Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2011, 21:32   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: Accrington's new bus station "to be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Agreed but ist hat any reason to give up?
Most, no all, of the recent improvements, have been costly, and have improved nothing.

It's worse than before.

So yes.

If something's going to be 'improved', but isn't, it's all rather pointless, and stupid.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-12-2011, 21:39   #107
Beacon of light

The council, the last one, spent God knows how much of our money putting a fancy surface down on Broadway and within weeks the blooming stuff was coming off........the contractors had to be called back to re-surface a stretch of it....the surface is only millimetres thick and is off in a few places(still)......it looks really elegant(not).
This was supposed to improve the aesthetics of the town........it was our money, very badly spent, on something that benefits no-one.

When the council are planning these improvements I really do wish they would spend the money as if it were coming out of their own back pocket instead of what I sometimes think they think is a bottomless purse.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 21:48   #108
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
What would make it nicer ?
We build a Gulag (top of Whinney Hill would be my choice) where we imprison the great unwashed of Accy - don't allow them to reproduce and eventually they'll die out.....!
The rest of us just carry on as normal...might not solve all the problems but the place is gonna look a whole lot tidier.
Might make me want to hang around a bit longer on a Saturday instead of doing the a "commando raid" at the market before shooting off home....(yes I actually do the shopping!!!)
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 21:49   #109
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The council, the last one, spent God knows how much of our money putting a fancy surface down on Broadway and within weeks the blooming stuff was coming off........the contractors had to be called back to re-surface a stretch of it....the surface is only millimetres thick and is off in a few places(still)......it looks really elegant(not).
This was supposed to improve the aesthetics of the town........it was our money, very badly spent, on something that benefits no-one.

When the council are planning these improvements I really do wish they would spend the money as if it were coming out of their own back pocket instead of what I sometimes think they think is a bottomless purse.
The Broadway 'improvements', or as I call them, a couple of stupid brushed steel non-gates, and a few badly designed hemroid inducing benches, 'only' cost half a million pounds.

Old 16-12-2011, 21:55   #110
Resting In Peace

I think one of the problems is similar to what we faced in a couple of houses we have lived in which were getting on for 200 years old. They had been done up, improved, whatever over the years.

We found that the original buildings were sound but most of the so called improvements had to be ripped out or scrapped.

The same could be said of Accrington - some lovely old buidings with a lot of modern work which is not fit for purpose. I except the 60s market which was one of the better modern ideas.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 21:58   #111
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Little minds, miss playing with their little toys.

It amuses them to play about with the town.

They don't care where the money's coming from.

When it comes to planning, and strategy, we're dealing with amateurs, to put it politely.

To put it less politely, when it comes to vitality, vision, and common sense, most people we have in power would struggle to muster an erection in a brothel.

If these postions were salaried, rather than electable, most councillors wouldn't get a reply to their application, nevermind the chance for a first interview.

Last edited by garinda; 16-12-2011 at 22:03.
Old 16-12-2011, 22:02   #112
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I think one of the problems is similar to what we faced in a couple of houses we have lived in which were getting on for 200 years old. They had been done up, improved, whatever over the years.

We found that the original buildings were sound but most of the so called improvements had to be ripped out or scrapped.

The same could be said of Accrington - some lovely old buidings with a lot of modern work which is not fit for purpose. I except the 60s market which was one of the better modern ideas.
I agree.

The sixties market was, at the time, a fairly radical design, and should have been preserved at all cost. A bonus of which would be the market wouldn't now be dead on it's arse.

Instead we have generic toy town architecture, who only a plank like Prince Charles would think was an improvement.

Old 16-12-2011, 22:05   #113
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
We build a Gulag (top of Whinney Hill would be my choice) where we imprison the great unwashed of Accy - don't allow them to reproduce and eventually they'll die out.....!
The rest of us just carry on as normal...might not solve all the problems but the place is gonna look a whole lot tidier.
Might make me want to hang around a bit longer on a Saturday instead of doing the a "commando raid" at the market before shooting off home....(yes I actually do the shopping!!!)
So it's the people not the place that's the problem... you could be right, brave man for saying so.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 22:06   #114
God Member

Quote:

Got it in one

Everytime I bring this up you get the impression some people think I see things others don't. The town will always be on it's heels no matter how much you spend on infrastructure as long as certain establishments on Abbey St make it worthwhile for them to stay around, and the council have a bye-law which states no alchohol and they do nothing to enforce it.
Old 16-12-2011, 22:11   #115
Full Member+

Quote:
So it's the people not the place that's the problem... you could be right, brave man for saying so.
I'll be okay, because the great unwashed of Accy don't come on here....
Old 16-12-2011, 22:14   #116
Full Member+

Quote:
Got it in one

Everytime I bring this up you get the impression some people think I see things others don't. The town will always be on it's heels no matter how much you spend on infrastructure as long as certain establishments on Abbey St make it worthwhile for them to stay around, and the council have a bye-law which states no alchohol and they do nothing to enforce it.
Lucky for me I only come into town once a week, whereas you have to work there!
Old 16-12-2011, 22:15   #117
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Got it in one

They do enforce it.

They remove any benches, within twenty five feet, where alkies/druggies might once have had a little skuffle.

It's 'experimaental'.

Took a great mind to come up with that.

Which is why everyone, bar the numpty on the council who came up with it, finds it hard to fathom.

Old 16-12-2011, 22:17   #118
God Member

Quote:
Lucky for me I only come into town once a week, whereas you have to work there!
I work to avoid daytime tv and end up watching Jeremy Kyle Street Version everyday
Old 16-12-2011, 22:35   #119
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Got it in one

Oh i take it yeh mean the "Wall To Wall" scum that infest like a load of lice? is what i would say if i was to tell the truth.but being a diplomat i shan't.
Old 16-12-2011, 22:52   #120
Beacon of light

You know these great unwashed who lurk around Abbey St, allow the elderly nun to walk down into Accrington to get their provisions....and she returns up Infant St loaded down with bags, in the misguided belief that she is 'helping' these dozy scroungers, who probably have not vacated their pits.

They need kicking up the proverbial and made to go out and get their own groceries, pies sandwiches...whatever, instead of allowing this woman to be loaded like a pack horse.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..