Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2008, 15:20   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Accy Con Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It's a crying shame. I wonder if the Con features in the council's masterplan for the revamp of Accy.
Sort of. The Tories were forced into the Masterplan. However they are trying to disown it. At a public meeting of it's launch Clr Britcliffe said the Council welcomes (outside) ideas but he wanted to make clear they are not the Councils. This week he specifically said the masterplan had the new bus station behind Quik Save but that was not his view (just the view of the masterplanners) and did anyone agree with him.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2008, 15:29   #77
Senior Member+

Silly question, but who owns the Con Club?

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 16:58   #78
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

ya know i cant think where the con club is!

where is it
Old 21-01-2008, 17:11   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
ya know i cant think where the con club is!

where is it

ON Cannon St and here are a few photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Con Club-A-Door-P.jpg (82.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Con Club-B-Door-P.jpg (88.9 KB, 10 views)
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 17:19   #80
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

ooooooooh churchills!!!....ta bert
Old 21-01-2008, 20:49   #81
God Member

If this is the councils idea of a revamp, tis the council officers who should be revamped!
Bet your life it comes down to lack of ideas, money, red tape and back handers!
Old 21-01-2008, 23:17   #82
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Sort of. The Tories were forced into the Masterplan. However they are trying to disown it. At a public meeting of it's launch Clr Britcliffe said the Council welcomes (outside) ideas but he wanted to make clear they are not the Councils. This week he specifically said the masterplan had the new bus station behind Quik Save but that was not his view (just the view of the masterplanners) and did anyone agree with him.

Britcliffe, legs akimbo, sat daintly on the fence?

Surely not.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 12:01   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Bus behind quicksave? Yes lets move our customers further away from the market town we should be trying to regenerate.
Old 22-01-2008, 21:54   #84

Sorry Mr C, Councils dont have any shame, It will be all about money and development, looks like they havent learnt anything from the 60s.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 11:13   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
Silly question, but who owns the Con Club?

hi - as far as i can tell a firm called :

city pace limited

owned the building in 2006 , i have not been able to find out much about them - and undertaing a record search at the land registry costs money - so i did not persue it
andyj23uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 11:26   #86
Senior Member+

Thanks for that. The reason I asked the question was, I was wondering if the council was allowing it to fall apart so that they could buy it on the cheap or obtain a compulsory purchase order.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 01:37   #87
God Member

civic vandalism by all political parties
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:03   #88
God Member

Had somebody ay my door a few weeks back asking if I had been troubled by squatters. He did leave a telephone number (just a mobile) to ring in case I was having any problems. Having seen the pics and how much the place has deteriorated over last few months think I will be trying to get in touch. It looks like the whole place is ready to come down and as I am just at the back of it I am quite concerned. HBC should be ashamed letting this beautiful building go to wrack and ruin!!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 13:37   #89

Well I tried my best last August. I instigated the Observer story about the state of the place. I complained to the council about the missing windows in the ballroom. What has been done sweet f.a.
I think somebody at the council is in cahoots with the company that wants to develope the building into apartments. That would then make another craphole like the former cinema on Edgar Street now is.
I'm assuming that the once 1'largest sprung dance floor in the country' is now completely destroyed.
Glad I'm not in the country anymore.
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 13:47   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMG View Post
Well I tried my best last August. I instigated the Observer story about the state of the place. I complained to the council about the missing windows in the ballroom. What has been done sweet f.a.
I think somebody at the council is in cahoots with the company that wants to develope the building into apartments. That would then make another craphole like the former cinema on Edgar Street now is.
I'm assuming that the once 1'largest sprung dance floor in the country' is now completely destroyed.
Glad I'm not in the country anymore.
Wouldn't be suprised if your theory is right there Chris, many of our civic representatives have fingers in property pies.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..