Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: what will you vote on the 5th of may
yes 12 27.91%
no 25 58.14%
undecided 3 6.98%
wont vote 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: alternative vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
But it's the truth and I see it as part of my job to make sure the electorate are better informed about who we are and what we do. Since I got elected I have written several letters to every household, taken over running of the noticeboards and made as much of an effort as I can online to publicise what the Rishton councillors actually do.

I want everyone in Rishton to at least know who their councillors are because some of them still don't. When I am out in the village I always have some cards and a notepad with me so that if someone does present me with a problem it can be properly documented there and then. Whilst canvassing I have been able to report several things because some residents still don't know that a quick phonecall to any one of us could have dealt with it.

The fault lies with the councillors in most cases and in three years time when I go asking for people to vote for me again I would hope that most people at least recognise my name.

There really is no excuse for a politician who claims to represent the community and yet is never seen.
I have seen My Tory councillor around 7 or 8 times since last May on the estate where I live, haven't seen hide or hair of her Labour counterpart
Old 05-04-2011, 09:02   #47
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I have seen My Tory councillor around 7 or 8 times since last May on the estate where I live, haven't seen hide or hair of her Labour counterpart
The same will be true of me in parts of Rishton, some areas take up much more of my time than others and so lots of residents still don't really know who I am. However, my previous statement still applies and if you have a problem then take it up with your councillors, that's what we're here for.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:23   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The same will be true of me in parts of Rishton, some areas take up much more of my time than others and so lots of residents still don't really know who I am. However, my previous statement still applies and if you have a problem then take it up with your councillors, that's what we're here for.
Oh I have no problems Ken, just pointing out and clarifying about your statement about not seeing councillors, if I do have problems I do know the correct way to go about things, think I grasped that during my involvement with local government
Old 05-04-2011, 09:41   #49
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I haven't seen any councillor of any party or any counterpart since last May .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:45   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

aint seen any fer years.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:46   #51
JCB

Quote:
But it's the truth and I see it as part of my job to make sure the electorate are better informed about who we are and what we do. Since I got elected I have written several letters to every household, taken over running of the noticeboards and made as much of an effort as I can online to publicise what the Rishton councillors actually do.

I want everyone in Rishton to at least know who their councillors are because some of them still don't. When I am out in the village I always have some cards and a notepad with me so that if someone does present me with a problem it can be properly documented there and then
Well done .

I only wish all the councillors and election candidates would do the same .
Old 05-04-2011, 09:59   #52
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
As opposed to the Billions of £s and many thousands of lives , (many of them British) wasted on an illegal war (Iraq) co-started/sponsored by the ex leader of the Party of which you are so proud to support .
I admit to voting for the Greg Pope at the time of the Iraq War . It took me a long time to realise what a hypocrite I was . If Margaret Thatcher had been Prime Minister I would have been opposing it from the start .

Such is the tribalism of party politics .
Old 05-04-2011, 10:12   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I haven't seen any councillor of any party or any counterpart since last May .
Well to be honest JCB until this term (starting last May) I have very rarely seen a councillor from ANY party around the estate where I live and we have had councillors from both parties who actually live on the estate, but never saw them up and about. As I said earlier I have seen the Tory councillor knocking about on numerous occasions and not during the day, but early evenings and weekends
Old 07-04-2011, 19:57   #54
Senior Member+

I agree with Ken. Local government deserves it's own debate rather than a national context.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 20:29   #55
Give, give, give member

Shan't be voting for it.

More unfair than the present system.

Would have voted in favour of proportional representation.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 21:49   #56
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
All these factors I think form the basis of local election results which is shame. Councillor Britcliffe has wasted tens of £millions and under normal circumstances would never have been allowed anywhere near the leaders office.
I am interested to know why we are living in not normal circumstances, please explain what you mean Graham.
Old 07-04-2011, 21:51   #57
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Would have voted in favour of proportional representation.
I don't fully understand Google Page Ranking but I think it is better than this AV.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:31   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am interested to know why we are living in not normal circumstances, please explain what you mean Graham.
Well normal circumstances to Graham is a 35 seat labour majority council Neil
Old 10-04-2011, 12:53   #59

Be very careful about Alternative Voting, we have here in Australia a similar system for the Federal Government, guess what some of the minority parties get in and stuff things up.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 17:49   #60
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
Be very careful about Alternative Voting, we have here in Australia a similar system for the Federal Government, guess what some of the minority parties get in and stuff things up.
Parties get in here under the first past the post system and stuff things up every time .

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..