Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2009, 09:17   #856
God Member

Re: Anyone made a secret Freedom Of Info request about me ? Andrew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'd link your blog as proof, but I don't think it is suitable reading for impressionable youngsters.
I don't think my blog states that I am a member of a political party.
Old 20-02-2009, 09:18   #857
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Unfortunately for Church you also have people at the opposite end as well. You have people that won't do anything to help the area.

Do you think that we should be helping people who don't want to help themselves?

What do you think needs to be done in the area?
I think you may have to wait for the answer to that one Neil.

Garinda is still on his 'Soapbox'

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 09:26   #858
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I think you may have to wait for the answer to that one Neil.

Garinda is still on his 'Soapbox'
...and since the question wasn't directed at me, but at a Church councillor, Claytonender, there I shall remain.

At least my soapbox isn't costing the good people of Hyndburn a penny for me to stand on.

Last edited by garinda; 20-02-2009 at 09:29.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 09:27   #859

Quote:
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on somethings.

I'm pleased you've joined the forum, and although I don't always agree with what you've posted, I've found your point of view interesting to read.

I really appreciate that comments Cheers.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 09:32   #860
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
I really appreciate that comments Cheers.
If the Accy Web awards do go ahead this year, I certainly think you're up for nomination if they have a Most Promising Newcomer catagory.

Old 20-02-2009, 09:39   #861

Hi Gary i admit now im not very computer literate reason for giving a response here, I really appreciate your comments and cant thank you enough i think i have read you wrong which is very un-like me i clearly understand you now and you have my utter most respect now sent sincerely Kind Regards Janet.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 09:45   #862
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
Hi Gary i admit now im not very computer literate reason for giving a response here, I really appreciate your comments and cant thank you enough i think i have read you wrong which is very un-like me i clearly understand you now and you have my utter most respect now sent sincerely Kind Regards Janet.
Thank you, and the same goes visa versa.

I think that's the beauty of Accy Web, you can agree to disagree about somethings, but still respect someone else's point of view.

The fact that Andrew and myself won't ever agree on certain things, doesn't stop me from liking him as a person, and counting him as a valued friend.

Old 20-02-2009, 10:34   #863
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Again, as stated earlier, my gob would be firmly closed as far as criticism was concerned, if I thought the leader of our council was doing a good job.

The simple fact is I don't think he's doing a good job, and people are having to pay more to fund his ever growing expenses for the privilige.
...and if you notice nowhere on this forum have I ever criticised Cllr. Britcliffe's abilities as a ward councillor.

I've only offered my praise for the work he does for St. Andrews ward.

Old 20-02-2009, 10:47   #864
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The bigger issue in my opinion is not the Councillors but the Officers that are the problem with Hyndburn and probably many Councils.
I might be wrong, but wouldn't Council Officers, be classed as Civil Servants, and thus be paid on a national pay scale, and therefore aren't paid for directly by the raising of local taxes?

As to the worth of some top Civil Servants, in relation to the amount they are paid, that really is a different issue, and perhaps one deserving it's own thread.

Old 20-02-2009, 12:20   #865
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Perhaps you should re-read the post then, because I didn't actually blame anyone, blinkers can help read things that are not there. I simply stated that the council had a black hole and they've done a fantastic job to turn that around into an excellent council in 2008.
perhaps you should re-read? i never said you blamed anyone i said i look forward to yer proving it. think yer getting a complex.
Old 20-02-2009, 12:43   #866
God Member

Quote:
I might be wrong, but wouldn't Council Officers, be classed as Civil Servants, and thus be paid on a national pay scale, and therefore aren't paid for directly by the raising of local taxes?

As to the worth of some top Civil Servants, in relation to the amount they are paid, that really is a different issue, and perhaps one deserving it's own thread.
The Civil Service does not cover Town Hall/local gov employees - so I can only presume their pay comes out of council Tax

Last edited by MargaretR; 20-02-2009 at 12:46.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 13:04   #867
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
perhaps you should re-read? i never said you blamed anyone i said i look forward to yer proving it. think yer getting a complex.
Well cashy its fact that we had an almost 2 million pound black hole in our finances. I don't think anyone will disagree with that.
Old 20-02-2009, 13:10   #868
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Spouting is easy, doing, that's different.
Try taking your own advice Mr Jones. Squabbling on here isn't doing you any favours whatsoever.
I'm all for councillors coming on here if they have something constructive to say, like how they are improving local issues (not going on about what the other party isn't doing), or replying to a question from a Hyndburn resident. Your posts in this thread however have been nothing but irritating garble from an uber-defensive stance in a political party war that only exists in your head.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 13:33   #869
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The Civil Service does not cover Town Hall/local gov employees - so I can only presume their pay comes out of council Tax
You are right, and some of the salaries seem shocking.

Council which pays chief executive Andrea Hill more than Prime Minister Gordon Brown now splashes out on press officer - Telegraph

So who decides the pay scale in each borough?

Old 20-02-2009, 15:11   #870
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Try taking your own advice Mr Jones. Squabbling on here isn't doing you any favours whatsoever.
I'm all for councillors coming on here if they have something constructive to say, like how they are improving local issues (not going on about what the other party isn't doing), or replying to a question from a Hyndburn resident. Your posts in this thread however have been nothing but irritating garble from an uber-defensive stance in a political party war that only exists in your head.
I am not going to get in to a slanging match with you. I have said there is a lot of positives that could be done (and are not). You seem obsessed by some fake local celebrity culture rather than making a difference. (it would be nice if you could write a post that didn't have my name it for a start).

I have appealed to you to look at the positives.

My view is not exclusively party political. All the big suggestions have come from Labour in control (a decade ago) and Labour in opposition (the last 10 years). If that is so horrendously wrong, say exactly how it is wrong. Be honest and stick to the issues. Take responsibility (something you seem to shy away from all the time) and challenge what is best for me, you and everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
nothing but irritating garble from an uber-defensive stance in a political party war that only exists in your head.
The gulf in ideas between Labour, Independents and Conservatives is massive in Hyndburn (unlike Westminster). The above statement is the opposite of the truth.

Last edited by g jones; 20-02-2009 at 15:17.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
politics

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..