Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 13:30   #31
Resting in peace

Re: Accy Con Club

Quote:
=cashman;456511]wonder what happened to those " ambitious plans" submitted over 3 yrs ago?
Hyndburn Council 'knocked' them back, because they wanted the Grand ballroom floors and ornate ceilings chandeliers etc etc etc keeping as they were, hence the missing windows mystery that just happened to 'fall' out. If the Council had have been a little more flexible it would have been done now.
I knew the guy who owned it, he may still do, he was an ok chap and allways considered us living so near it, the town could have had a nice development instead of a vandalised building. When are these intransigent Council 'planners' going to learn, nothing is forever, things have to change. Take a lesson from the Hargreaves Wharehouse at Church, you can't expect these owners to put/keep them exactly like they were and make them into a viable proposition!

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 05-08-2007 at 13:32.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2007, 16:55   #32

It's a shame it isn't on blackburn road, weatherspoon's would have been a likely buyer, they tend to like renovating large classical buildings that are packed with charachter.
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 17:22   #33
Junior Member+

Chrismg, no worries. I'm not from Accy but am fairly local - I roam the county so I regard myself as a Lancastrian rather than pigeon holing myself. And I was tipped off about this thread by someone.

I've no other information about the place I'm afraid. I try to research the places I visit as it helps put them into context, but I've not had the chance to visit Accy again to find out more. I'd love to see the place preserved and restored to it's former glory.
Andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 16:57   #34
Junior Member+

Latest pictures taken by a friend of mine.

REPORT , Accrington Conservative Club : Report , Charting the devastation - UK Urban Exploration Forums
Andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 17:14   #35
God Member

That is criminal, what was once a beautiful building left to rot like that. The council must know who owns the building surely, they should make them do something about it. The trouble is not many people live near it so it seems to be out of sight out of mind. Can we not get some sort of petition up from Accy Web?
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 18:00   #36

Nice one AndyM,
I've mentioned it to the council a couple of weeks backand also to the Accy observer. We'll have to wait and see if anything gets done about it.
I'll have to move on to the old Berkley (Opium) next to stop that decaying away to nothing (how long has the roof been missing)!
Don't even get me started on St. Johns Church.

I think I'm turning into Victor Meldrew of Accy!
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 18:01   #37

Or should that be Gryff Rhys Jones - Restoration!
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 18:06   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMG View Post
Nice one AndyM,
I've mentioned it to the council a couple of weeks backand also to the Accy observer. We'll have to wait and see if anything gets done about it.
I'll have to move on to the old Berkley (Opium) next to stop that decaying away to nothing (how long has the roof been missing)!

After they had the fire people started helping themselves to the roof. Is there no roof at all now?
Old 08-08-2007, 18:06   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMG View Post
Nice one AndyM,

After they had the fire people started helping themselves to the roof. Is there no roof at all now?
Old 08-08-2007, 20:22   #40

It is a pity because it is such a historic building. I remember it as the 'Con' but mainly as 'Churchills'................had some good times in there!
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 22:26   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
It is a pity because it is such a historic building. I remember it as the 'Con' but mainly as 'Churchills'................had some good times in there!
The bouncers threw somebody down the steps when it was Churchills. It ended in a fatality, that was the final blow and the place was shut down, don't think there is any chance of there ever being a nightclub there again, but building should be looked after.
Old 08-08-2007, 23:02   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
The bouncers threw somebody down the steps when it was Churchills. It ended in a fatality, that was the final blow and the place was shut down, don't think there is any chance of there ever being a nightclub there again, but building should be looked after.
beats me why i am still batting, been thrown down them and many more steps must be as thick as pigs***.
Old 08-08-2007, 23:06   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
beats me why i am still batting, been thrown down them and many more steps must be as thick as pigs***.
You said it
Old 08-08-2007, 23:10   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
You said it
i always tell things as they are berny.
Old 08-08-2007, 23:13   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i always tell things as they are berny.
If you hadn't said it somebody else would have, the comments on here just lately have been a bit near the knuckle

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..