Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2006, 14:34   #46
Foreign Correspondent

Re: Am I Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
If I was the person wearing the Star of David and you told me about the pork I would appreciate that Biillcat, just as I do appreciate anyone warning me about sherry trifle knowing I'm a Mormon.
Actually, I think it would be thoughtful to note any dish that contained alcoholic beverages as an ingredient - and not just for Mormons. There are a lot of folks who try to avoid it. Friends of Bill W., just to cite another large group.

Question, as long as we are on the topic. Suppose I were serving a hot dish where wine or beer had been used an an ingredient. The alcohol boils off quickly in the cooking, leaving only the flavor. Would that be a problem if served to a Mormon? Or, as I noted when at a Kiwanis convention in Salt Lake City, there are some Mormons who avoid caffeinated beverages. What if coffee was used in a recipe?

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2006, 15:03   #47
Resident Waffler

This is a bit of a grey area Billcat.

Where the alcohol is all gone then there is no problem as far as I and many other people are concerned. It's like the lagers where they brew it first for the taste and then remove the alcohol afterwards. There are some people who prefer to avoid it altogether just in case "a bit got left behind" but here we are getting into the realms of the "letter of the law versus the spirit of the law" if you'll pardon the pun. There is nothing stated as far as I am aware to say we shouldn't eat or drink those items.

Now the coffee one, well if it's real coffee that has been used then that's a no-no because we are not supposed to drink tea or coffee and that includes it in any form. However, if it's coffee flavouring that hasn't actually been made from real coffee then that's OK.

There are also some pedants who have taken it upon themselves to assume that it is because of the caffeine content of the coffee and despite the fact that they won't drink decaf just in case they are wrong they also avoid hot chocolate and especially coca cola because of the caffeine but I drink coke and also Dr.Pepper.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 15:15   #48
Foreign Correspondent

Okay, we are quickly getting to the point where there are too many rules for non-members to remember. Often, it is better just to ask what is acceptable (as I do with Jewish friends, some of whom keep Kosher, some not) for that particular individual.

Thanks for the response!

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 15:35   #49
Resident Waffler

Well really it's up to the Mormon to be sure of what they are eating but if we do accidentally consume something we shouldn't because we don't know it's in there we are under no condemnation for that.

Old 29-09-2006, 15:45   #50
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Wow. I certainly didn't expect the old (I am not a racist I have lots of asian friends) line. that is a classic racist response.
I never could/can understand why this is thought to be a racist statement. Yes, you certainly could be racist even having some "ethnic" friends but why is it straight off to being a racist statement?

I really think, years ago, someone just started saying this as an opinion and it's been accepted as a fact "if you say the above, then you are absolutely racist." Pure cockamammy if ya ask me! (IMHO)

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 15:49   #51
Resident Waffler

Absolutely spot on LYY (Do you mind if I call you LYY?)

I'm still hoping for an apology from Poppy for misquoting me and then accusing me of being racist.

Old 29-09-2006, 15:59   #52

Yeti Pentathlon Champion!
Cash Beast Champion!

Angry Re: Am I Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
oh my god. what have I just read. you actually posted that. you have to stop and think coloured people are human beings.

disgusted!
We are all coloured poppy, its probably you who has a problem-get a life
norwich stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 16:13   #53
Resident Waffler

Can I just reassure you Norwich Stanley that I did not actually say that I have to remind myself that anyone is human. That was Poppy misrepresentng what I'd said and I am deeply ofended by her doing so.

Old 29-09-2006, 16:17   #54

Cash Beast Champion!

I know you didnt say that willow-thats why i was having a go at poppy,i was sticking up for you,not that you need me to.
Old 29-09-2006, 16:32   #55
Resident Waffler

ta I've run out of karma to spread cos I've just given my daily quota but consider yourself smiled at.

I wonder if the non-painting types amongst us realise that so-called "flesh pink" is actually a pale brown?

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 29-09-2006 at 16:41.
Old 29-09-2006, 16:35   #56

Cash Beast Champion!

[quote=WillowTheWhisp] ta I've run out of karma to spread cos I've just given my daily quota but consider yourself smled at.tommorow will do

Old 29-09-2006, 17:52   #57
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Absolutely spot on LYY (Do you mind if I call you LYY?)

I'm still hoping for an apology from Poppy for misquoting me and then accusing me of being racist.
Yes, Willow and all ACCYwebbers (including Jambutty ) LYY is just fine with me!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 18:38   #58
God Member

Does calling myself a stupid English idiot constitute being racist?

Only asking because after much mind knumbing ccognitation This stupid English idiot thinks it would be under poppy's train of thought.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 18:42   #59
Resident Waffler

Ah but can you actually be racist against yourself?

Old 29-09-2006, 18:48   #60
God Member

Quote:
Ah but can you actually be racist against yourself?
Thats the big question. Then again depending on were you are or which law court you are in you are not racist if you take a pop at the UK country constituents. So I could take a blast at the Northern Irish the Welsh And the Scots and not be rasist. So on that basis if a citizen is of 2nd generation Pakistani desent but born in say Norwich he is English hence how can it be racist?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..