Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 18:57   #31
God Member

Re: Are You A Haggler?

Entwisi, Rind, how can you suggest that discount hunters are a pain when your achieving such a such a massive profit margin as you mentioned earlier when the customer is only trying to get a good deal for their money? Not a criticism just a question, I understand everybody has to make a living.

Rindy were you working for yourself? I can understand if you were because that will be your own money but entwisi you were protecting a firms money.

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 05-12-2006 at 19:03.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-12-2006, 22:42   #32
God Member

Me i'm always to embarrassed to ask for a discount. My sisters - theyre not! I went shopping with my sister once a few years ago for an outfit for a wedding and the shoes were already in the sale and she got a couple of quid knocked off because there was a tiny mark on one of the shoes - on the heel! Another time i went shopping with her - i'll never forget this one they knocked off 2.50 a pair of white shoes - all because there was a tiny grey spot on them and when we brought them home she got a damp cloth and rubbed it off!
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 23:35   #33
Passed away 25-11-09

I haggled when I took my grandson, then aged 17, to Malta a couple of years ago but his technique was far better. His mum collects ornamental elephants and he saw a large brass one he wanted to buy for her on the Sunday flea-market in Valletta. The chap wanted LM7 for it (about £11). I offered him LM5 and, though he didn't look happy, he agreed. Peter looked in his wallet and said he hadn't got that much with him and he had really wanted it for his mother but never mind. He looked so downcast and miserable about it the chap said, OK, he could have it for LM3.50. Done - he got the elephant. Peter, later, told me he actually had LM40 on him but he thought it was worth a try. I learned a lot from that.
Old 05-12-2006, 23:43   #34
white rabbits

I love to haggle.. i like to squeeze them till the pips come out....i dont feel embarassed at all .
Old 06-12-2006, 00:21   #35
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Entwisi, Rind, how can you suggest that discount hunters are a pain when your achieving such a such a massive profit margin as you mentioned earlier when the customer is only trying to get a good deal for their money? Not a criticism just a question, I understand everybody has to make a living.

Rindy were you working for yourself? I can understand if you were because that will be your own money but entwisi you were protecting a firms money.

No, I was working for my old company, and wasn't on commission either, just a salary. It didn't really pee me off if people asked for discounts, it's just that our prices were fairly competitive already. A lot of other companies already marked up prices which allowed for discounts to be given, we didn't.

The advice I always give people is 'can you afford it, and is the price acceptable to you? If so buy it.'

I was always amazed at people who just bought things because they were 'on Sale'. They didn't care how much it was, or what the original price was, just that it had a red Sale sticker on, and so must be a bargain. It isn't always, as a lot of firms buy crap in for the Sales.

Happily I only sold to a few select customers, the rest of the time I was off buying ties etc in Italy and France. Spending money is always so much more fun...and I always wangled a discount.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:22   #36
Senior Member+

*L*

i wud love to haggle - my mom wud truely be world champion - yrs of dealing wiht wholesalers - but seeing as i'm lookin for a few things myself i may actually start to haggle but i'm just too nervous thinkin what if the shop ppl think i'm being stingy etc

its a commone thing everywhere apart from usa and uk
Old 06-12-2006, 07:45   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post

Are they a pain, nope, the example of the lad I quoted was a total extreme case. I'm as bad as anyone for being 'efficient with money' (Tight my dad would have called it! )

As for protecting the companies money yes I was, They paid me a salary to make them as much money as possible by selling items. It would have been unprofessional of me to not do that to the best of my ability. Say what you like but I will always try and do my very best no matter what my job is.

BTW, I caught mthead in ASDA last night and HE DIDN'T ASK FOR DISCOUNT!!!! Get him told off Tinks!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:04   #38
mez
God Member

you in asda ian !!!!! thought you were a tesco's man
Old 06-12-2006, 09:12   #39
God Member

I am normally but Asda are £1.20 cheaper on Siobhans nappies than Tesco. (See comment above about being 'efficient with money') and I was driving past on my home from physio. I still don't like it in there but I'll put up with it when I can effectively buy 3 get 1 free.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..