Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2016, 17:46   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: American Presidential Election

Well we would be back of the queue fer a trade deal if Clinton had won,that much even i know. thats now unlikely to be the case. The simple fact Putin makes encouraging comments also would not have occured n to me that can only be ok.
Morecambe Ex Pat likes this.
Old 11-11-2016, 17:53   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Who knows how things will turn out with Trump as President
True indeed. Speculation on what he will do is of the idle kind, fit only for bar room arguments, talk shows, and selling newspapers. Trump will no doubt hold the unofficial title of "Leader of the Free World", wherever that is; but, especially in his own country his powers are very limited. He will find himself having to kiss a whole lot of Congressional ass in order to get things done. Puker up Donald if you want the support of the Representative from Asshole, Oklahoma or Bum****, Idaho. Theresa May has way more power in the UK than Trump will have in the US. All he has is a bigger house in a worse neighbourhood.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 00:53   #63

A little humor to brighten your day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HRC Jail.jpg (43.7 KB, 29 views)
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:02   #64

Wonder what Donald T will think when he hears that the staff at Madame Tussauds are using the hair from a Yak’s belly to make the hairpiece for the wax sculpture of him. Apparently this matches up well.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:48   #65
Senior Member+

I still can’t get my head around why people refuse to accept the election & referendum results, do they really believe that the minority should rule over the majority,
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:04   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
I still can’t get my head around why people refuse to accept the election & referendum results, do they really believe that the minority should rule over the majority,
To me Kids today in the main cannot accept things if it dont suit. in the usa @ here to me democracy's meaning should be taught in schools, its just selfish spoilt gets that cannot accept the will of the people.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:29   #67
Beacon of light

It seems that politicians over in the US and over here are wakening up to the fact that the electorate cannot be ignored. They might be beginning to realise that the ordinary man in the street wants to be given credit for being able to say how they want their country to be governed.
But politicians can say anything they think will win them votes and then do just as they please once they get into office.

Our own little town has first hand experience of this.
hilleluk likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:46   #68
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
To Quote another 'Merican icon, "Stupid is as stupid does!"
cashman likes this.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:32   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
then do just as they please once they get into office.

Now that you mention it ....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nge-of-pledges

Maybe, as I think you mentioned, leopards don't change their spots; but sometimes they turn into elephants ... maybe even donkeys.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 09:27   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Seems Obama has stuck his oar in again in Berlin, Hes told the Germans to vote fer Merkel. With any luck it will have the same effect it did in the U.K. oer Brexit? DinG can perhaps comment on this?
Old 18-11-2016, 10:57   #71
Beacon of light

We now have a peer who thinks that we need immigration to boost the thinking power of the British people. He reckons that the British are as he puts it 'so bloody stupid'.

I concede that some immigration is necessary, but we should be making sure that those who are coming to live here can live by western values and have skills that we need.

We should not have the kind of immigration levels which were fostered during the Bliar administration (and no, that is not a spelling error. It is how I think of this self seeking, egotistical man).
cashman likes this.
Old 18-11-2016, 10:59   #72
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Seems Obama has stuck his oar in again in Berlin, Hes told the Germans to vote fer Merkel. With any luck it will have the same effect it did in the U.K. oer Brexit? DinG can perhaps comment on this?
Cashy, I am sure the voters over in Germany know their own minds.

They do not need help in making decisions from someone from over the pond....even if that someone is Barack Obama.
cashman likes this.
Old 18-11-2016, 11:28   #73
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Aye he's been kissin' arse, saying how right Merkels policies are & what wonderful friends the krauts have been. As to his endorsement of Merkel, probably as useful as it was for cam-moron & Brexit (hopefully the kiss of death). There's a groundswell of discontent bubbling under the surface in Germany, even her own party & aligned partner (CSU in Bayern) are muttering about her replacement due to the damage shes brought down upon the CDU over the past couple of years.

AfD (populist right) are making inroads & gaining more support, but I think they'll remain outsiders in next years elections, that said though, the support they garner could well turn them into "King makers", as Germany uses a system of Proportional Representation & direct voting so coalitions are usually the way of gaining the majority in the "Bundestag"

Then again despite all that, the Germans seem to show an unbelieveable propensity for stupidity & will more often than not re-elect the people they've spent the last term bitching about!

In the words of one Mr. Forrest Gump, "Stupid is, as stupid does!"
Old 18-11-2016, 14:06   #74

Just what the world needs.
Someone with no clue (Obama).
Explaining Trump to the Germans.
Oh my!
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 15:19   #75
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post

Then again despite all that, the Germans seem to show an unbelieveable propensity for stupidity
1914 & 1939 spring to mind.
DaveinGermany likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..