Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2011, 21:53   #121
God Member

Re: Accrington's new bus station "to be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Oh i take it yeh mean the "Wall To Wall" scum that infest like a load of lice? is what i would say if i was to tell the truth.but being a diplomat i shan't.

Not like you to understate something, get to the point
Old 16-12-2011, 22:01   #122
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Not like you to understate something, get to the point
Don't like when its the season of goodwill.
Old 17-12-2011, 08:18   #123
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
......If these postions were salaried, rather than electable, most councillors wouldn't get a reply to their application, nevermind the chance for a first interview.

I have said similar many times.
Do you think it would be any better if employed Officers were making the decisions and we got rid of local Councillors altogether?

Should Councillors have to pass some sort of exam before they can sit on committees and make decisions?

Should we who elect them be able to kick them out before the usual 4 years if they prove themselves useless?
Old 17-12-2011, 08:34   #124
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do you think it would be any better if employed Officers were making the decisions and we got rid of local Councillors altogether?

Should Councillors have to pass some sort of exam before they can sit on committees and make decisions?

Should we who elect them be able to kick them out before the usual 4 years if they prove themselves useless?
(1) think it probably would be better. (2) no, (3) don't think thats a good idea, cos theres to many knobheads about, my reason fer no in (2) is reckon n interview fer the post should define that answer.
Old 17-12-2011, 08:46   #125
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I think Overview and Scrutiny should not have any councillors on it at all.
Old 17-12-2011, 08:51   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The Broadway 'improvements', or as I call them, a couple of stupid brushed steel non-gates, and a few badly designed hemroid inducing benches, 'only' cost half a million pounds.
Ya I saw those gates on my first trip to Accy for years earlier this summer and I had to say to my self, what a bloody waste of money. I actually think that a yardstick for any councillor when they embark on these projects would be to ask themselves this question, "If I was paying for this out of my own pocket would I be going ahead with it" I think you'll find very few of these hair brained schemes would ever get off the drawing board
Old 17-12-2011, 08:55   #127
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Got it in one

Everytime I bring this up you get the impression some people think I see things others don't. The town will always be on it's heels no matter how much you spend on infrastructure as long as certain establishments on Abbey St make it worthwhile for them to stay around, and the council have a bye-law which states no alchohol and they do nothing to enforce it.
Again I found out first had how the Abbey Street project has got out of hand, there is an old say I could think of, but it would they delighted if I posted it, its regarding toilet procedures, something which would cover this stupidity
Old 17-12-2011, 08:59   #128
Resting in Peace

Quote:
They do enforce it.

They remove any benches, within twenty five feet, where alkies/druggies might once have had a little skuffle.

It's 'experimental'.

Took a great mind to come up with that.

Which is why everyone, bar the numpty on the council who came up with it, finds it hard to fathom.
And whats more refuses to explain why it was carried out, after all we're only the council tax payers, why should we have the right to know on what and why they are spending our money
Old 17-12-2011, 09:04   #129
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Well with the system we have at the moment, there is a chance to change the council on three of the four years of the political cycle, but with this system I don't see how people can remove an individuel within the election 4 year cycle unless they counterman council rules.
Old 17-12-2011, 09:08   #130
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think Overview and Scrutiny should not have any councillors on it at all.
But who would you have on it Neil and how would you go about selecting them, have an election maybe
Old 17-12-2011, 13:20   #131
God Member

Quote:
The Broadway 'improvements', or as I call them, a couple of stupid brushed steel non-gates, and a few badly designed hemroid inducing benches, 'only' cost half a million pounds.
How much -talk about money for old rope....

The benches must be in real Carrara marble then - that would explain why they stay so wet when it rains and marble being so hard and cold is not ideal for sitting on if you are prone to certain embarassing problems.

Perhaps they are a cunning deterrant, employed by HBC to keep certain un-wanted elements from seating themselves on Broadway.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 14:24   #132
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
How much -talk about money for old rope....

The benches must be in real Carrara marble then - that would explain why they stay so wet when it rains and marble being so hard and cold is not ideal for sitting on if you are prone to certain embarassing problems.

Perhaps they are a cunning deterrant, employed by HBC to keep certain un-wanted elements from seating themselves on Broadway.
There wasn't anyone sat on them today. They were covered in puddles, about four hours after it last rained/sleeted.

Everyone who needed a seat on Broadway was perched on the round flower beds.

Those marble benches are an appallingly bad piece of design.

Did sit on the wooden benches on Church Street, the ones similar to the ones taken away from outside the Market Hall, as an 'experiment'. They were dry to sit on.

Didn't see any alkies whilst siting there today.

Just as I never saw any personally outside the Market Hall, when we were lucky enough to be able to sit there...before the madness set in.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 15:08   #133
I am Banned

Quote:
There wasn't anyone sat on them today. They were covered in puddles, about four hours after it last rained/sleeted.

Everyone who needed a seat on Broadway was perched on the round flower beds.

Those marble benches are an appallingly bad piece of design.

Did sit on the wooden benches on Church Street, the ones similar to the ones taken away from outside the Market Hall, as an 'experiment'. They were dry to sit on.

Didn't see any alkies whilst siting there today.

Just as I never saw any personally outside the Market Hall, when we were lucky enough to be able to sit there...before the madness set in.
Groove agrees about them silly marble benches...they're always full o puddles. None of the jakeys sit drinkin on the benches now simply because its too cold.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 16:53   #134
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
But who would you have on it Neil and how would you go about selecting them, have an election maybe
To answer that I would need to know more about how it works. I just feel that having councillors checking on councillors is a bit like letting a fox look after a chicken house.
Old 17-12-2011, 17:30   #135
Resting in Peace

Quote:
To answer that I would need to know more about how it works. I just feel that having councillors checking on councillors is a bit like letting a fox look after a chicken house.
Ya but how would you appoint the scrutineers, you can't just pic any Tom Dick or Abdul out of the street and say hey just run your beadies over this meeting will ya

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..