Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: what will you vote on the 5th of may
yes 12 27.91%
no 25 58.14%
undecided 3 6.98%
wont vote 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 20:21   #61
God Member

Re: alternative vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well to be honest JCB until this term (starting last May) I have very rarely seen a councillor from ANY party around the estate where I live and we have had councillors from both parties who actually live on the estate, but never saw them up and about. As I said earlier I have seen the Tory councillor knocking about on numerous occasions and not during the day, but early evenings and weekends
seen one round here yep the scottish christian party Contact Scottish Christian Party theyve even got all their billboards in the town centre..
Old 11-04-2011, 09:14   #62
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
seen one round here yep the scottish christian party Contact Scottish Christian Party theyve even got all their billboards in the town centre..
God botherers knock on doors 52 weeks to year, don't forget to cancel them when you go on holiday
Old 11-04-2011, 17:47   #63
JCB

Quote:
God botherers knock on doors 52 weeks to year, don't forget to cancel them when you go on holiday
Jehovah's Witnesses don't take any part in elections , Jaysay .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 18:16   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Jehovah's Witnesses don't take any part in elections , Jaysay .
They're not the only God botherers though JCB
Old 21-04-2011, 16:54   #65
Senior Member+

The AV system is the system that is used in the London Mayor Elections and what got Tory Boris Johnson in as Mayor in 2008.

Baically it doesn't matter who gets in if you look at the way it works they all fall down at the end and people end up hating them, whoever it is.

I think I'll probably vote for AV then you can make strategic votes.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 18:45   #66
God Member

The more I look into this AV system the less I like it.
Take the 3 main parties.. if your preference is the tory candidate then your second is likley to be the lib-dem rather than labour.. I think the same goes for most labour voters..second choice lib-dem (or the monster looney bisciut party)... so little wonder the lib-dems are all for this system.. it could win them seats just by coming second!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 20:22   #67
Give, give, give member

Even though most Labour politicans are against the introduction of AV, it's the method they use, when voting for their party leader.

I would vote for Proportional Representation, but not for this tin-pot half-way house.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 20:49   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Even though most Labour politicans are against the introduction of AV, it's the method they use, when voting for their party leader.
True..and I can see why the tories and labour don't like the idea of AV.. it would probably mean less seats for both of those parties.. but I won't be voting for something that, to be honest I don't fully understand.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 23:08   #69
Senior Member+

If AV is so good why are there only 3 (?) countries that use it - only Australia. Fiji and I think one other, use it and Fiji are dropping it very soon and i think Australia are considering dropping it.
Surely, if it is better than first past the post then more countries would use it.
Of course the Lib-Dems want it as it is their only chance of getting more seats. The majority of votes that they get are only protest votes against the Tory and Labour parties/personalities.
They must pray at every election for a hung parliament so that they can become King Makers.
Old 22-04-2011, 23:12   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
If AV is so good why are there only 3 (?) countries that use it - only Australia. Fiji and I think one other, use it and Fiji are dropping it very soon and i think Australia are considering dropping it.
Surely, if it is better than first past the post then more countries would use it.
Of course the Lib-Dems want it as it is their only chance of getting more seats. The majority of votes that they get are only protest votes against the Tory and Labour parties/personalities.
They must pray at every election for a hung parliament so that they can become King Makers.
You summed the useless ******* up very well yon Barrie.
Old 23-04-2011, 08:47   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Eloquently put sir
Old 23-04-2011, 09:08   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Eloquently put sir
thats what i said.
Old 23-04-2011, 09:30   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats what i said.
Ya but not as eloquently cashy
Old 23-04-2011, 10:23   #74
Resting in Peace

Can I vote no as my first choice and yes as my second?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 15:32   #75
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
True..and I can see why the tories and labour don't like the idea of AV.. it would probably mean less seats for both of those parties.. but I won't be voting for something that, to be honest I don't fully understand.
Those who say that the 1st past the post system will avoid confusion and watered down government, seem to have forgot we have a coalition now because the 1st past the post system hasn't worked at the 2010 election - thus we have this coalition.

With AV; MP's will have to work harder to keep their seat - I am personally sick of MP's who have seats for life off less than 50% of the consituency vote.

What is AV? | Yes to fairer votes - Yes to AV - Alternative Vote

If they spent the same amount of time on TV, explaining how the AV works rather than promoting that Royal Wedding - this would be a far better country!

AV will mean that politicians and politics is fairer.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..