Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Are you sick to the European Union?
Yes. 18 94.74%
No. 1 5.26%
I don't know. 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2012, 14:15   #46
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Are you sick to the E.U.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm sure he can see that the 95% do give a stuff.
Not necessarily, it's a Bolicticians 95% when all's said & done.

For us peons, that means 95 burghers out of 100 agree/disagree, but in Bolictical parlance if only 30 odd bods bother & 28.5 agree/disagree, then obviously, that overrides the peasant majorities opinion of the 1.5 that didn't & the other 70 no shows ! Giving the stated 95%.

Seemples !
Old 31-10-2012, 14:29   #47
Beacon of light

Yes, the results are skewed by by those not counted....some of us no-shows, actually showed and wrote something on our ballot paper........but that means we don't count...except, in real terms we do!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 20:39   #48

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

See this is what I do not understand about British politics....a vote is passed in the house but is not BINDING on ministers!!!!

BBC News - EU budget vote: Rebel MPs defeat government over spending cut call

Unless I'm way off base here, this is saying that a democratic vote in parliament is MEANINGLESS because the government can pretty much ignore it and go ahead with doing what it wants anyway.

If the way I'm reading this is true, just what is the freakin' point of spending an arm and a leg on free elections and 500+ MP's if we end up with a dictatorship?

Genuinely puzzled here
Old 31-10-2012, 21:39   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
See this is what I do not understand about British politics....a vote is passed in the house but is not BINDING on ministers!!!!

BBC News - EU budget vote: Rebel MPs defeat government over spending cut call

Unless I'm way off base here, this is saying that a democratic vote in parliament is MEANINGLESS because the government can pretty much ignore it and go ahead with doing what it wants anyway.

If the way I'm reading this is true, just what is the freakin' point of spending an arm and a leg on free elections and 500+ MP's if we end up with a dictatorship?

Genuinely puzzled here
It's all above board..have people forgot that one of the first acts the con-dems forced through Parliment was that any binding vote was changed from 51% to 55%..the Tories also made it almost impossible to throw them out within five years by pushing through the same percentage of vote for Parliment voting on no confidence.. it used to be 51% of a vote in the house.. they made it 55%.. so much for democracy
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 22:27   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
It's all above board..have people forgot that one of the first acts the con-dems forced through Parliment was that any binding vote was changed from 51% to 55%..the Tories also made it almost impossible to throw them out within five years by pushing through the same percentage of vote for Parliment voting on no confidence.. it used to be 51% of a vote in the house.. they made it 55%.. so much for democracy
That's similar to what Hitler did when he got in power, except more extreme.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 23:10   #51
God Member

Tell you what all this talk about leaving the EU makes me laugh.. all of a sudden the Tory farmers are kakin themselves.. most of thier income comes from benifits from the EU..ain't seen the counryside alliance or farmers organising blockades these days..
Old 31-10-2012, 23:59   #52
God Member

I tell you another thing that turns the gut..the Lib-Dems voted en mass for Cameron and the Tories yet again.. Nick Glegg and his sheep are in so deep the poo is up to thier necks.. they will take the toll.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:56   #53
Beacon of light

Mancie, I do not recall you being so vociferous about new Labour policies...in any past thread. In your eyes they did no wrong.
Any opportunities to kick the tories for whatever reason...real or perceived.

They( the politicians) are all cut from the same bit of cloth......on the bias too.
None of 'em can lie straight in bed.

While David Cameron may choose to ignore the message from the 50 dissenters, I think that, to do so would be dangerous to his leadership...and I would guess he wants to hold onto that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:38   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
What is more worrying is that this is a prime example of a total loss of sovereignty, it shows our Parliament to be powerless because Cameron can still go to Brussels and agree an increase in funds for the EU despite a majority vote against by MP's.

In a few days many kids will be chucking an effigy on a bonfire, we should actually be building statues to Guy Fawkes all over the country, he was way ahead of his time with his thinking
Old 01-11-2012, 09:09   #55
God Member

Quote:
he was way ahead of his time with his thinking
That puzzles me. I believe that his motive was to murder James I because, as a catholic, he wanted to murder a protestant monarch, and replace him with a catholic one.

Although I agree with the abolition of monarchy, that wasn't his intention, and that isn't the topic of this thread.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That puzzles me. I believe that his motive was to murder James I because, as a catholic, he wanted to murder a protestant monarch, and replace him with a catholic one.

Although I agree with the abolition of monarchy, that wasn't his intention, and that isn't the topic of this thread.
All I can say is you're easily puzzled, if you can't see that I was referring to him attempting to blow up parliament....which considering the pointless vote on the EU yesterday is very much 'on' thread.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:45   #57
God Member

Quote:
All I can say is you're easily puzzled, if you can't see that I was referring to him attempting to blow up parliament....which considering the pointless vote on the EU yesterday is very much 'on' thread.
His motive doesn't match - so can't be considered 'ahead of his time'.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:28   #58
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
His motive doesn't match - so can't be considered 'ahead of his time'.
Motive wasn't the point being made, it's the intent that was being highlighted, the blowing up of Parliament that was my understanding of the comment made by Guinness.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:32   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Motive wasn't the point being made, it's the intent that was being highlighted, the blowing up of Parliament that was my understanding of the comment made by Guinness.
Thats the way i took it.By the way, very interesting how this new poll also demonstrates this 95% P.M.S.L.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:25   #60
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Disgraceful, dedication to the job long gone out the window.
Is it dedication gone out the window?

As that doctors shift finished was another one not starting who could take over?

How long should a doctor work before being forced to leave so they don't become to tired to work?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..