Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33   #1
Resting in Peace

Are you superstitious

Unlucky for some... Council to renumber new builds 12A because no one wants to live at number 13 | Mail Online

Saw this article this morning and wondering what your views are on this subject, not only this but other superstitions. I can't say I've ever had any superstitions myself, you know the black cat crossing your path or walking under a ladder and I certainly wouldn't refuse to live at a house number 13 that is for sure
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Are you superstitious

I'm not superstitious but I know some people who let it rule their lives. I was always told a black cat crossing your path was lucky but seems to vary from town to town. I call a cat a "moggy" but my friend from Leigh insists a moggy is a mouse.
gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Never gave a monkeys about superstitions, but know quite a few saddos that do.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:25   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbert View Post
I'm not superstitious but I know some people who let it rule their lives. I was always told a black cat crossing your path was lucky but seems to vary from town to town. I call a cat a "moggy" but my friend from Leigh insists a moggy is a mouse.
My partner comes from that neck of the woods and she calls um moggies
Old 09-03-2012, 11:05   #5
Beacon of light

Cashy, I must be one of the saddo's then........I am a bit superstitious, but it doesn't rule my life....well, not in a major way.
I won't open an umbrella indoors, and I don't put new shoes on the table....if I give a gift of a knife or something sharp - I expect a coin in return so that the recipient and I, do not 'cut our luck'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:32   #6

I am not superstitious, touch wood.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:33   #7
Beacon of light

I like that Michael
Old 09-03-2012, 12:13   #8
God Member

my close dosnt have a number 13

sory about that but i have to say it 3 times after using it or teh world will end.

i just save a lot of lives right there

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50   #9
God Member

In Italy it's the number 17 that is bad luck, especially Friday the 17th

Comes from the roman numeral XVII which is an anagram of VIXI which means "I have lived" -a perfect tense in Latin which implies "I am dead..." , at least that's what I've been told. Hence the superstition.

In the DaVinci Code I seem to remember them explaining the 13 thing being linked to a massacre of innocents in France...

A lot of superstitions are linked to nature and death -owls are bad luck, crows, a single magpie etc...
New shoes on the table I would avoid, like Margaret. Not walking under ladders makes sense especially if they are painting up there...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 13:58   #10
Beacon of light

Oh, I had forgotten the magpie one........I always salute a single magpie and ask if his wife and children are well....that is if I am on my own....if I am with someone I get them to look at the single magpie, because it defuses the bad omen......well, according to the rhyme:- This unlucky bird, when seen by two, will bring good luck to both of you.
Old 09-03-2012, 14:17   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Oh, I had forgotten the magpie one........I always salute a single magpie and ask if his wife and children are well....that is if I am on my own....if I am with someone I get them to look at the single magpie, because it defuses the bad omen......well, according to the rhyme:- This unlucky bird, when seen by two, will bring good luck to both of you.
That may well make more sense than you think.

Magpies are credited with intelligence, and if this includes telepathy, which some animals use, then the magpie will get your message.

Bird Intelligence: The European Magpie

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 14:51   #12
Beacon of light

Margaret, I am not the only one who salutes the single magpie.......I was walking back from school one morning and I met a lady coming along the path in the opposite direction....and she did it too.
When we drew level she said to me 'I bet you think I'm daft......talking to the magpie'
so I told her I do exactly the same and have done for as long as I can remember.
Old 09-03-2012, 14:56   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Cashy, I must be one of the saddo's then........I am a bit superstitious, but it doesn't rule my life....well, not in a major way.
I won't open an umbrella indoors, and I don't put new shoes on the table....if I give a gift of a knife or something sharp - I expect a coin in return so that the recipient and I, do not 'cut our luck'.
Quote:
A bit superstitious? What's your definition of very superstitious?
You haven't even started on black cats, Friday 13th, spilling salt,breaking a mirror,knocking on wood etc.,!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 15:06   #14
Beacon of light

Gordon, that is only a bit superstitious.
Why don't you look at what some footballers do before a match to see real superstition.

Many of the current superstitions go way back to the mists of time...so that they have become incorporated into every day life......the knocking on wood, the spilling of salt, the breaking of a mirror.......some of these things are done without thinking of what they meant back in those olden days...we do them because we saw our grans do them....but often we don't know why.
I take it, that you aren't at all superstitious then Gordon....you don't have any lucky underpants.......or a lucky jingling coin, a rabbits foot.

All harmless stuff when you look at what is going on in the big bad world out there.

So, it makes me a B.O.B.......I know that I am a B.O.B. I quite like being a B.O.B.
Old 09-03-2012, 15:28   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
I take it, that you aren't at all superstitious then Gordon....you don't have any lucky underpants.......or a lucky jingling coin, a rabbits foot.
Lucky underpants? Do they cost extra? And what happens to me if I have unlucky underpants?
As for a rabbits foot, not very lucky for the three legged rabbit!
I wouldn't think you can have one jingling coin- wouldn't you need two? Can't afford that.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 09-03-2012 at 15:34.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..