Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 16:03   #1

Anne Frank Guardian Dies

Miep Gies, the last surviving member of the group who helped protect Anne Frank and her family from the Nazis, has died in the Netherlands aged 100.
I had the privilege to meet this wonderful lady some years ago and I hope the Dutch people will now erect a monument so that the world will remember her courage in the face of so much danger when the nazis overcame Holland during World War Two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miep Gies.jpg (12.7 KB, 2 views)
Grange is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2010, 17:06   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Anne Frank Guardian Dies

That's sad.

She was on the programme Anne Frank Remembered, that I watched on BBC4 only last night.

One of the most moving scenes was when the film maker revealed some recently uncovered letters, written by Otto Frank, Anne's father, praising Miep Gies and her husband Jan, who put themselves in grave peril, in order to help the Franks.

Seeing the personal testimonies first hand, of people who survived the death camps, was utterly heartbreaking, and made you angry that there are still Holocaust deniers peddling their filth.

People like Miep Gies helped restore one's faith in humanity, that there are happily more good, selfless people in the world, than there are bad.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 17:22   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Really sad, many dutch people risked their lives to help troops also, which is often forgotten, me dad was one who was aided through em.
Old 13-01-2010, 01:01   #4
God Member

Such a brave lady.. I've always thought that the bravest are they who don't really have to expose themselves to danger but still do.. these people should be held in esteem and I have the greatest respect for them.. we all owe them a debt.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 01:33   #5
God Member

seem to remember reading that parts of the 'book' are written in "ball point" pen
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 01:51   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
seem to remember reading that parts of the 'book' are written in "ball point" pen
I suppose for those in denial it should have been written in blood.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 01:52   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The first person to doubt the diary's authenticity was Harald Nielsen in 1957, writing in a Swedish Nazi magazine, even claiming that Anne Franks had never existed at all.

So those morons who deny the living testimony of those lucky enough to survive the holocaust are nothing new, and perhaps they should watch the film Remembering Anne Franks, for there are her friends interviewed in the film, who knew her before, and whilst being in the camp she died in.

Having watched the film only last night, in which Miep Gies talked about keeping the diary safe, after the Franks were taken east to the concentration camps, and only giving it to Otto Franks when it was discovered that his wife and daughters were dead...I know which side of the debate most people with half a brain would choose, as to the existence of Anne Franks, and the authenticity of her diary.

Old 13-01-2010, 02:00   #8
Give, give, give member

'Deniers have repeatedly attacked the authenticity of the famous Diary of Anne Frank, which tells of the young Jewish author's experiences as she and her family hid from Nazi persecution in Holland. It seems they believe that by creating doubts about this popular book, which is often a young person's first encounter with the literature of the Holocaust, they can generate broader doubts about the Holocaust itself. Their attacks on the diary became so widespread, that eventually the Netherlands State Institute for War Documentation, the archives to which Anne's father left the work, subjected the glue, paper and ink of the diary to extensive forensic tests. They found them all to be from the 1940s.'

'The investigators compared Anne's handwriting in the diary to other samples of her writing, including letters she wrote before going into hiding, and traditional student autograph books she signed before the war. The tests found the handwriting to be that of the same person. In fact, every test to which the diary was subjected proved that this was a genuine World War Two era work by a teenager.'
BBC - History - World Wars: Denying the Holocaust

Old 13-01-2010, 10:42   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
It was written in the blood of millions.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 10:51   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
those who deny these atrocites are just as misguided as some germans who thought "Hitler" was a good chap! either that or just plain stupid.
Old 13-01-2010, 10:56   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
The RAF used ball point pens towards the end of WW2
Old 13-01-2010, 10:57   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
those who deny these atrocites are just as misguided as some germans who thought "Hitler" was a good chap! either that or just plain stupid.
Unfortunately we still have some people today who think Hitler was a good chap and only slighty extreme.
Old 13-01-2010, 13:55   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Unfortunately we still have some people today who think Hitler was a good chap and only slighty extreme.

aww his heart was in the right place...

burned to ash in a bunker with teh rest of him

although for a man with 3 testicles he was extreemly grumpy

hitler has only got one ball

the others at the albert hall

his mother has the other on teh kitchen wall ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 13-01-2010 at 13:58.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 15:54   #14
God Member

I played Miep Gies in a production once. It was an emotional play to be in.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 17:04   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I played Miep Gies in a production once. It was an emotional play to be in.
in fairness i don't think ya look that old.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..