Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 13:06   #16
God Member

Re: Are You A Haggler?

If you dont ask then you dont get so if in doubt give em a shout. Paying in wads of cash aint always a way to a discount especially when they want you to take it on buy nowpay later or on a credit agreement.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-12-2006, 13:33   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I wouldn't go over that unless there was good reason
Why did giving a discount or throwing in a few freebies affect your wage or any commission on your sales?
Old 05-12-2006, 14:08   #18
God Member

nope, we worked for a set salary, that way it didn't have the effect you mentioned. It also meant that we could give honest advice and sell what teh customer actually wanted not what made us the most money.

We would sometimes use the 'bargain addons' style. we found that especially in stuff like video camera accessories, tripods/bags/filters etc would often be offered to us at silly prices if you took volume so we used to get all the deals then make up packs of accessories that we could throw in. e.g. we were offered quite decent tripods at £5 each if we took 500. they had a retail price of £49.95 in any dealer so add to that a camera bag (cost £2 if we took 400) at £34.95 and a few tapes and a sound mixer for adding music(£1.50 in 500's) at £29.95 you could give a 'pack worth over £100!!! (which actually cost us under a tenner). Customers are quite astute in wanting a bargain but quite often they don't care what that bargain was, the fact they would probably never use teh tripod or mixer meant nowt, they felt they had got one over us

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 14:27   #19
Resting in Peace

Not so much a haggle more a bargin i went into one of the charity shops at the start of the year and came out with NORTON security 2006 unopened for £1 and sold it for £15 the same day
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 14:31   #20
Senior Member+

The only time we try it is abroad.The missus does all the haggling,but to be honest,although she thinks she's ace,she isn't.Example....this year she wanted 5 Lacoste t shirts for x ammount,haggled for ages till the shopkeeper got worn down & agreed.It wasn't till we unpacked them back home that she'd actually got 2 in the size she was after & the other 3 were way too big or small.I told her these blokes have been haggling for years,they know all the tricks & hes' probarbly got rid of sizes he knew he would struggle to sell otherwise.They know that your too pre occupied in getting the price down.
Old 05-12-2006, 14:47   #21
Give, give, give member

I always ask for something off for antiques. Usually start by halfing it then work from there.

If something isn't perfect, and it's the only one in stock, again I ask for and get a discount.

On the otherside, having worked in retail, it does sometimes pee you off when people ask for a discount all the time. People love to think they are getting a bargain, even though the seller will have adjusted their prices to allow for this. It's the same with Sale goods, people don't care how much it is, just as long as it has a red Sale ticket on.

If people used to order ten fully made to measure shirts @£175.00 from me, if I was feeling generous, I might throw in a couple of printed silk ties in. They were happy with eighty quids worth of ties, which would have cost me thirteen quid.

Bargains are like life, if you don't ask, you don't get.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 15:00   #22
God Member

rindy please can i have £100 for christmas??? its worth asking lol
Old 05-12-2006, 15:06   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If people used to order ten fully made to measure shirts @£175.00 from me, if I was feeling generous, I might throw in a couple of printed silk ties in. They were happy with eighty quids worth of ties, which would have cost me thirteen quid.

You can get better quality bri-nylon shirts from the Oxfam shop. Three for a quid, with the ties thrown in for nowt.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 15:10   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
You can get better quality bri-nylon shirts from the Oxfam shop. Three for a quid, with the ties thrown in for nowt.

Not two-fold Egyptian cotton poplin ones, woven in Lancashire, with real Mother of Pearl buttons, and me measuring you and finding out what your needs really are.

You can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse anyway. You stick to your Bri-nylon jobbies, and I just hope I don't catch you with a cigarette at the Christmas meet.

Old 05-12-2006, 15:13   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
You can get better quality bri-nylon shirts from the Oxfam shop.
Heart warming to hear your spending your money in Omfam, supporting those lil black babies in Africa.

Old 05-12-2006, 15:32   #26
God Member

Quote:
Not two-fold Egyptian cotton poplin ones, woven in Lancashire, with real Mother of Pearl buttons, and me measuring you and finding out what your needs really are.

When I mean a shirt, I mean a shirt - not a pyjama top. And I know my collar size, thank you.
Old 05-12-2006, 15:34   #27
God Member

Quote:
Heart warming to hear your spending your money in Omfam, supporting those lil black babies in Africa.
Aye, but I always haggle down the price.
Old 05-12-2006, 15:47   #28
Yank in King Art's Court!

Yeah, I've got the illness of having to research and review and research any big-ticket item I plan on buying. Me mates make fun of me cause I'll always be waiting so long for a better deal to come along. However, when I do ace the deal, I always do well. Mind you I'm not a gerry whinging for every penny. I see it as a game.

I have saved thousands of dollars on cars, and hundreds of dollars on computer systems, televisions, washers and dryers, etc. Currently working on getting a new dishwasher (I keep reminding Cindy it's only been ~15 months ). I know, I really need to lighten up a bit!

Like has been said, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 17:17   #29
Give, give, give member

Like Entwisi posted earlier, it's always worth asking for something off for cash. Retailers put the cost of people paying by cards into the price. For American Express retailers pay 10%, so it's a useful bargaining tool.

When I bought my house, even though property was selling fast at the time, I asked for five grand off because I was paying cash. I got it for the price I wanted, but the ding bat I bought it off never got the carrier bag of notes he at first envisaged.

Old 05-12-2006, 17:45   #30
I am Banned

I take it a lot of people have been reading this thread lot of haggling going on from customers going between gamestation & the one across from it, i had to giggle at the failed attempts even to points of opening hours LOL
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..