Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2009, 01:16   #811
God Member

Re: Anyone made a secret Freedom Of Info request about me ? Andrew?

no "poor" area could elect a Tory council.. not enough "working" class people would be interested in voting....and the hard core Tory voters that live in a little world of there own illusions find it hard to even encourage the hard Tory core to vote.. as said before the political sway changes over a period of years... but a hard core Tory is excatly that.. hard core.. no matter what they destroy they remain hard core..they must be destroyed.. simple as that.. by fair means or foul
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2009, 01:18   #812
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
"Too much knowledge is dangerous"? Are you sure you got this one the right way round. Maybe you should read Pope ... Alexander that is. And I'm afraid I don't quite see the equation in your logic.
Just a guess, but from what I've read, I doubt logic, along with knowledge, is a highly prized attribute.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 01:22   #813
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
no "poor" area could elect a Tory council.. not enough "working" class people would be interested in voting....and the hard core Tory voters that live in a little world of there own illusions find it hard to even encourage the hard Tory core to vote.. as said before the political sway changes over a period of years... but a hard core Tory is excatly that.. hard core.. no matter what they destroy they remain hard core..they must be destroyed.. simple as that.. by fair means or foul
We're not having this discussion again.

Been there done that, a couple of nights ago....perhaps you don't recall?

As much as you might dislike it, safe working class seat, after traditional working class seat, deserted Labour, sweeping Thatcher into power.

Old 20-02-2009, 01:25   #814
God Member

I'ts of course not for me to comment on wether a couincil should be Tory/labour nay liberal... local people tend to vote for the local issues whatever party...but to imagine a Tory party at Nation level taking control of this nation is at the best frightening.. at the worst when you include Andrew.. a death penalty
Old 20-02-2009, 01:30   #815
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'ts of course not for me to comment on wether a couincil should be Tory/labour nay liberal... local people tend to vote for the local issues whatever party...but to imagine a Tory party at Nation level taking control of this nation is at the best frightening.. at the worst when you include Andrew.. a death penalty
Still, you've got other worries to ponder, after voting bumbling Boris as your Mayor of London.

Old 20-02-2009, 02:23   #816
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well andrew you have stated it........ claytonender is questioning it.... my challenge is "Prove It" show everyone if you are correct. please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Well cashman I will certainly look into the black hole when home. Fact is it happened, and nobody can doubt that, what they have managed to achieve from what they started with is fantastic. This must be one of the reasons the independent audit commission labelled them an excellent council.
pleased yer gonna look into this given time, the only Fact i can see here is, i had assumed you were talking Hearsay in the first instance,the Fact is- my assumption was correct.
Old 20-02-2009, 03:26   #817
God Member

Whoever it is and who cares the relationship.. it's boils down to those that oppose the Tories and those who do not..I hate you Tories.. I don't care how nice you are in real life ..I hate you,,, so Andrew and his mum..and whoever else has got the balls as a Tory to come here.. i hate your guts.. nothing personal!
Old 20-02-2009, 07:35   #818

Quote:
Hydburn is a "poor" borough... come on.. I don't see that when I visit... not wealhy but not poor..
Mancie there are parts of Hyndburn, which are some of the most deprived in the country. Next time you are Hyndburn take a look round Church ward and you will see why it is offically classed as 'poor'.
There are some wonderful people live in Church who are working very hard to improve the area but are having to do it with one hand tied behind there back. Myself and the other Church councillor, have over the last week been trying to get some problems sorted out in the Church Kirk area, but from the responses I have been getting fromt his 'Excellent Council' I might as well try plaiting swadust, as I would probably be more successful.

By the way Mancie I agree with your posts about a national Tory government especially for some areas of the country it doesn't bear thinking about.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 07:51   #819
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Poor meaning it was shaming and pitful to be labelled in the national press as having the most expensive Council Tax in the country.
Since you keep quoting the press, can we just have a simple answer from you, do you believe our council tax is the most important in the country, yes or no?

I know giving your own belief will be hard, rather than referencing a newspaper article out of context, but since you're so passionate about it I'm sure you'll manage. Then again, Claytonender continuously ignores the question. Perhaps they've stopped trying to purposely mislead people, now its just error of omission.
Old 20-02-2009, 08:01   #820
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
pleased yer gonna look into this given time, the only Fact i can see here is, i had assumed you were talking Hearsay in the first instance,the Fact is- my assumption was correct.
Perhaps you should re-read the post then, because I didn't actually blame anyone, blinkers can help read things that are not there. I simply stated that the council had a black hole and they've done a fantastic job to turn that around into an excellent council in 2008.
Old 20-02-2009, 08:03   #821
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Since you keep quoting the press, can we just have a simple answer from you, do you believe our council tax is the most important in the country, yes or no?
In answer to your question the answer is of course no.

I think the majority of people in the county would consider the most 'important' Council Tax in the country to be the one they are having to find the money to actually pay, and that applies nationwide.

Simple enough for you?

Like I say, when you actually start earning, and paying out a fair old whack of it in Council Tax, you might be in a better position to judge for yourself if what you pay, and what you get back in the way of services, is deemed to be good value.

I bet there's many people in Hyndburn, who have a lot less income then Cllr. Britcliffe, who also think what they pay out as a percentage of their income doesn't represent good value for money, especially when it comes to funding the ever increasing expenses of our council leader.

Old 20-02-2009, 08:08   #822
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Can I just enlighten you about something that is the Rishton's councillors are attempting to get started in Rishton (in fact the first meeting took place last night). They are attempting to set up Neighbourhood Management in Rishton, with the help of the Area Council staff, but without any funding from HBC being available.
I have heard this term mentioned before. Please can you explain what it is all about and how it is different than the current Area Council. I thought that Rishton's Area Council was one of the more successful ones.

What will they be doing that the Area Council is not or could not be doing?
Old 20-02-2009, 08:11   #823
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
In answer to your question the answer is of course no.
Thank-you for admitting Labour are wrong on this one. I wish they had the same honesty as you.

Shame that you believe I cannot comment, when I'm comparing how nationally council tax has gone up over 100% in 10 years where as ours just 45%, simply because I get a discount due to my status. I believe that students, disabled and the arguments of one person living alone are just as valid, despite them all getting discounts.
Old 20-02-2009, 08:18   #824
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Well Mr Positive himself has started this thread. While you ask though, low council tax, half the increases of the rest of the country. This gives every household more money in their pockets to spend. I think this is really important to people.
I would not mind paying more if we actually got more for our money.

Just recently in this area I have started to notice the condition of our roads. I drive over Guide to the motorway to work and I can't believe how bad that road is. The surface has half gone. We also have a growing number of bad pot holes appearing as well. I am fed up with the big wagons destroying our back streets because someone bought massive ones to save money.

I could go on and on but today I am in a happy mood
Old 20-02-2009, 08:19   #825
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Thank-you for admitting Labour are wrong on this one. I wish they had the same honesty as you.

Shame that you believe I cannot comment, when I'm comparing how nationally council tax has gone up over 100% in 10 years where as ours just 45%, simply because I get a discount due to my status. I believe that students, disabled and the arguments of one person living alone are just as valid, despite them all getting discounts.
Er...I didn't say anyone was 'wrong'.

I answered your question as to whether I thought Hyndburn's was the most important Council Tax in the country, which I don't.

Every borough's Council Tax is as important as the next, when it comes to finding the money to pay the bill, as one day, wherever that might be, you'll hopefully understand when you too are scraping the money together to pay it.

Happily for you ivory towers are zero rated at the moment, when it comes to Council Tax.

Tags
politics

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..