Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2014, 21:30   #46
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

ACCRINGTON's NEW BANNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Just expressive Anglo Saxon (Glitterbest v The Crown, 1977) but certainly not intemperate. Just everyday language and importantly to the point.

To which point?
All you did was show yourself up, even one so dumb as I can see there is no point in you doing that deliberately, you usually manage quite by accident.
No real purpose served by stating some court case, you've already proved your links to the common man by resorting to using such language on an open forum.
I don't mind, it's everyday language for we the great unwashed, I can't see it impressing the thinkers amongst your followers, party members or constituents though.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-01-2014, 21:38   #47
Beacon of light

Re: ACCRINGTON's NEW BANNER

Everyday language for whom?
Perhaps that is why society in general is in such a sorry state.
People think it is alright to use language that is more appropriate to a tap room.
It is only everyday language to some people.....and then only because no one is ever challenged about being a gutter mouth.

Still, it is a case of 'you can take the man out of Accrington, but you can't take Accrington out of the man'......and this says much for our town and what it has become.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 22:11   #48
I am Banned

Quote:
Perhaps I wasn't clear with what I said. Councillors have taken a back seat. The public are running the committee and arrangements. Some times you're too clever by half!

As was reported in the Observer, Ruth Turner was the person who chose the photos, the wife of the great late local historian Bill Turner for whom we have a lot to thank for his work. (As well as Walter and Andrew Jackson amongst others).
Let me make one thing clear, when those pictures were chosen from the William Turner collection they were on my notebook and they were chosen by their collection number, all I did was transfer those pictures to another file without really looking at them, they were then printed out 6 to a page, it was only when I saw the proposed banner layout that I realised that a group of Chorley Coy were on it. I contacted my daughter and told her what had happened, and with the aid of Miles Parkinson she had it corrected.
Just one other thing, please don't link my name on the same page as jackson.
Now let the matter drop, there is no need for all this argy bargy.

Last edited by Retlaw; 13-01-2014 at 22:13.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 22:28   #49
God Member

Quote:
Just everyday language
Mmmm ... I have to think about that one And which "everyday language" are you talking about? The everyday language of Oxford Dons, or that of Glaswegian dockers? Everyday language and its companion "Standard English" don't exist.

Here follows the everyday language of politicians:

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 17:07   #50

Why ANY committee discussing the Accrington Pals would even consider a plan or motion without the council of Walter defies belief.
He is the default living authority on the subject, gathered from decades of respectful research.
I hope the town finds some way of honoring his work (and the fallen) by embracing his dedication and making his files the de facto reference on the Pals, finally getting the story straight as we move towards the 100th anniversary of the tragedy of Serre in 2016.
Burningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 18:38   #51
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningman View Post
Why ANY committee discussing the Accrington Pals would even consider a plan or motion without the council of Walter defies belief.
He is the default living authority on the subject, gathered from decades of respectful research.
I hope the town finds some way of honoring his work (and the fallen) by embracing his dedication and making his files the de facto reference on the Pals, finally getting the story straight as we move towards the 100th anniversary of the tragedy of Serre in 2016.
Nah they don't need me, they already have some x spurts on that committe one or two may have even read Bills books on the Pals, one of them can tell some fantastic stories related to him by his uncle, who died before the x spurt had even reached his teens. What do they need me for, I can't tell stories, I only deal in facts proven by documentary evidence. Bill Turner and I were already planning for the 100th anniversay when we finished to 90th in 2006, sadly Bill died a year later.

Last edited by Retlaw; 30-01-2014 at 18:41.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..