night, that lights are restricted to the top part of the tree where they can't be vandalised.
This is understandable but does give the impression that the lights have been 'underdone'
Think your right Margaret, seem to remember something about numpties vandalising the tree in previous years, its just a pity that decent people are being deprived of have a well lit tree because of a few yobs
Old 10-12-2008, 10:59   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
did not go to the switch on,i think the lights are pathetic,but they put a good pyrotechnic show on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Poor old HBC, trying their best,

Actually, being a bah, humbug type of guy, I wonder, do we really need such frippery when they always threaten at the first short fall such actions as:-
job's are at risk!
Maybe, just, maybe, sense should prevail and instead of the expense of such lights we should, (for example), keep cleaners on the streets?

Yes, O.K. it's only Less thinking, what difference would keeping our streets clean make towards pretending we want our kiddies to be delighted with a mediocre display?

One cleaner on the street versus little coloured lights? Could I please have the cleaner until we can afford the lights?
Quote:
I absolutely agree with Less - the lights are a waste of our council tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
How much?..............how many local traders would that subsidise in reduced rents?.....and they would probably put their own lights up.
there we go, to even it out... some complaining that they are not good enough and some complaining about the cost

for what its worth, Tyler thinks they are great, he likes walking through town after school when its dark so he can see the lights properly, he thinks the tree is cool cos its massive!! and he is impressed with the crib as well. Christmas lights are really for the kids, adults dont have the same awe at shiny lights as kids do.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 10-12-2008, 10:59   #22
God Member

I think it looks lovely in town with the lights and the tree. Maybe if the morons who think it is fun to get drunk and vandalise everything left things alone we might be able to have all the tree covered in lights.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:37   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps this one is a gift from the people of Burnley.
I think that one was when they sent me to live here
Old 10-12-2008, 11:39   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I thought you came voluntarily so you could live the good life and breath the fresh air.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:46   #25
Senior Member+

I think it needs a bit of tinsle (SP).

How many people shop in town when its dark, the picture shows it at its best, when its lit.

My comment was made as I saw it during the day when no lights where on, it looked sorry for itself.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:49   #26
Senior Member+

maybe we should have a save our tree thread where we all go into town, buy a piece of tinsel and throw it at the tree??

Old 10-12-2008, 14:05   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I think it looks lovely in town with the lights and the tree. Maybe if the morons who think it is fun to get drunk and vandalise everything left things alone we might be able to have all the tree covered in lights.
This is true ....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 16:11   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
They sent you here from Burnley, hell weren't you the lucky one
Old 10-12-2008, 16:22   #29
Resting in Peace

It is a shame that lights have to be put further up these days, we must have some very tall vandals in Clayton, and Beechy is correct, no wise men in Clayton :-

clayton christmas 003.jpgclayton christmas 004.jpg

Would love a few more lights down here .. that's it folks !
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 17:51   #30
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Well I havent seen the lights yet, but i bet they aint as bad as ossy!

I dont know why they bother to be honest, maybe they should use an outside fibre optic tree, that way no one will nick the ruddy bulbs!!(sad people about)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..