Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 23:20   #16
God Member

Re: another accident.....

LOL Makes perfect sense lily , I agree drivers are more careful at disrupted junctions that if no control at all but thats where the roundabout comes in. It does slow traffic down but sadly whatever they put there it wont stop some speeding boy racer trying to beat the rest of the traffic and driving into the path of another car , One only hopes it will slow them down .
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2008, 01:59   #17
Resting in Peace

The thing about Traffic Lights is if the driver is not going to stop they wont and at least with a roundabout (providing it is large enough) is that most drivers will slow to a safe speed to be able to access and egress the roundabout with safety AND if there is traffic coming from YOUR right it will have right-of-way.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:18   #18
God Member

And do you think that idiots that don't give a damn about the speed limits will give way to traffic coming from their right?? Sorry but I doubt it very much!!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:23   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the one outside yer house bernie is a mini-roundabout which are about as much use as a "fart in a spacesuit" hopefully at £800.000 the one up at the Brittania junction will be a proper one? if so i think thats preferable to lights.
The biggest problem I have found at mini roundabouts is drivers who have right of way giving way to drivers who have to give way.
Causes utter confusion.Give way to the right like a proper round about.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:20   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I have seen the plans for this roundabout at an Area Council meeting, about 2 years ago. It is not a mini roundabout, it is a big roundabout. As you approach the junction from the Ossy side the roundabout will be to the left of the current road partly in the field. Yes I know what you are all thinking, why have they just spent our money resurfacing the footpaths next to the junction that will be dug up for the new roundabout? Maybe Dorothy could answer that, I am sure she reads this site ( don't they all?

They can not put lights on the junction as it would not comply with some road building regulations. It was also stated that some people would ignore the lights at night with them being out of the way.

Incidently it was stated that the roundabout may stop accidents caused by the crossroads but that accidents could occur on the roundabout just like at any roundabout and that it was not a perfect solution to the problem. I don't suppose you can have a perfect round junction unless you remove all the vehicles

LCC have moved very slowly with this scheme. Like I said the plans were displayed about 2 years ago and the money was made available at that time.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:07   #21
God Member

Lights with cameras would do it for me

less disruption as they could pretty much install them with no major roadworks.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:09   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Sorry Bernie dissagree. I personaly think roundabouts work much better than traffic lights. and just as a for instance when traffic lights are out there always seems to be less chance of an accident because the traffic is much slower.
Can't agree more cherokee, a prime example is the Church Traffic lights, the traffic flow is much better when the lights are not working
Old 07-08-2008, 09:17   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Lights with cameras would do it for me

less disruption as they could pretty much install them with no major roadworks.
It was something to do with how close the lights would be on the major road as you approach up the hill from Knuzden.

I personally am not sure since the motorway was extended which I would class as the major road anymore.

With the loss of life at that junction I would have thought it would qualify for a gatso or two installing to make sure cars are not speeding.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:42   #24
God Member

I would put those super high extention ones on so you can see them from a fair old way away.

I'd agree with teh point that this is a prime gatso area and I would have no issues with them installed there

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..