Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 10:48   #1
I am Banned

Accy obsever

This paper has become an absolute joke! I used to love reading the observer of a weekend but it now takes me 5 minutes to read the lot,and then i am treated to photographs of Nuttall Park which i believe is in Rossendale.I can only assume that Accrington is devoid of all crime now as none is reported and only 3 people appeared before the bench this week,and when there are more people in the court report is for having no tv license.....i suggest the editors of this once great publication either employ some decent local journalists or scrap the paper altogether...i for one have stopped buying it,its a travesty.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2010, 11:39   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Accy obsever

Oh, I don't know goove we've had some great headlines of late like "Garage fire" and "Man broke window".
marcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:22   #3

I think Nuttall Park is in Ramsbottom
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 13:27   #4
Resting in Peace

If you look there is a nice photo of a counselor wearing his home made yellow medal

Last edited by Mick; 10-12-2010 at 13:55.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 13:32   #5
Beacon of light

Yes Mick...spotted that....thopugh he is slipping only FIVE pics of him in the publication this week. He will be crying himself to sleep over that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 13:53   #6
Full Member+

The Observer did a "send in your snow pictures" feature last winter - quite fun at the time but they continued printing 'em till about the end of spring!!!!.......I lost all interest at about the middle of March....!!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 14:37   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

have yer only just realized its going downhill Groove? has been much posted on here in last 12 months, general consensus seems to be= "Its about as much use as a fart in a space suit"
Old 10-12-2010, 18:12   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
have yer only just realized its going downhill Groove? has been much posted on here in last 12 months, general consensus seems to be= "Its about as much use as a fart in a space suit"
Even one of them gets your attention cashy
Old 10-12-2010, 21:57   #9
Common Sense Member

The man Britcliffe can hear the sweet whirr of a camera motor at a thousand paces and will stop at nothing to make sure he is in front of the next shot. I can only imagine his frustration at not being part of the Channel 4 Dispatches recce in Accrington with myself and Miles Parkinson this morning.

I haven't bought The Accrington Observer this week but I wonder if there was a mention of the en masse Conservative walkout during a vote on Tesco and the Market Hall this week? Petty politics? We're talking about the fate of the borough here and they effect moral outrage when it suits to avoid thorny subjects.

The Conservatives are a bunch of sheep, whipped into line by a man who dangles paid committee positions in order to get his own way. It really is time for a change.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 22:06   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Not a mention of that but fear not theres a lovely photo of his highness wi the 4 freemen n he's wearing his bravery medal.
Old 10-12-2010, 23:48   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Every other month I send in details of the forthcoming Parkinson's disease support meet, in Accy Town Hall, and ask nicely if it could be included in the What's On section.

Book clubs, ladies groups, bring and buys, all seem fine, just not a charitable support group, which benefits many people in the area.

I think they've printed the details twice, in the last two years.

I won't be bothering in future. There are other ways we can publish the details of the meetings. Many with easier ways of reaching more people, than your dwindling circulation figures would allow us to.

I also won't bother buying it anymore. I might glance at a family member's copy, when it's given to me third hand. For old times sake.

Rest in peace Accrington Observer, a once great, and much loved local newspaper.

What we're left with in it's place, is quite frankly, and literally, rubbish.
Ain't missed reading it since posting that, earlier in the autumn.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:20   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes Mick...spotted that....thopugh he is slipping only FIVE pics of him in the publication this week. He will be crying himself to sleep over that.

yes.i counted those too Marg....why is HE in the paper more than the Mayor? he's a pompass (sp?) pratt, he gives me the creeps, the sooner he gets voted out the better

and Mr Pritchard, please will you start smiling when they take your pics
Old 11-12-2010, 12:02   #13

yes it was good to read i still get it but like you say it dose not take long to read it
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 14:18   #14
Resting in Peace

Re: Accy observer

When my Daughter came round this morning she brought a copy of the Obs, and I was rather surprised that there are two things in this weeks edition that didn't merit a mention on here. The first was the sad death of former Labour Councillor Ted Hillman, I knew Ted very well as we were on a couple of school governors bodies together, Ted was one of those councillors who class as salt of the earth, no great shakes when it came to discussing multi million pound budgets, but ask him to sort a problem out for you and he'd be there in a flash, just surprised no one mentioned his death, but I suppose its a case out of mind when you've outlived your usefulness, as I know all too well. RIP Ted.
The second one was an article on the expenses claimed by Graham Jones in his first 3 months as an MP, now I'm not going to go into a tirade about our MP, its not easy going to London to live for the first few months plus getting all your ducks in a row and getting organised when your a newby, but if it had been a Tory I have a feeling that Garinda's living of the fat of the land, may just have made a reappearance
Old 11-12-2010, 19:22   #15
Resting in Peace

Sorta' agree with you Jaysay on Ted Hillman ... was the usual announcement, but they could have done a small article on his achievements.

Ted Hillman - Accrington Observer

As to Graham ... well, he is one person I would trust implicitly not overstep the mark on expenses.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..