Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2009, 10:34   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Area Management Calendars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Jaysay, it's your opinion that the country has been screwed for 12 years. I think the country is a lot better than in 1997. That's only my opinion.
I don't believe that one Graham, there used to be a Rock band called Blind Faith, bet you were one of their biggest fans
Old 18-12-2009, 10:39   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Angel View Post
How much money was wasted on putting this calendar together?
All of it

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 10:52   #33
God Member

I don't agree with the council sending out calendars. I however think it's petty of Labour councillors to ask for their details to be removed. The thing is already being produced and it seems a waste to retract councillors names from it. If you oppose it that's fine, shout it from the rooftops, but you may as well be on it if it's going out, for residents to see who all their councillors are and contact details rather than seeing some of their members because of political squabbling at Christmas.
Old 18-12-2009, 11:08   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Angel View Post
How much money was wasted on putting this calendar together?

The cost of the calendar varies from area to area. Ossy's about just over £530, which is the biggest area. Then you have to add on the cost of delivering the calendar.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 11:24   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
The cost of the calendar varies from area to area. Ossy's about just over £530, which is the biggest area. Then you have to add on the cost of delivering the calendar.
Mind you that does pale into insignificance when you look at the money Gordon has thrown down the drain
Old 18-12-2009, 18:17   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't agree with the council sending out calendars. I however think it's petty of Labour councillors to ask for their details to be removed....
I think I agree with you on that one
Old 18-12-2009, 18:20   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Mind you that does pale into insignificance when you look at the money Gordon has thrown down the drain
Maybe but what could £530 have been used for in Ossy?

I wonder how much it would have cost to send every house hold a letter with the contact details on and other useful info instead?
Old 18-12-2009, 18:30   #38
God Member

Is there really any need to send this info out to residents? All the info can be obtained from the town hall.
Old 18-12-2009, 18:41   #39
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Is there really any need to send this info out to residents? All the info can be obtained from the town hall.
I am undecided about this. Not everyone knows how to contact there Councillor or why they might want to.

Maybe a letter saying who your local ones are and how to contact them. They could explain what they can help you with and add other useful number like dog warden, crimestoppers etc.
Old 18-12-2009, 21:17   #40
God Member

A letter is fine but would anyone keep it? With a calendar there is always the off-chance that some people might keep hold of it. Last year I went to an office in the Ribble Valley and they one of the Area Council calendars on the wall - proof that they are sometimes used.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 21:21   #41
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
A letter is fine but would anyone keep it? With a calendar there is always the off-chance that some people might keep hold of it. Last year I went to an office in the Ribble Valley and they one of the Area Council calendars on the wall - proof that they are sometimes used.
A letter could better explain what the hell Councillors do or can do for you.

If you ask 10 people in the street what use is a local Councillor to you, how many do you think will have any idea at all?
Then ask them if they have ever spoken to there local Councillor except at election time. I would guess none of them will have.
Old 18-12-2009, 21:59   #42
Senior Member+

That's a bit OTT to say Labour has screwed the country. The UK is a much better place now than it was in 1997. Education, health care, civil liberties, immgration laws, the number of people in work, protection for those in work. There is a book somewhere entitled 300 Labour gains. It makes you think how easily we forget at times what has been done.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 22:10   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't agree with the council sending out calendars. I however think it's petty of Labour councillors to ask for their details to be removed. The thing is already being produced and it seems a waste to retract councillors names from it. If you oppose it that's fine, shout it from the rooftops, but you may as well be on it if it's going out, for residents to see who all their councillors are and contact details rather than seeing some of their members because of political squabbling at Christmas.
But surely if you are on it,when you don't agree with ratepayers money being used fer it, then it would look to many folk like you do? thats how i see it, n think its you thats being petty in that instance.
Old 18-12-2009, 22:14   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
But surely if you are on it,when you don't agree with ratepayers money being used fer it, then it would look to many folk like you do? thats how i see it, n think its you thats being petty in that instance.
This is AccyWeb, you are not supposed to post sensible things
Old 18-12-2009, 22:36   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Presumably they don't agree with it because it's an unnecessary waste (at least that is why I don't agree with it). It's even more of a waste if it is produced but with only half the councillors on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
That's a bit OTT to say Labour has screwed the country. The UK is a much better place now than it was in 1997. Education, health care, civil liberties, immgration laws, the number of people in work, protection for those in work. There is a book somewhere entitled 300 Labour gains. It makes you think how easily we forget at times what has been done.
Education: 8th in international Maths league tables in 1997, now 24th.
Health Care: Very highly funded, not sure we have seen the full fruits of it though. Example the billions wasted on NHS IT system.
Civil liberties: Giving powers to councils to use terrorist-like surveillance on residents for trying to cheat catchment areas to get a better education for their children. Countless bodies allowed to enter our homes. A relentless pursuit of ID cards. Holding innocent peoples DNA against their will.
Immigration laws: More needs to be done. Jack Straw looked a fool on Question Time when he tried to argue that the rise of the BNP was nothing to do with Labour's immigration policy.
Number of people in work: 2.5 million people are unemployed, and that's according to official figures which hide much of the reality. 1 in 5 young people are out of work. Five million people have never had a job under Labour.

All this with double the deficit that the last Labour government left us with. In many peoples eyes, yes, Labour have screwed the country.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..