Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2007, 13:46   #106

Re: Are You Safe In His Taxi

i dont know how well he can read but his english is poor. but i know he makes over £500 a time making wedding videos at practicall y every asian wedding( which during the summer months is every weekend). so if he feels so strongly for this taxi driver maybe he should fork out for him personally instead of endorsing him for the ataxi job.
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-03-2007, 18:12   #107
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Those who behaved so appallingly should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. I would be disgusted with my children if they acted like that. What a lovely example of mature adult behaviour from people who should know better.

I agree, if what Graham Jones said is true about the treatment Clare Pritchard received, and I suspect it is, otherwise he wouldn't have dared post it here, then it is appalling, and it's a wondeful insight into how the people we elect to act on our behalf, behave away from the public gaze, and of course the press.

I think it is totally disgusting.

If the council were a company, people would be sacked for this. But then again if it was a company half the people wouldn't have been employed there in the first place, through lack of relevant experience, as well as the academic qualifications needed to do the job, and that applies to the leader of the council too.

Hopefully, with more legal ways now available to find out what shenanigans goes on behind closed doors, the public will see some of these people for what they really are. Bullies and meglomaniacs are two words that initially spring to mind.

Again, bloody well done Clare. You have more principles and guts than all of the other lot put together. Keep up the good work.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 18:15   #108
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
This brings up something I have mentioned before. Should elected people be in a position to make decisions like this? What training is given/needed to be on such a committee?
I take it then Graham that your answer to my question would be no they should not.
Old 18-03-2007, 18:24   #109
I am Banned

i wonder if this carry on will get remembered at election time or as usual people will forget and tick the box giving teh same clowns the power as usual

if i was labour i would highlight this on every leaflet dropped through every door in hynburn

if i was tory i would be sorting this mess out right away and appologising for it before labour could use it against me

if i was lib dem i would probably bleet on about the perverts rights
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 19:12   #110
God Member

Less than a third of the population of Hyndburn read the Observer, even less read the Telegraph. So most people in the town know nothing about these issues.

Bizarrely, even for a local election most people vote based on national issues (honestly!). One of the reasons that Labour in Hyndburn did so badly last May was because of all the stuff about the war in the press and the Prescott saga at the time.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 19:20   #111
God Member

I think the councillors in question should be held accountable, I for one wont be using CB anymore, shame for the drivers that are ok but not prepared to take the risk.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 19:21   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I think the councillors in question should be held accountable, I for one wont be using CB anymore, shame for the drivers that are ok but not prepared to take the risk.
The only other firm I used to use if C&o have no taxi's available was Arrow...but I won't even use them now on my own.

Thanks grego for the karma.....

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 20:04   #113
Super Moderator

Very interesting comments, Graham, and they certainly don't show the Tories in a good light. However, I'm still waiting for you to explain why Labour councillor, John Broadley voted to reinstate the driver concerned?
Old 18-03-2007, 22:28   #114
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Very interesting comments, Graham, and they certainly don't show the Tories in a good light. However, I'm still waiting for you to explain why Labour councillor, John Broadley voted to reinstate the driver concerned?

a good point

surely a grown man cant have been bullied into doing the wrong thing

seems like the only person with the balls to object was a woman
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 05:19   #115
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I have seen Clare at meetings a couple of times, she certainly doesn't come across as someone who will be bullied into doing something she doesn't want too.
Old 19-03-2007, 06:43   #116
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Obviously the whole situation has to be looked at. And not just this case either. I have not spoken to John yet but there needs to be a decision soon as to the way forward. I know John has been bullied, but I can't talk about that particular case because I will be suspended. I do have two stressed Councillors. Clare has calmed down since it came out.

I personally take the blame if John has not been able to do the right thing because John is a very nice guy who cares and in the end he made the wrong decision. Under normal circumstances John I am sure would have been fine, however there is little to commend that committee the way it operates.

I, in conjunction with other senior Labour Councillors pick committee members and I knew that bullying and intimidation went on (for a 'cross party decision') years ago and nothing has changed up to this weekend. I have learnt a lot myself, but the buck stops with me as to why John was there in the first place under those conditions. I am just grateful that Clare refused to buckle as well because want went on since 19 Feb was unpleasant as well.

All officers except the Solicitor for the Council leave when decision times come. He/She is not allowed to speak or advise members on which way to vote. Councillors have to read the report and adcvice contained within and apply their own moral compass. The committee tend to drag out the decision making process until at least one labour member, but prefereably both have voted 'in line'.

Last edited by g jones; 19-03-2007 at 06:46.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 11:14   #117
God Member

So its not to how the case should be treated but on the merits of political feelings and whether votes won out weigh votes lost in an election. Dragging it out and bullying seems to me to be the way that one person gets his/her way over the rest. I hope the driver involved dosnt attack again because I can see the excuses that will pour forth from the committee like a winter mudslide.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 11:35   #118
Resting in peace

Quote:
katex. Don't think this decision was particularly 'vote catching' was it Ian ?
Re post 98, This is where the arm twisting comes in when dodgy decisions are being made,if other members of the committee do not want to 'rock the boat' with a certain section of the community, it's a case of we'll not vote with you when your up against it. I know this reply is a bit sketchy but this subject is getting a little sensitive, regards,Ian.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 11:38   #119

as far as i am concerned peter britcliff is responsible for the way these cases are handled. anyone who votes for such a person is also responsible. is anyone going to admit that they have voted for britcliffe
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 11:39   #120
Resident Waffler

I'm not in his ward. Next time I vote I want to know where my prospective candidate stands on issues like this.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

« the sun today | tea »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..