Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2007, 17:43   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

another accident.....

.......at britannia in haslingden

Two Trapped In Car After Crash (from Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 18-07-2007, 17:51   #2
God Member

Re: another accident.....

Another one.The family of a young man that died in a crash at that junction have been trying for some time to get a roundabout put there to reduce the number of accidents that happen in that spot.Wonder how they're getting on with that and how much longer it's going to take
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 18:09   #3
God Member

Beurocracy works slowly - I believe a roundabout is scheduled.
I used to live in Belthorn and crossed that junction twice a day - so know how bad it is.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 18:36   #4
Resident Waffler

It is a horrendous junction and one of the main problems is that it is the highest point of all the roads that meet there so you just can't see anything approaching from another direction. How many more deaths before something is finally done?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 15:37   #5
Junior Member+

I understand the issue but I use the crossing twice a day (to and from work) and have done for 9 years and I've not seen an accident.
Does anyone know how many accidents happen there and how much more likely you are to have an accident there than other blackspots
Gobbiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 15:44   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner View Post
I understand the issue but I use the crossing twice a day (to and from work) and have done for 9 years and I've not seen an accident.
Does anyone know how many accidents happen there and how much more likely you are to have an accident there than other blackspots
have used the junction for at least 25 yrs gobbiner, though very infrequently n have seen 3 accidents in that time, have read of many more at that junction,so i suppose its the luck of the draw.dont doubt for 1 min, how horrendous the junction is, have had a near do myself yrs ago coming from the match.
Old 19-07-2007, 17:12   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner View Post
Very Bad juncton is that.

AS for likelyhood of having a accident there as opposed to other locations is hard to say, however When a RTA involves a death there is a set fund IIRC that is spent to improve so I would expect a change in the future.
Old 06-08-2008, 22:32   #8
Resting in Peace

About blooming time too !!

Oswaldtwistle roundabout gets green light (From Lancashire Telegraph)
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 22:36   #9
God Member

Really think traffic lights are the way to go there but if a roundabout helps then so be it. Does anybody else think roundabouts cause more confusion??
Old 06-08-2008, 22:50   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Really think traffic lights are the way to go there but if a roundabout helps then so be it. Does anybody else think roundabouts cause more confusion??
This is true Bernie .. roundabouts are not as safe as lights due to human judgement; must be a problem with lights for the transport planners, as road traffic management considers safety above all other issues. Must be a reason of some sort.
Old 06-08-2008, 22:59   #11
God Member

Sorry Bernie dissagree. I personaly think roundabouts work much better than traffic lights. and just as a for instance when traffic lights are out there always seems to be less chance of an accident because the traffic is much slower.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 23:04   #12
God Member

Only going by the roundabout outside my house and the accidents that happen there. Just seems to me that on a road tha is notorious for speeding traffic lights would be the better option. I am not a driver so some folk mght think my opinions don't qualify for consideration but just the way I see things. (that was not aimed at you Cherokee) Personally think a roundabout is the cheaper option and traffic lights would be better given the blind bend in the road!!
Old 06-08-2008, 23:08   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Only going by the roundabout outside my house and the accidents that happen there. Just seems to me that on a road tha is notorious for speeding traffic lights would be the better option. I am not a driver so some folk mght think my opinions don't qualify for consideration but just the way I see things. (that was not aimed at you Cherokee) Personally think a roundabout is the cheaper option and traffic lights would be better given the blind bend in the road!!

Didnt for one min think it was bernie. I do understand your reasoning though. I suppose it could also depend on the location tbh.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 23:14   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the one outside yer house bernie is a mini-roundabout which are about as much use as a "fart in a spacesuit" hopefully at £800.000 the one up at the Brittania junction will be a proper one? if so i think thats preferable to lights.
Old 06-08-2008, 23:15   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Sorry Bernie dissagree. I personaly think roundabouts work much better than traffic lights. and just as a for instance when traffic lights are out there always seems to be less chance of an accident because the traffic is much slower.
I think when lights are out Cherokee, people are slightly more polite to the minor road as they know should be some lights there and are a little more hesitant and tolerant, whereby, if never been any lights the major road user would completely ignore the minor road user and give no leeway .. hope this makes sense ...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..