Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2007, 23:39   #61
God Member

Re: Accy Con Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
I rember it before it closed and it was a beautiful place to be in. As usual they have let a treasure go to ruin.
I am begining to wonder if that is the plan, leave it till it isto late then pull it down. If you read the letters page in the Observer our neighbour has requested this, so they will get more daylight into their living room, can you believe the ignorance of some people?
Old 16-08-2007, 23:43   #62
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I am begining to wonder if that is the plan, leave it till it isto late then pull it down. If you read the letters page in the Observer our neighbour has requested this, so they will get more daylight into their living room, can you believe the ignorance of some people?
That letter made me laugh too.

He must have realised his house would be dark if it's next to the Con Club. After all it's stood there for well over a hundred years, it wasn't magically built there overnight by some pixies.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 23:50   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That letter made me laugh too.

He must have realised his house would be dark if it's next to the Con Club. After all it's stood there for well over a hundred years, it wasn't magically built there overnight by some pixies.
He is just an awkward person' perhaps he deserves our pity, but the way things are going with that club he may well get his wish because it will end up being dangerous if left much longer
Old 17-08-2007, 02:36   #64

I used to go up there in the 60's,(ha, im ageing myself). We used to go to the dances on a Saturday night, I remember they used to search our bags for booze, because we weren't allowed to drink. Great times!
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 02:44   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post

If they are that desperate for more light in their living room they should move to a farm get all they want then. They cant pull down Accrington's heritage just because of lack of light. Should have thought of that before they moved.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 02:52   #66
God Member

maybe I've been away from the area too long , but I can't remember any kind of residential properties around that area , they were all solicitor offices and stuff like that , with maybe an occassional flat above, but then again when I check the town out on Google earth there have been lots of changes , I tried finding the site of the old swimming baths and the whole area has changed
either that or early senility is setting in
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 02:59   #67
God Member

All change steeljack and some of it not for the better.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 18:11   #68
Senior Member+

See the observer like this story now, shame they didnt pick it up on the own accord.

Just to note in this weeks observer it says built in 1981.

This should be 1891.
Old 17-08-2007, 18:15   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
See the observer like this story now, shame they didnt pick it up on the own accord.

Just to note in this weeks observer it says built in 1981.

This should be 1891.
Well spotted, I read the story and didn't notice that error!
Old 03-09-2007, 17:16   #70

Glad to see the council have secured the building. Just a small point, the whole reason I contacted both the council and the Observer in the first place was because of the missing window in the ballroom that lets the weather (and flying rats) to wreck the building.
Whats the one thing the council didn't do....Yes you guessed it
the window's still missing!

At least securing the building encouraged the local scumbags to move on to start destroying Lar de Dars! And all they got was a caution.
A*$ holes. They should be locked up.
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 18:06   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMG View Post
Glad to see the council have secured the building. Just a small point, the whole reason I contacted both the council and the Observer in the first place was because of the missing window in the ballroom that lets the weather (and flying rats) to wreck the building.
Whats the one thing the council didn't do....Yes you guessed it
the window's still missing!

At least securing the building encouraged the local scumbags to move on to start destroying Lar de Dars! And all they got was a caution.
A*$ holes. They should be locked up.
It is a disgrace leaving that window out. As I have said before in this thread it makes you wonder if it is being left like that intentionally so that there won't be anything that can be done to restore the building!
Old 20-01-2008, 19:30   #72

Hi , appologies for resurecting this thread , but after the outrage and publicity generated last August

as i suspected at the time the " council action " was simply to board up the doors and windows , NOTHING has beed done to maintain / waterproof the building

and now , thanks to the further vandalism that the building has endured , today i was able to document the further damage that has resulted from 10 months of negect .

please read my rant , and view the pics at the 28DL urban exploration forum .

link

thank you
andyj23uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 19:32   #73
Resident Waffler

It's a crying shame. I wonder if the Con features in the council's masterplan for the revamp of Accy.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 13:36   #74
God Member

It would not surprise me to discover that Accrington does not even feature in the council's "Masterplan" which, if memory serves, is due for delivery in a couple of weeks.

This sad and completely unecessary waste of the borough's heritage is entirely down to HBC and its ridiculously inefficient and incompetant officers.

By the way, thank you Andyj for bringing this shameful situation to the attention of the public.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 21-01-2008 at 13:38.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 15:04   #75
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thank you Andyj for the new photos, am totally dismayed at the state this once magnificant building has become. H.B.C. should HANG THEIR HEADS IN SHAME.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..