Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: what will you vote on the 5th of may
yes 12 27.91%
no 25 58.14%
undecided 3 6.98%
wont vote 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 21:32   #1
God Member

Question alternative vote

the referendem for the alternative vote is on the fith of may whats everybodies view. do you think it is a good idea,will it work ?
Old 01-04-2011, 21:35   #2
God Member

Re: alternative vote

The Alternative Vote (AV) System
Old 01-04-2011, 22:01   #3
Resting in Peace

Afraid I would only vote for the one candidate I prefer ... would be very focused on this. No intention of putting Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss 'wasteofspace' in second/third or fourth choice.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 22:15   #4
God Member

I'll be voting for it. If a seat is being contested by 2 people then fair enough the person with the majority of votes is the winner. However if more than 2 people are standing it's fairly common that the winner with the most votes does not actually have the majority of the votes.
Old 01-04-2011, 22:27   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i put won't vote,cos no faith in any of the parties, but if i was compelled to choose would be remain as is,
Old 01-04-2011, 22:36   #6
God Member

If I were still there, I would vote "yes". We have the same sorta debate going on here. It's going to be a hard sell to the voters, most of whom are set in their political ways. But it will, I believe, go someway to addressing the problem of having majority governments elected by a minority of the voters.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 23:52   #7
God Member

I'd vote for a butchers dog if I thought it would get rid of the system we have here , once in, they are in for life or until they quit , incumbants have an over 85% chance of being re-elected, what with gerrymandering to 'create' safe seats and no spending caps our system sucks.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:31   #8
Resting in Peace

My feelings on this are exactly the same as Kate, I would only be voting for one candidate, as I'm sure others would as well
Old 02-04-2011, 08:53   #9
Common Sense Member

My own personal feelings on this are very much to stick with what we have until someone persuades me that arbitrarily turning losers into winners is a good idea.

I have a feeling that this will become a real hot potato for politicians in the coming weeks.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:01   #10
Super Moderator

If I vote, I'll opt to keep the present system, but it's hardly the most burning issue of the day in the eyes of the public, is it? When talk turns to politics in pubs or at work, how often do you hear it discussed? The whole thing is just the Tories' way of keeping the LibDems on side in their present economic programme.

Why don't they have a referendum on something that concerns the public more like membership of the EU? Because all politicians, Tory, Labour and LibDems are scared that the public might give the "wrong" answer. Democracy? You must be joking!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:14   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
My own personal feelings on this are very much to stick with what we have until someone persuades me that arbitrarily turning losers into winners is a good idea.

I have a feeling that this will become a real hot potato for politicians in the coming weeks.
My thoughts entirely Ken except your last statement, don't think people will be that bothered really, as I don't think it will increase the turnout at the polling stations on May 5th
Old 02-04-2011, 09:30   #12
Senior Member+

I suspect that with AV/Google Page Ranking, or whatever alternative to the present system is proposed, then we would see a whole load of losers being elected.
The LibDems have always supported Google Page Ranking because it is the only way they can get any useful number of MPs, but even with that they are only ever likely to be a prostitution party - willing to sell themselves to whichever of the two main parties promise them the most power.
Is the current system really broke? If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:33   #13
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
My thoughts entirely Ken except your last statement, don't think people will be that bothered really, as I don't think it will increase the turnout at the polling stations on May 5th
I was meaning more between themselves as there are bound to be party splits on this. My own stance would appear to be different to Ed Milliband, for example. As far as the general public are concerned, less than half actually vote in elections and I would imagine that many people don't fully understand what AV entails.

The situation we are in nationally is potentially what we could get countrywide - people in power that fewer people voted for and it smacks to me of a back door way for runners up to gain control. If someone gets more votes than someone else, however small the numbers or however narrow the margin, then they should win in my opinion.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:37   #14
God Member

i wanted to vote 'Yes' as my first preference and 'No' as my second preference but unfortunately the present system does not allow it.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:39   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
i wanted to vote 'Yes' as my first preference and 'No' as my second preference but unfortunately the present system does not allow it.
Very good, Tealeaf ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..