Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 13:44   #1

Accy Con Club

Has anybody covered this topic before? It's an absolute scandal that this building is being left to rot away. kids are in and out of it, along with the pigeons. Next thing you know it'll be on fire, just like the old Berkely (Opium). No one gives a damn anymore.
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2007, 13:53   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Accy Con Club

Is that what was Churchills?
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 13:59   #3
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMG View Post
Has anybody covered this topic before? It's an absolute scandal that this building is being left to rot away. kids are in and out of it, along with the pigeons. Next thing you know it'll be on fire, just like the old Berkely (Opium). No one gives a damn anymore.
It has been touched on in some of the 'back' threads, the people who own this building have let this building get into this state because the council kept refusing planning permission on the grounds that, 'the grand ballroom' be kept as it was. There was no way they could keep it that way and convert it into flats/offices, so the planners must shoulder some of the blame,it's time the shackles were removed and let the development procede, or it will finish up like the Hargreaves Wharehouse at Church.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 14:04   #4
God Member

Quote:
That's a real s.o.b. ... I remember that I was playing snooker there when the news of JFK's assassination came on the TV.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 14:05   #5
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
Is that what was Churchills?
In short yes,but it will always be referred to as the Conservative Club by the older end. It was in fact the largest 'Con' in the country.
Old 02-08-2007, 14:10   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
In short yes,but it will always be referred to as the Conservative Club by the older end. It was in fact the largest 'Con' in the country.
I've always known it as Churchills, i'm too young to remember it as the Con Club. lol. and i'm not suprised its the largest its huge!!!

Such a shame too because its a beautiful building.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 14:17   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
The "older end", mmm, I guess that's where I belong Nice to know one's place
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 14:23   #8
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
I've always known it as Churchills, i'm too young to remember it as the Con Club. lol. and i'm not suprised its the largest its huge!!!

Such a shame too because its a beautiful building.
It surely is Lolly, it is a grade 2 listed building, this is sometimes a curse on old buildings as it restricts the type of planning that can be granted. They should let the owners get on with altering it, before it is completely in ruins. It is directly behind my bedroom window and I do not care what use they put it to, within reason, it was a club when I bought the house in 1964 so it makes no difference to me, as long as the noise is controlled etc.
Old 02-08-2007, 14:44   #9

It's starting to make sense now!
I always wondered why there was a window missing on the top floor. You could see it from the railway station. Quite a cunning plan by the owner - remove a window, allow the bad weather to create so much damage that theres no longer a ceiling for the council to need to protect.
Or am I being cynical?

See the piccies.

Scandalous..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3098.jpg (339.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3099.jpg (381.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg ajf4671cbq5.jpg (56.1 KB, 56 views)
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 15:06   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
It's starting to make sense now!
I always wondered why there was a window missing on the top floor. You could see it from the railway station. Quite a cunning plan by the owner - remove a window, allow the bad weather to create so much damage that theres no longer a ceiling for the council to need to protect.
Or am I being cynical?

See the piccies.

Scandalous..
It is scandalas that the place is being left to rot.

By the way did you ask the person who took them photo's if you could use them? Copyright and all that.
Old 02-08-2007, 15:09   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

such a shame, one of the best places i was ever thrown out of.
Old 02-08-2007, 15:58   #12

I played drums there one night when it was the Berkley. One of the owners who played the organ, Jack Lowry invited me along as I had played with Jack at a couple of other venues many years earlier. I believe Jack also had a pub in Accy. Does anyone remember him?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 16:40   #13
God Member

I went there every Saturday night as a teenager. Remember 'Eddie McGarry and his Broadcasting Band'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 17:24   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
I played drums there one night when it was the Berkley. One of the owners who played the organ, Jack Lowry invited me along as I had played with Jack at a couple of other venues many years earlier. I believe Jack also had a pub in Accy. Does anyone remember him?
It was never the Berkley, that is on Willow Street Accy Con is on Cannon Street the next street up.
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 17:57   #15
Senior Member+

the ballroom was the largest sprung
wood floor in uk i remember it took for ever walking round it
watching all the girls dancing around their handbags

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..