Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 14:24   #1
Senior Member+

Are they worth it?

I think we all agreed the CEO of the RBS bank was overpaid with a bonus of £960,000 even though his job is to rescue one of the biggest banks in the world and get us our £43 billion back. Payment on results- when he's done it we'll think again!
However-Fabio Capello has been paid £24 million for 4 years work.£6 million a year-if it was based on results was he worth it? Come to that even if it wasn't paid on results was he worth it? I've already heard someone say the job wouldn't do for Redknapp, he'd be bored, not enough to do.
Then we have Wayne Rooney-he earns £18,000,000 a year-£346,000 every week! His salary alone is £8 million(or has it gone up?).All right he gets results(when he's allowed on the pitch) but can anyone justify this sort of salary, whatever the job?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-02-2012, 19:07   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I think we all agreed the CEO of the RBS bank was overpaid with a bonus of £960,000 even though his job is to rescue one of the biggest banks in the world and get us our £43 billion back. Payment on results- when he's done it we'll think again!
However-Fabio Capello has been paid £24 million for 4 years work.£6 million a year-if it was based on results was he worth it? Come to that even if it wasn't paid on results was he worth it? I've already heard someone say the job wouldn't do for Redknapp, he'd be bored, not enough to do.
Then we have Wayne Rooney-he earns £18,000,000 a year-£346,000 every week! His salary alone is £8 million(or has it gone up?).All right he gets results(when he's allowed on the pitch) but can anyone justify this sort of salary, whatever the job?
They were actually showing comparisons on Sky Sports News Gordon, Cameron is on £142,000, head of the army is on about 177,000 and so on and a football manager on £5,2 million plus bonuses is well a joke
Old 09-02-2012, 19:17   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They were actually showing comparisons on Sky Sports News Gordon, Cameron is on £142,000, head of the army is on about 177,000 and so on and a football manager on £5,2 million plus bonuses is well a joke
When a reporter mentioned to Babe Ruth that he was asking for more money than President Hoover earned, the Babe said: "I know, but I had a better year than Hoover."

Thing is tho', Cameron can consistently screw up for five years and keep his job. Football managers can get fired on the whim of a rich Russian, or an Indian chicken farmer.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 19:23   #4
God Member

well its kind of our nature to over pay people.We have a family squatting down london that gets paid loads for waving hands and cutting ribbons

ps:

they dont do charity work its not charity if you get a wage doing it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 19:26   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
When a reporter mentioned to Babe Ruth that he was asking for more money than President Hoover earned, the Babe said: "I know, but I had a better year than Hoover."

Thing is tho', Cameron can consistently screw up for five years and keep his job. Football managers can get fired on the whim of a rich Russian, or an Indian chicken farmer.
An Indian chicken farmer, Ohhhhhhh if only that were true
Old 09-02-2012, 20:18   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
An Indian chicken farmer, Ohhhhhhh if only that were true
Mmmm .... I take it you don't like the manager Would it be different if Col. Sanders owned the team
Old 09-02-2012, 20:26   #7
God Member

Quote:
Mmmm .... I take it you don't like the manager Would it be different if Col. Sanders owned the team
not really it would still be halal chicken

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 22:04   #8
Beacon of light

Are they worth it? In a word, NO!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 22:13   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
not really it would still be halal chicken
Halal chicken sold by an American corporation: The worst of both worlds.
Old 09-02-2012, 22:37   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Are they worth it? In a word, NO!
But consider, hon, football is no longer a sport, it's big business. The folks who own, let's call them major league clubs ... you know the one's I mean ... are in it to make money. I remember reading an interview with Park Ji-Sung, and he commented on how happy he was to have proved that he wasn't signed just to sell shirts ... Koreans are a big market. If a manager is succesful in increasing a club's profitability, he is worth a big fat salary. So are the highly paid players.

Of course, in another sense of "worth", I fully agree with you
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well ya it would probably, at least he speak the same language and have a knowledge of how a professional sports team is run
Old 10-02-2012, 10:03   #12
Resting in Peace

The problem with this so called bonus system within the banking industry is a smoke screen, to me a bonus scheme works when, due to your efforts you increase results and productivity and are rewarded with extra on top of your wage, this doesn't seem the case in the banking industry. Mr Hester had a salary of £1.2 million, nice wage if you can get it, and I've no doubt what so ever that he's worth it or why would Gordon have okayed it, but to then nearly doubling it when not actually meeting the targets that were set is laughable really
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25   #13
Beacon of light

Quote:

Of course, in another sense of "worth", I fully agree with you
That is the 'worth' that I mean. I am not a fan of sport....any kind of sport. So I guess that does colour my views somewhat.
I can see other members of society that put much more in(to society) and get a pittance out.

I understand that football clubs bring in a lot of revenue,are big business......but that is because fans will pay!
It is about supply and demand. If the fans were a bit more savvy then they would stop paying for a while and see how fast the prices of everything(to do with the club they support) come down.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..