Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 08:52   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington's new bus station "to be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well Flashy, maybe that is because you are young and fit........there are many who aren't and for those, it will take trade away from the Market and the Market hall.

It is moving the centre of town away from the natural centre.
When ever I come into town we park either at the back of Union St. behind the Railway, or off I think its Green Lane, the town Centre isn't exactly disabled friendly
Old 05-10-2011, 09:14   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Cynical and very 'conservative' thinking! Great places move on and evolve.
For 'cynical' I read 'not naive'.

As for 'very (lower case) conservative', after recovering from a laughing fit, I read 'realism - that comes from not being half-blinded by wearing party political blinkers.

Movement, and evolution for the sake of it, DO NOT necessarily equal greatness.

As evidence we only have to look at the many changes that Accrington has been subjected to over the decades, and then take a moment to ponder if this evolution has achieved the status of the town being 'great'.

I've pondered.

Despite the umpteen 'improvements' we've seen, the town centre's far from being in great shape.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:19   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

It would make far more sense to demolish the market that is situated on the Peel Street site
After much costly 'improvement' and 'evolution', thanks to the powers that be, the outside market's died on it's arse anyway.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:21   #19
God Member

The outside market died when they knocked the last one down
Old 05-10-2011, 09:26   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
The outside market died when they knocked the last one down
That's exactly the point.

Despite what some of our politicans think, just because something's changed, doesn't necessarily mean the result will be better than before.

The outside market is a very sad example of this sort of 'evolution'.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:49   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's exactly the point.

Despite what some of our politicans think, just because something's changed, doesn't necessarily mean the result will be better than before.

The outside market is a very sad example of this sort of 'evolution'.
It was only when I started going into Accrington again over the last 12 months that I realised just what changes were really made, (you don't get the same perception from reading about, than seeing it with your own eyes) before then it must have been 20+ since I saw the centre and unfortunately the changes were not for the good, the old Market was good its now a shadow of it former self, although I quite like the market hall now that I've seen it in full flow, I had only seen it on Wednesday until the other week
Old 05-10-2011, 09:52   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...very 'conservative' thinking!
I've racked my brains, and am unable to recall being accused of 'conservative' thinking, when critiquing some of the policy decisons taken when H.B.C. was under the control of the previous administration.

Straw grasping, a bit pathetic, but hilarious enough to have brightened my day.

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:59   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It was only when I started going into Accrington again over the last 12 months that I realised just what changes were really made, (you don't get the same perception from reading about, than seeing it with your own eyes) before then it must have been 20+ since I saw the centre and unfortunately the changes were not for the good, the old Market was good its now a shadow of it former self, although I quite like the market hall now that I've seen it in full flow, I had only seen it on Wednesday until the other week
You're right. You do actually need to see things, to grasp the reality of a situation.

Personally I see very few of our decision makers out shopping in the town centre, market, or Market Hall, on my twice weekly visits to Accrington.

I did see a suprising number shopping in a town centre supermarket recently, whilst stood there collecting for a charity.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:07   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You're right. You do actually need to see things, to grasp the reality of a situation.

Personally I see very few of our decision makers out shopping in the town centre, market, or Market Hall, on my twice weekly visits to Accrington.

I did see a suprising number shopping in a town centre supermarket recently, whilst stood there collecting for a charity.

Surely not
Old 05-10-2011, 10:16   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Surely not
Probably only there to see if there was enough room for a bus station at the bottom of the escalators.

Though one or two were laden down with vast amounts of shopping.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:50   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Cynical and very 'conservative' thinking!
As well as cringing, I was probably guilty of this when I read your recent column in the Observer.

Whinge, whinge, whinge.

Unfair...gerrymandering...wicked Tories...out to unseat newly elected Labour members in northern seats.

The cynic in me would much rather the newspaper had been used to stress how badly the people who live here will be affected, if the area's not united by being represented by our own, single M.P., and therefore more likely to succeed in garnering public support to fight the recommendation.

Rather than how it came across.

Poor me. Victim of Tory guile.

Old 05-10-2011, 13:29   #27
God Member

Looked up Crawshaw St. on Google maps as i wasn't sure exactly where it was. It would move the bus station nearer to the Arndale Center and would not therefore have any benefit to trade in the Abbey St. area at all, which is what the original proposal was setting out to do supposedly. If the council want to make the Market Hall stalls viable surely they need to funnel in the bus users nearby - I don't know, but I imagine the rents are higher now in the Market Hall since it has been so beautifully "done-up".
Would it not be cheaper just to rennovate the current bus station and spend some money on the Public toilets there -I think I saw on here that they want to close them down(?)...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 14:00   #28
God Member

Just a question - but does anyone know the bus routes yet?

I only ask because surely it's irrelevant where the final destination is as long as buses pass by and drop off outside the market. The bus station could be completely outside of town as long as all the buses go through the centre.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 15:27   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I only ask because surely it's irrelevant where the final destination is as long as buses pass by and drop off outside the market. The bus station could be completely outside of town as long as all the buses go through the centre.

...and if that's the case, presumably everyone's going to be queueing outside the market, when they want to catch the bus home.

Making the relocation of the bus station pretty pointless.

Old 05-10-2011, 15:50   #30
God Member

Quote:
...and if that's the case, presumably everyone's going to be queueing outside the market, when they want to catch the bus home.

Making the relocation of the bus station pretty pointless.
Well, people don't only shop in the market do they? Some walk to through the Arndale as well as shopping in the market. I'm just saying (playing devil's advocate), I can imagine a scenario when people get off the bus at the market and then walk through the Arndale or along Blackburn Road towards the bus station. I know that would involve carrying shopping but then again it involves carrying shopping if you shop in the Arndale then walk to the bus station now.

I wonder what calculations/questionaires/consultations they've done on that sort of thing?

I have to be honest and say that I'm neither for or against the move at the moment. Partly because I rarely use the bus (I do sometimes but it's the exception rather than the rule) and partly because I don't think I've got enough information to decide on.

I didn't like it when they cut it in half as I thought that made it more dangerous so I can see the need to making a bigger bus station. I like the idea of a car park near the market as well as that could benefit some people. But, I can also see how the market users are more often than not the ones who need the access to a bus to be close by.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..