Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2010, 10:37   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: An Open Invitation to Cllr Britcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
BS, the strange thing is, that's only supposed to baffle brains, don't ask me how it's attracting this big...
Love it
Old 16-09-2010, 10:39   #62
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Some kind of "wind up stuff" one would presume Jay !
Seems you've sharpened upon your recent visit Dave
Old 16-09-2010, 15:59   #63
Common Sense Member

If you're reading this Peter, the invitation's still open.

Marlene, feel free to chip in as well and show me up for the disgrace I am. You barely singed my boots this morning in front of all those market traders.

In my haste this morning I never got to say thank you for the full 30 minutes of debate between July and December on some of the borough's most pressing issues.

I think that demonstrated a level of democracy that few other councils will manage to equal.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 17:05   #64
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Seems you've sharpened upon your recent visit Dave
No not really Jay, Its always been there but written down it doesn't have the same effect as a smart retort. Still I suppose actually being in the area & meeting folk you get a better feel for what's acceptable & what you can get away with without folk taking umbrage.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 21:29   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Not to worry, Margaret. The answers to questions on notice will probably run along these tried and tested lines:

1) Blame was the previous administration

2) 13 years of Labour rule have ruined the borough

3) It's all Graham Jones' fault

Works every time.

I'm sure someone will post updates later in the day and if anyone has anything to say publicly then rumour has it that posting on Accyweb between 12pm-2pm is a good way of getting your comments noticed, especially if you are a new Rishton councillor.
I managed to catch the 7.30am train home and called in to catch the market traders speak out about the changes.

I felt compelled to silence as unfortunate comments crept into the debate. It was reassuring to see Labour councillors rise above it all too.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 21:56   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I managed to catch the 7.30am train home and called in to catch the market traders speak out about the changes.

I felt compelled to silence as unfortunate comments crept into the debate. It was reassuring to see Labour councillors rise above it all too.
Oh they are not against it graham, i have nothing to base that on......ANDREW has spoken.
Old 17-09-2010, 07:00   #67
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

It was great that you could make it and the market traders were left in no doubt yesterday as to which party is championing their cause.

After being told that their MP won't form a good working relationship with the council due to his bad attitude, it must have smacked of political bitchiness to the traders as you talked to them all afterwards whilst The Leader of the Council retreated to his private office before the meeting was even adjourned.

The invitation is still open, Peter.

Old 19-09-2010, 21:37   #68
Common Sense Member

Cllr Britcliffe usually has so much good news to tell us in the papers, the council chamber and at opening ceremonies yet is strangely reticent to speak so positively about his projects online.

I enjoyed his Oswaldtwistle Area Council meeting so much that I think I'm going to have to turn up with my entourage at every one while he is in power. Following the cancellation of the full council it seems that it will be the only way that I will be able to hear his good news for myself.

Old 19-09-2010, 21:44   #69
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I enjoyed his Oswaldtwistle Area Council meeting so much that I think I'm going to have to turn up with my entourage at every one while he is in power. Following the cancellation of the full council it seems that it will be the only way that I will be able to hear his good news for myself.
I will try and stay for a chat next time, don't eat all the biscuits I want some
Old 19-09-2010, 21:51   #70
Common Sense Member

I didn't manage to get any myself!

Mind you, it was very nice of Cllr Britcliffe to come and stand in the pouring rain to wave the Rishton team and Cllr Pritchard off, he didn't look particularly pleased (or dry).

You get much better biccies in Ossy, that's where the Cabinet Action Fund must be going.

It is FULLY accountable, isn't it Peter? No democratic council that is working with their own government to ruthlessly cut back on wasteful spending would allow £100k of Hyndburn money to go unaudited, would they?

Peter?

Old 20-09-2010, 08:48   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Cllr Britcliffe usually has so much good news to tell us in the papers, the council chamber and at opening ceremonies yet is strangely reticent to speak so positively about his projects online.

Nice to see your back after a weekend off Ken
Old 20-09-2010, 12:24   #72
God Member

Quote:

Think a chap called Oswald Mosley and his 'entourage' tried using tactics like this a few years back , don't remember it getting them very far
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 12:35   #73
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
You get much better biccies in Ossy, that's where the Cabinet Action Fund must be going.
I suspect Peter hid the chocolate hobnobs when he saw the Labour party arrive so you did not learn the truth about Ossy Area Council biscuits
Old 20-09-2010, 13:09   #74
Beacon of light

Ken, I think this is an exercise in Canutism ........ so don't hold your breath waiting for a response!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 14:04   #75
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Think a chap called Oswald Mosley and his 'entourage' tried using tactics like this a few years back , don't remember it getting them very far
In all seriousness, it actually bore fruit in a much more positive way than you're thinking.

Beyond some quizzicals looks from the Leader, other Area Councils do things quite differently from your own and it was a good way of approaching things from another angle. A presentation by the police Inspector was very useful and down to earth, plus there were also individual updates from each councillor which has never happened in Rishton and I am keen to implement here.

I don't think anyone is going to topple the house of cards simply by turning up to an Area Council meeting!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..