Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By ossy kid
  • 3 Post By Neil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2017, 13:10   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

American common sense?

It seems the guy who killed 5 people at a Florida airport had an history of "Mental Health Problems" can someone explain to me how a person with problems like this, comes to have a legitimate licence to carry a firearm? it seems to me like the American Authorities are completely devoid of any common sense, its little wonder people get murdered with clowns like those running their system.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 07-01-2017, 14:24   #2
Full Member+

Re: American common sense?

My sentiments entirely Cashman.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 15:58   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It probably comes under that amendment with a number I can't remember about a right to bare arms. I think the rules vary from state to state which I find equally odd about America. I suppose they are like we are becoming in the UK, Untied ish when it suits.
Old 07-01-2017, 16:07   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

It does Neil but surely common sense should dictate no-one with "Mental Health" issues should be allowed firearms.
Old 07-01-2017, 16:25   #5
Senior Member+

Licence you say Cashy, they're on the back of Cornflake boxes.
cashman likes this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 17:53   #6
Senior Member+

There probably isn't a requirement for the Medical people to notify the Police/FBI, who I think issue permits, of anyone developing mental health problems. Used to see people walking around Tucson with guns on their hips and large knives in their belts - nobody seemed to take any notice.
Old 07-01-2017, 17:57   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Which all comes back to my comment on common sense of the rulers.
Old 07-01-2017, 18:29   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
It does Neil but surely common sense should dictate no-one with "Mental Health" issues should be allowed firearms.
It does to us yes because we are smart

Many Americans get very upset if the authorities try to change their rights to have guns. They like to run around in the woods having shootouts with the FBI.

I don't think our gun laws should have been changed because gun crime has increased since not reduced so that idea failed. What we needed was a better system for vetting and controlling licence holders. Something they also need on the wrong side of the Atlantic.
Old 07-01-2017, 18:34   #9
Beacon of light

Should the words 'common sense' and 'American' be permitted in the same sentence?
Common sense is not a 'common' thing on any continent.
That said, someone could be mentally sound, get a gun licence and then develop mental issues.
In some hands a motor vehicle is just as dangerous as a gun.
I am just glad I do not live in the US.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 21:56   #10
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It does to us yes because we are smart

Many Americans get very upset if the authorities try to change their rights to have guns. They like to run around in the woods having shootouts with the FBI.

I don't think our gun laws should have been changed because gun crime has increased since not reduced so that idea failed. What we needed was a better system for vetting and controlling licence holders. Something they also need on the wrong side of the Atlantic.
Neil, I think you will find any change in our gun licensing law's has nothing to do with increased gun crime as the majority of gun crimes are committed by non license holders. License holders are vetted.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:08   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
Neil, I think you will find any change in our gun licensing law's has nothing to do with increased gun crime as the majority of gun crimes are committed by non license holders. License holders are vetted.
Most of our changes in gun laws were the result of knee jerk reactions by politicians trying to pacify the public after a tragic event.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..