Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2006, 22:16   #16
God Member

Re: Am I Racist?

I see no racism. There is nothing wrong with pointing out a persons race.
Before I read this whole racism thing, I was about to post saying, theres a load of white modded car users at mcdonalds car park right now
Old 28-09-2006, 22:42   #17
Give, give, give member

I'm ok, some of my best friends are.......car drivers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 00:39   #18
God Member

What makes that post seem racist is the fact that you sid it isn't, it draws attention to the fact that you're mentioning race. All it's doing in reality is labeling them into a group. There are lots of groups, Pakistanis, poles, chinese, men, women, chavs.
The question should be, why are they mainly pakistani or asian drivers. There's obviously some relevance if they are mainly asians.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 00:39   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

don't know who you are accyjay but i do not think you are racist, most folk that are called racist by knowalls, are more often than not just people who call a spade a spade, something that is beyond the grasp of the P.C.brigade. but its something ive come to expect these days.
Old 29-09-2006, 06:52   #20
Resident Waffler

What is the difference between a spade and a shovel?

Actually you got me wondering there Cashman. You know that "s" word used to be a derogatory term for a black person. (Are we supposed to say black these days or are we joining the "people of colour" brigade now? It all gets very confusing.) Anyway, I was wondering. Did it come from the phrase "calling a spade a spade" ?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 07:23   #21
God Member

Non of "us " are racist.. he he.. or is it predudice? I do know of members of this site that shall we say do like to state race and colour when posting.. in defence of silverman I doubt anything along those lines, I think you are being to quick to judge people poppy.. its early days..
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 07:26   #22
mez
God Member

willow .i thought a shovel was the one with the small handle for when we had the good old coal fire ......sorry off thread .......but there you go !!!!
Old 29-09-2006, 07:45   #23
Resident Waffler

Yes I thought that too Mez until I called a long handled thing a spade and Busman told me it was a long handled shovel! Spades are flat apparently and shovels have little sides up.

Old 29-09-2006, 10:35   #24

Wow. I certainly didn't expect the old (I am not a racist I have lots of asian friends) line. that is a classic racist response.

I do think you have all ganged up and over reacted though. For anyone who is really upset then I apologise.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 10:48   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Wow. I certainly didn't expect the old (I am not a racist I have lots of asian friends) line. that is a classic racist response.

I do think you have all ganged up and over reacted though. For anyone who is really upset then I apologise.
Appology accepted.

Some of my best friends are poppies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red%20poppies.jpg (187.1 KB, 3 views)

Old 29-09-2006, 12:14   #26
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:

What everyone has tried to tell you is that they see people as people but, in the particular, relevant post, there was an identifiable group. Suppose the group mentioned had been young women aged 22. Would you have been so quick to yell "Anti-youth Mysoganist!"? No, I doubt you would. And if I were to say that some of my friends are 22 year-old women would there be an equivalent label to Racist that you could put on me?

It isn't those who see a trend amongst a particular section of Society who cause friction. It's those see any reference to an ethnic minority group as, somehow, derogatory and wrong. Your remarks contribute to, and exacerbate, mistrust and ill-feeling between races and cultures.
Old 29-09-2006, 12:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Some of my best friends are poppies.
You can't half pick'em

LOL
Old 29-09-2006, 12:43   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You can't half pick'em

LOL
Pickin' 'em's fine...its when you try to smoke them the trouble starts.

Old 29-09-2006, 13:11   #29
Resident Waffler

Quote:

Apology accepted even if it was diluted by the preamble.

I am one of those who has friends of different ethnic origins and I have to actually stop and think about it because first and foremost they are human beings. One mixed race family I have to think hard to remember which one of the parents is which but to be told it's a racist response for any of us to comment that we have friends of different races when we are accused of being racist is just as hurtful.

Old 29-09-2006, 13:17   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I am one of those who has friends of different ethnic origins and I have to actually stop and think about it because first and foremost they are human beings. .
oh my god. what have I just read. you actually posted that. you have to stop and think coloured people are human beings.

disgusted!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..