Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2007, 20:37   #16
God Member

Re: Another one bites the dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post

With respects to Gayle request for further information, I feel, if an individual feels strongly enough to revoke the party whip he or she must explain their actions to the party. It may be a perfectly understandable reason, however without this the individual members will always question their actions.
He probably has explained his reasons to the party, just not to the general public.
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2007, 13:20   #17
Senior Member+

Malcolms reasons were nothing to do with the Party and nothing to do with myself. The remaining 13 Councillors were unanimous in the end in their support for the Group as a whole, freedom and fairness were being attacked and a line had to be drawn. We wish Malcolm all the best as a councillor in Milnshaw.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 17:42   #18
Resting in Peace

Dear Accyweb,

Excuse my ignorance, but I am still puzzled as to the difference in 'party politics' which affect any decisions as to dustbins, name changes, flower towers, handles on public toilets, etc. Always been an enigma to me.

Can someone please explain what would be the difference for instance in a Labour/Consertive/Independent/Liberal/Screaming Accrington Stanley Fans Party in decisions of this nature ?

Confused. ..No, very confused..
Clayton-le-Moors.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 19:21   #19
God Member

So there's a bit more about his resignation in today's paper but it more or less says the same thing.

Still no real word on the subject on here though.

Just a question that perhaps someone more closely connected with politics can answer on a slightly unrelated subject - has an independent Councillor ever been made Mayor?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 20:24   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Malcolms reasons were nothing to do with the Party and nothing to do with myself.
The Observer reported that his reasons were everything to do with you and the party.
Old 03-06-2008, 16:46   #21
Give, give, give member

Coun Mason accused Coun Britcliffe of 'double standards', saying: "When Labour councillors have left to stand independently, he says it's marvellous, but when it's one of their own, it's 'disgusting'.

http://www.blackburncitizen.co.uk/di...quit_group.php

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 16:52   #22
Resting in Peace

Thumbs down Re: Another one bites the dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Coun Mason accused Coun Britcliffe of 'double standards', saying: "When Labour councillors have left to stand independently, he says it's marvellous, but when it's one of their own, it's 'disgusting'.

http://www.blackburncitizen.co.uk/di...quit_group.php
Can't see your problem Rindi, It is and it is, simple
Old 03-06-2008, 16:56   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Can't see your problem Rindi, It is and it is, simple
Did I say I had a problem?

Just thought this local interest story might be of some err....interest.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 21:02   #24
God Member

I certainly don't agree with people getting elected to serve on the council as a member of a political party and then, once they're in, deciding to leave the party and become independent.

I think that if they leave the party they should have to step down and stand again as an independent.

What do you think?
Old 03-06-2008, 21:03   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I certainly don't agree with people getting elected to serve on the council as a member of a political party and then, once they're in, deciding to leave the party and become independent.

I think that if they leave the party they should have to step down and stand again as an independent.

What do you think?
I agree, most of their votes will have been as a member of the Party. Also often the party will have helped them with time and experience to get that person their seat
Old 03-06-2008, 21:09   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I agree, most of their votes will have been as a member of the Party. Also often the party will have helped them with time and experience to get that person their seat

Not just time and experience - money! When I stood for Council (sorry to keep going back to this but it's my only point of reference), the local Labour party funded my campaign. I don't think I would have had the gall to turn round and reject the party that got me in.

I agree that people should stand down if they've been elected on a party ticket then choose to go independent.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 22:50   #27
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Another one bites the dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

What do you think?
That would be the honourable thing to do.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:44   #28
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
That would be the honourable thing to do.
Honourable yes, but would it be politically correct?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:57   #29
Resting in Peace

I think the worst case I've heard with regards to this type of action was where the Lib/dems retained control of Liverpool this May, by one vote, due to a defection
Old 04-06-2008, 12:07   #30
Junior Member+

Why would you admit to being as member of a party that is ripping the back out of every member of the public, bet u daren't post your address !
gixerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..