Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 14:46   #1
God Member

Apologies if I've caused offence

I've been told that the word 'purdah' which I've been using to describe the period before an election can also be offensive to muslims as it also can mean the time when muslim women have to be excluded from society during their menstruation. I didn't know this and only knew the meaning that it was related to elections. So, if I've caused offence I apologise.

I shall just have to call this period the same as my 'confused' friend who calls it Prada. I have pointed out to her that must mean it's 'handbags at dawn'. lol

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-04-2006, 15:12   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Apologies if I've caused offence

I think 'Prada' is very apt.....but don't get into trouble with the fashion people Gayle.....or it could cost you money.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 16:16   #3
God Member

Purdah is a political word used in exactly the context you are using it.. Its also one of the chancellor of the exchequer main terms..

How many muslim women do you think are on accyweb... that know you use that word and would think you are offending them? I would guess the figure to be quite low. in fact in the nill to nought range... Sorry... Just wondering why the announcement and public apology?
Old 02-04-2006, 17:16   #4
God Member

See Kipax, that's what I always thought, that it was just a political term but now that I know it's not just a political term I feel guilty about it. I don't like to offend so just thought I'd mention it.

What does everyone else think - should I carry on using it and not worry about it or should I avoid it now that I know the other connotations?

Old 02-04-2006, 17:21   #5
God Member

Is it just Muslim women? Or will you be investigating every word you use and cease using any that could offend someone if used in there language? If you are then you will have a limited dictionary to play with. If not then why not?

Ya did say ya was bored... but....
Old 02-04-2006, 17:26   #6

Gayle please continue to use the word purdah it's a word which has been in use for exactly the purpose that you're using it for a long time.

In fact if you decist to use the word purdah, in it's political context, I shall be offended :engsmil:
Old 02-04-2006, 17:28   #7
God Member

Fair enough!

Old 02-04-2006, 17:52   #8

Yeah, if they don't like it, they know where to go.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 18:03   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Purdah is a perfectly legitimate word in the English language. I believe that we are currently in England where the English language is spoken. Therefore this word is not offensive in its English context. Believe me, if this word was deemed to cause offence to anyone, the PC Brigade would have outlawed it by now...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 18:48   #10

Absolutely.We are'nt even allowed to use the nursery rhyme baa baa black sheep anymore in case it offend's,we have to call them rainbow sheep now.I think it is an absolute disgrace that they are banning everything just so that it doesn't offend them.At the end of the day if they don't like it here they can all sod of back home.I mean if a asian woman walks into a shop with a black cloth on her head, nothing is said, but if a white guy walks in with a balaclava on, then he is likely to get arrested, where is the fairness in that I ask?
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 19:11   #11
God Member

Agree with Lettie on this. Its bad enough as it is without appologising for using words from the dictionary that are legit with a meening different to others.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 19:15   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I've been told that the word 'purdah' which I've been using to describe the period before an election can also be offensive to muslims as it also can mean the time when muslim women have to be excluded from society during their menstruation. I didn't know this and only knew the meaning that it was related to elections. So, if I've caused offence I apologise.

I shall just have to call this period the same as my 'confused' friend who calls it Prada. I have pointed out to her that must mean it's 'handbags at dawn'. lol
I CANNOT BE OFFENDED BY ANYTHING. IM FROM BURNLEY.
bad breath brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 19:18   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Gayle I find the word's Politician, Politics, Labour and Conservative offensive. Please stop using them at once!!
Old 02-04-2006, 19:23   #14
God Member

Agree with Lettie on this. Its bad enough as it is without appologising for using words from the dictionary that are legit with a meening different to others.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 20:14   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

The term purdah means isolation of women and, strictly, it has nothing to do with the menstrual cycle. It encompasses the practice of covering oneself from head to toe in public and not appearing outside the home without a chaperone. Maybe some of our politicians should follow it more literally.

It's a word we have adopted from the Indian subcontinent, like pukka for excellent, tiffin for a light meal and even jodhpurs which are named after an Indian city, and it sits alongside all the words from other languages that have enriched English over the centuries. It's not offensive, was never meant to be and could only be thought so by the most paranoid of the Politically Correct.

Stop worrying.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..