Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2016, 12:47   #46
God Member

Re: American Presidential Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm not sure that you are in a minority of men Eric.
I would sincerely hope you aren't.
I wonder how Donald Trump would react if his daughters had been subjected to the kind of treatment that he meted out to other women.
he is a lech, and leopards do not change their spots.
Well, if it gives you comfort thinking this, go ahead. I'll stick with what I said. In fact, in some groups of men .... let't pick one at random: "muslims" ... the minority is so small that it would hardly register on a graph. Oh, and let's not forget about Rednecks.

And Trump's probable reaction if his daughter were groped? Irrelevant.

And let's not ignore that many women think this way too. Particularly among the group that can no longer pull a tight skirt over their ankles, let alone their asses.

If you ever get bored and are having trouble sleeping, try this: Darwin, "The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex."
Less likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2016, 13:18   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Russell, that sounds like heaven to me.
I spent the evening crafting so was not disturbed by the many and varied opinions of this election.
It may take a few days for the furore to die down.
Think it will take more than a few days Margaret, they are marching in city's protesting against democracy, just like the re-moaners here wi Brexit, pathetic people who only want democracy when it suits them.
Less, Eric, DaveinGermany and 1 others like this.
Old 10-11-2016, 13:43   #48
Beacon of light

I think you might be right on that Cashy.

Eric, I don't think I will get that bored. I have far too much in my life right now.
Boredom would not motivate me into reading such a tome...but curiousity might.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 13:50   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Think it will take more than a few days Margaret, they are marching in city's protesting against democracy, just like the re-moaners here wi Brexit, pathetic people who only want democracy when it suits them.
Maybe folks lucky enough to live in democracies will stop taking democracy for granted and put down their smart phones long enough to get their asses to a polling station and vote. I'll drink to that
cashman and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 10-11-2016, 14:20   #50
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Maybe folks lucky enough to live in democracies will stop taking democracy for granted and put down their smart phones long enough to get their asses to a polling station and vote. I'll drink to that
I take my smartphone with me these days when I go to vote, it gives me a warm feeling that something in the polling booth isn't as ill educated as the guy putting the X on the paper.

Strange isn't it?
The people calling us ill educated are the very ones that are supposedly in charge of ensuring education is up to standard.
Maybe it's their fault and not ours?

I do believe, the buck should well and truly stop with them, not the victims of their poor education system.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 18:11   #51
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I think in actual fact, our wonderful M.P. should perhaps turn his attentions towards education, if he had actually been given one that was worthwhile, maybe he would realise he has been taken for a similar ride as the rest of us?

Education, Education, Education, the more we spend on that the better we and those we vote for will become.

Too late for my generation, that doesn't mean any future generation should be condemned just because those foolishly voted into power won't spend money educating us to their imagined standard.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 18:30   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Education seems to be the people demonstrating against democracy.
Less likes this.
Old 10-11-2016, 23:08   #53
Senior Member+

Hey Cash, the Tech wasn't that bad. I think the fun will start when Trump has to have a meaningful debate about things that really matter. No swearing, no insults, just common sense.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:46   #54
Beacon of light

Common sense is not a flower that grows well in every garden.
It is a plant that needs less fertiliser and more nurture.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:24   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Notice today riots in usa oer Trumps election, setting fire to shops etc thats real democracy, Obama should clamp down big time on these people, but no doubt he wont.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:30   #56
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Seems the UK isn't alone when it comes to deniers, snowflakes & remainiac equivalents, the "Donald" could be scuppered by self serving interest according to this article:

Donald Trump could lose presidency to Hillary Clinton because of White House loophole | World | News | Daily Express
Old 11-11-2016, 10:33   #57
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Notice today riots in usa oer Trumps election, setting fire to shops etc thats real democracy, Obama should clamp down big time on these people, but no doubt he wont.
Ooh look at that, an "Americal" division of the lefty rent a mob! How .... unsurprising!
Old 11-11-2016, 15:06   #58
God Member

Quote:

Not much Obama can do on this one. It's really up to the Governors of the States where the unrest is taking place. They can call out the National Guard and ask the Feds for financial aid. Anyway he's too busy packing his stuff and figuring out if any of his cronies need a Presidential Pardon before he leaves office. And the US is no stranger to civil unrest ... or, come to think of it, all out civil war.
Old 11-11-2016, 15:29   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Seems the UK isn't alone when it comes to deniers, snowflakes & remainiac equivalents, the "Donald" could be scuppered by self serving interest according to this article:

Donald Trump could lose presidency to Hillary Clinton because of White House loophole | World | News | Daily Express
This one isn't really all that simple. The Express got a couple of things wrong. Not surprising really, given that I don't think anyone understands the intricacies of US politics. Well, maybe God does. That's probably why US politicians rely on him so much. First, the Electoral College is not a loophole. Loopholes are usually, perhaps always, tiny flaws or "openings" in legislation that someone with expensive enough lawyers can exploit. Loopholes can also be closed. This one can't be closed. And it was not an accident that it is there. The founding fathers put it there on purpose and, in the American system, it has the same degree of sanctity as the Constitution. It is part of a system of checks and balances by which the Founding Fathers attempted, and failed, albeit gloriously, to create a perfect democracy.

Second, the article refers to the College going against the popular vote. If in the very unlikely circumstance that they do something that has never been done before, they will be going with the popular vote which Clinton won, as did Al Gore.

Whatever. It ain't gonna happen.
Old 11-11-2016, 16:16   #60
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1181183]Seems the UK isn't alone when it comes to deniers, snowflakes & remainiac equivalents, the "Donald" could be scuppered by self serving interest according to this article:QUOTE]

This reminds me of the post referendum furore. Who knows how things will turn out with Trump as President, who knows how it would turn out if Clinton had won.
Yes, she has diplomatic/political experience (also, allegedly, a complete disregard for Security, financial wrongdoing, and sacrificing American lives through inaction), but remember how others who had diplomatic/political experience screwed up their country - Heath, Blair, Brown amongst others.
Trump doesn't have any diplomatic/political experience, but he is a very successful business man, some failures but more successes. Already there are encouraging signs coming from Putin and others, and unlike Obama and Clinton, the UK will not be at the back of the queue for trade deals, in fact he will possibly use a quick trade deal with UK to shake up a number of other countries - or Unions of countries.

As with Brexit, we can only wait and see, with hope and prayers if you are that way inclined.
Eric likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..