Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 18:01   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Accy Con Club

Wasn't Accy Con famous for having the largest sprung dance floor in the country?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2007, 18:04   #17
God Member

Smile Re: Accy Con Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Wasn't Accy Con famous for having the largest sprung dance floor in the country?
Beechy has just said that in message before yours
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 18:07   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Beechy has just said that in message before yours
Appologies. Must have been posting at the same time.

Old 02-08-2007, 18:10   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
such a shame, one of the best places i was ever thrown out of.
You too, eh
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 19:48   #20
Resting in peace

Quote:
Appologies. Must have been posting at the same time.
The ballroom floor came out of the Tower Ballroom Blackpool, when they delivered it an Irishman carried all the Maple flooring pieces up 2 flights of stairs and laid it perfectly. Yes Gary it is sprung and it still is, this ballroom floor and the plaster work on the ceilings are the reason the Council refused planning permission the last time. Unfortunately the window to the 'grand ballroom' was removed last October. I personally witnessed the window frame being removed,it was removed by a man and not the

weather. The object of this exercise was to 'wreck' the ballroom with the elements.
Just how much damage has been done I know not, but if it is nipped in the bud now, the building will probably be sound, as it is protected by the surrounding properties. This building deserves a better deal than it is getting, for all our sakes let us at least preserve the most important building in our town, after all it is the most grandiose Conservative Club Building in Great Britain.
Just what is this town coming to, when we write off our heritage with impunity, the 'Yanks' would give their right arm and leg for history that we choose to discard
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 22:36   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
The ballroom floor came out of the Tower Ballroom Blackpool, when they delivered it an Irishman carried all the Maple flooring pieces up 2 flights of stairs and laid it perfectly. Yes Gary it is sprung and it still is, this ballroom floor and the plaster work on the ceilings are the reason the Council refused planning permission the last time. Unfortunately the window to the 'grand ballroom' was removed last October. I personally witnessed the window frame being removed,it was removed by a man and not the

weather. The object of this exercise was to 'wreck' the ballroom with the elements.
Just how much damage has been done I know not, but if it is nipped in the bud now, the building will probably be sound, as it is protected by the surrounding properties. This building deserves a better deal than it is getting, for all our sakes let us at least preserve the most important building in our town, after all it is the most grandiose Conservative Club Building in Great Britain.
Just what is this town coming to, when we write off our heritage with impunity, the 'Yanks' would give their right arm and leg for history that we choose to discard
Sounds like you were thrown out of there too

But there is a long tradition of tossing out history .... I remember when the old cast iron fire place, with the warming ovens and all that neat s**t was thrown out to make way for one of those ugly tiled objects.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:08   #22
Resting in peace

Quote:
Eric, Sounds like you were thrown out of there too
Down 2 flights of marble steps and felt them all. As God is my judge I have worn dentures since that day.
Quote:
Eric But there is a long tradition of tossing out history .... I remember when the old cast iron fire place, with the warming ovens and all that neat s**t was thrown out to make way for one of those ugly tiled objects.
I would give anything to be able to fit an old 'range' in my kitchen, as they heated the water warmed the kitchen and baked the bread. These objects were discarded willy-nilly by the demolition men they are now priceless and can be found nowhere.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 21:37   #23
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMG View Post
It's starting to make sense now!
I always wondered why there was a window missing on the top floor. You could see it from the railway station. Quite a cunning plan by the owner - remove a window, allow the bad weather to create so much damage that theres no longer a ceiling for the council to need to protect.
Or am I being cynical?

See the piccies.

Scandalous..
Chrismg, if you care to use my pictures, please ask, or at least have the courtesy to credit me or link to my site.

As someone who has been in the club recently, I can confirm that the interior is not in great condition. As can be seen from the pictures (taken in April) the window has fallen or been pulled inside. This has since resulted in part of the ceiling coming in, as can be seen on the third picture, taken by a friend a couple of weeks back.
Some renovation work seems to be ongoing, but I'd question the logic of plastering rooms lower down the building when the building is not watertight. Of more concern is the local youth who frequent this building, access is (or was) easy, and any empty building has a high likelihood of being visited by your friendly local firestarters.

Some more of my pictures are here, I can post some more up if required.
Andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:44   #24
mez
God Member

spent many happy hours up con... especially monday nights watching local groups playing ie: FOUR PENNY'S tops they were .
Old 05-08-2007, 09:31   #25

AndyM,
Fair play pal. I'd no idea that the 'urban explorers' where local. Didn't realise the etiquette of using pictures on the net.
Just trying to make people aware about the building thats all.
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:31   #26
Give, give, give member

So who owns it now, and why is it being allowed to get into this state?

Anywhere else in the country, and this fabulous building would be seen as an asset.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:43   #27
God Member

Quote:

Anywhere else in the country, and this fabulous building would be seen as an asset.
I have seen sone of the ethnic minority rund the back in the past few weeks, they were doing some work on the back door so assume they are the owners though they could have just been workmen.
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:52   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Don't know Garinda, but Andm may know a little more .. have found him on another site with lots of interesting information, but daren't copy and paste without permission ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:04   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Don't know Garinda, but Andm may know a little more .. have found him on another site with lots of interesting information, but daren't copy and paste without permission ..
Try this one for owners in 2004:

Accrington Observer - Churchills paves way for future

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:13   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
wonder what happened to those " ambitious plans" submitted over 3 yrs ago?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..