Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 02:59   #46
Resting in peace

Re: Accy Con Club

I see the Accrington Observer have been reading my posts on accyweb, word for word exactly what was said, see this thread post 31, I have a good job to sue for copyright, this local rag is miles behind with this latest 'scoop'.
I have raised the plight of this once beautifull building on numerous occasions, they have also made the most basic of journalistic mistakes in not researching the subject correctly, they don't even know who owns the building, 'they only had to ask' yours truely.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2007, 03:16   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
I see the Accrington Observer have been reading my posts on accyweb, word for word exactly what was said, see this thread post 31, I have a good job to sue for copyright, this local rag is miles behind with this latest 'scoop'.
I have raised the plight of this once beautifull building on numerous occasions, they have also made the most basic of journalistic mistakes in not researching the subject correctly, they don't even know who owns the building, 'they only had to ask' yours truely.
Go for the throat and demand a payment.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:50   #48
God Member

I have many happy memories of Monday nights doing the "Con-walk " and attending the annual J.T.Rothwell company Christmas function, seems sad the local 'poo-bahs' cant get together and preserve the building as a local performing arts center 'ala' King Georges Hall in Blackburn, I allways thought part of the remit of elected officials/civic societies was to take care of the local infrastructure, and I think the 'Con-Club' regardless of politics is part of that infrastucture.
Maybe the present Hyndburn (Accrington & district) leadership are too young to remember , but I remember as a young-un the old Thwaites Arcade in Blackburn and what can only be described, and looking back as the pure vandalism when it was torn down to build the 'modern-day' shopping center .
So to the elected and civic leaders of Accrington please find a way to save the 'Con-Club' , I don't know, but create a preservation district/ 'gas lamp' area in the town center area , including the Town Hall/market Hall, Library, the old original Liberal Arts college, on the street up to the railway station ( the for-runner of Accy Tech on Sandy lane.) and the Con club .
thanks

Last edited by steeljack; 10-08-2007 at 05:53. Reason: addendum
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:23   #49

OOPS!!
Sorry Ianto.W, blame me for tipping off the Observer to the building and all associated bits. I didnt think they'd quote anybody word for word! I assume theres something in this weeks paper, haven't seen it myself.
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 14:13   #50
Resting in peace

Quote:
=ChrisMG;458465]OOPS!!
Sorry Ianto.W, blame me for tipping off the Observer to the building and all associated bits. I didnt think they'd quote anybody word for word! I assume theres something in this weeks paper, haven't seen it myself.
It's ok Chris MG it has started the ball rolling, their building company started securing it yesterday(the owners), it is Hyndburn Council that are the villains here, tied down by stupid conservation law's, that just allow things to go to rack and ruin. The Council have to seek a way round them, or this building will have to come down as surely as the ones at Church, (Hargreaves Wharehouse) good for nothing because of it's close proximity to WM Blythes hazardous plant.

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 10-08-2007 at 14:16.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 18:48   #51
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It's ok Chris MG it has started the ball rolling, their building company started securing it yesterday(the owners), it is Hyndburn Council that are the villains here, tied down by stupid conservation law's, that just allow things to go to rack and ruin. The Council have to seek a way round them, or this building will have to come down as surely as the ones at Church, (Hargreaves Wharehouse) good for nothing because of it's close proximity to WM Blythes hazardous plant.
Well done Ian.

One biting post on here, and there it is verbatim, on the front page of the Observer.

At least more people will know about this disgraceful situation.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 21:14   #52
Junior Member+

It was the journalist who wrote the article who tipped me off about this thread - they asked me a few questions about the place and also if they could use my pictures but when I said I'd want paying for their use, they lost interest.
Still, you can see the rest of them at The View From The North - Lancashire and The North West of England if you haven't already - there's been an awful lot of visits to the Conny Club gallery of late!
Andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 21:21   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym View Post
It was the journalist who wrote the article who tipped me off about this thread - they asked me a few questions about the place and also if they could use my pictures but when I said I'd want paying for their use, they lost interest.
Still, you can see the rest of them at The View From The North - Lancashire and The North West of England if you haven't already - there's been an awful lot of visits to the Conny Club gallery of late!
The journalist actually quoted one of accyweb members, if you look back through this thread you will find what he wrote in a thread by Ianto
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 21:30   #54
God Member

Quote:
just like they pinched my picture over the mayor affair allegdly
Old 13-08-2007, 14:54   #55
God Member

I have noticed that people driving by are now taking notice of the Con Club so maybe something will be done about it now.
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 23:13   #56
God Member

Has anybody read the article in the Observer? HBC are said to have made the club secure and are seeking to claim the costs back off the owners. When I read this I went and had a look, as far as I can see it is no more secure now than it was at this time last week. Why oh why do they claim to have done something when they quite obviously haven't?
Old 16-08-2007, 23:28   #57
Give, give, give member

If the building is listed, as reported, surely there are laws to protect it's upkeep?

They slap listed orders on damn power stations, it's a scandal this building is going to rack and ruin.

Old 16-08-2007, 23:34   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If the building is listed, as reported, surely there are laws to protect it's upkeep?

They slap listed orders on damn power stations, it's a scandal this building is going to rack and ruin.
It is down as listed and apparently they know who owns it now, though whether that is true I don't know. I will be having a proper look tomorrow and if no work has been done our local rag will be getting a strongly worded letter off me.
Old 16-08-2007, 23:35   #59
God Member

I rember it before it closed and it was a beautiful place to be in. As usual they have let a treasure go to ruin.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 23:37   #60
Give, give, give member

Perhaps the five people who voted they were Conservatives in our poll, could club together to buy and save it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..