Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-12-2009, 09:15   #76
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Area Management Calendars 2010

If the calendars are promotional maybe all ward Councillors details should be on them and they should not be able to opt out.

Should this be done by the main Council and not the Area Management boards?
Old 23-12-2009, 09:16   #77
Senior Member+

The Council already puts out a newspaper the Beacon which goes out to every house in the Borough at least twice a year. That's suppose to inform people of the various council services, telephone numbers etc.

It doesn't come cheap putting that paper out, so why is there a need for calendars.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 10:20   #78
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
It doesn't come cheap putting that paper out, so why is there a need for calendars.
Ego-tripping, pure and simple. Funny how they don't have the bottle to come on here, where people might ask them real questions about local council policies. Much better to hide behind a posed picture.
Old 23-12-2009, 10:32   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Ego-tripping, pure and simple. Funny how they don't have the bottle to come on here, where people might ask them real questions about local council policies. Much better to hide behind a posed picture.
Whats the point, taking questions from people living in Cheshire wynonie or Canada, USA, Australia, India, and all point south, the only time Britcliffe has posted on here, replies had to be removed. Of regular users on here only a small percentage actually live here
Old 23-12-2009, 10:33   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
There was an article about this in today's Telegraph. Wonder if they read it here first?

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I think that the Labour councillors are making a big deal out of nothing.

It is the duty of the council to make sure that everyone in the borough knows how to get hold of their councillors. The calendars are a relatively inexpensive method of doing this and I think that ALL councillors names and contact details should be on. By making a protest about this you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I know you're going to argue that you spent money out of your own pockets to send Christmas cards but that's one of the most pointless exercises - a Christmas card is guaranteed to be put in the recycling bag but at least a calendar might be put in a drawer. Plus, as we've pointed out many times, why should anyone who represents the council be out of pocket for doing work related to the council - why should you spend your pitiful council allowance on buying cards related to your council business?
At last some one talking sense
Old 23-12-2009, 10:48   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
At last some one talking sense
I always do, it's just that in the past you've been blinded by the colour of my rosette.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 10:51   #82
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Whats the point, taking questions from people living in Cheshire wynonie or Canada, USA, Australia, India, and all point south, the only time Britcliffe has posted on here, replies had to be removed. Of regular users on here only a small percentage actually live here
There's also a large proportion of local people post on here who, I'm sure, would love to be able to ask their local councillors questions.

As for Councillor Britcliffe, he laid himself open to mickey-taking by posting in a curious third person style. Funny how other councillors like Bernard, Graham and Clayton Ender don't feel the need to do that?
Old 23-12-2009, 10:54   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
There was an article about this in today's Telegraph. Wonder if they read it here first?

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I think that the Labour councillors are making a big deal out of nothing.

It is the duty of the council to make sure that everyone in the borough knows how to get hold of their councillors. The calendars are a relatively inexpensive method of doing this and I think that ALL councillors names and contact details should be on. By making a protest about this you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I know you're going to argue that you spent money out of your own pockets to send Christmas cards but that's one of the most pointless exercises - a Christmas card is guaranteed to be put in the recycling bag but at least a calendar might be put in a drawer. Plus, as we've pointed out many times, why should anyone who represents the council be out of pocket for doing work related to the council - why should you spend your pitiful council allowance on buying cards related to your council business?
I read it too.. the only reason it looks like shameless self promotion by the leading party is because the opposition have decided to completely withdraw from it. If all the councillors were involved it would be a much better informative calendar. As it stands residents are only getting half the information for the full cost.

Additionally to anyone in the know, what are these area management boards, how do you get on them and when are they?
Old 23-12-2009, 11:00   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
There's also a large proportion of local people post on here who, I'm sure, would love to be able to ask their local councillors questions.

As for Councillor Britcliffe, he laid himself open to mickey-taking by posting in a curious third person style. Funny how other councillors like Bernard, Graham and Clayton Ender don't feel the need to do that?
Well Bernard originally did. I find it curious that people that criticise Britcliffe for not coming on here don't e-mail, phone or speak to him in person about their query though. People make out as if they're not contactable because they don't post on Accringtonweb, yet I've never had a problem getting in contact. Only person I have had a problem with contact is Graham Jones in regards to my dissertation research.

Before Britcliffe came on Accringtonweb I used to say I wouldn't if I were him. When he did actually come all be it in third person, the usual suspects didn't care about welcoming him and asking questions or even adding advice that it'd be better if he just came on as himself, they were out to cause trouble, nothing more.
Old 23-12-2009, 11:05   #85
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I read it too.. the only reason it looks like shameless self promotion by the leading party is because the opposition have decided to completely withdraw from it. If all the councillors were involved it would be a much better informative calendar. As it stands residents are only getting half the information for the full cost.

Additionally to anyone in the know, what are these area management boards, how do you get on them and when are they?

Has anyone noticed the irony that I'm saying the 'Labour party are making a big deal out of nothing' and Andrew is saying that 'it looks like shameless self promotion by the leading party'? Funny!

Perhaps it's some parallel universe thing!!!!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 11:38   #86
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well Bernard originally did. I find it curious that people that criticise Britcliffe for not coming on here don't e-mail, phone or speak to him in person about their query though. People make out as if they're not contactable because they don't post on Accringtonweb, yet I've never had a problem getting in contact. Only person I have had a problem with contact is Graham Jones in regards to my dissertation research.

Before Britcliffe came on Accringtonweb I used to say I wouldn't if I were him. When he did actually come all be it in third person, the usual suspects didn't care about welcoming him and asking questions or even adding advice that it'd be better if he just came on as himself, they were out to cause trouble, nothing more.
Seem to remember that Bernard originally posted on here under a pseudonym (some 19th century revolutionary bloke), which attracted a wave of critical posts (including mine). He shrugged it off, changed his user name and just carried on posting, as most people would.

As for emailing councillor Britcliffe, fine, but surely it would interesting to hear and debate his views on local and national political issues as indeed it would be to hear from other card-carrying Tories, councillors or otherwise. After all, he regularly makes his views known in the local press, but I suppose no one can argue back there.
Old 23-12-2009, 11:58   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

more spin n crap yer getting quite good at it, Perhaps if Britliffe had taken the trouble to "Introduce" Himself, the usual suspects would have welcomed him as they usually do? still bit difficult i suppose,grasping that fact.
Old 23-12-2009, 12:34   #88
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I don't think Peter Britcliffe could ever post on here as himself without posts from others having to be removed often. It would be nice to think he could but for some unknown reason some people appear to really dislike him.
Old 23-12-2009, 12:42   #89
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't think Peter Britcliffe could ever post on here as himself without posts from others having to be removed often. It would be nice to think he could but for some unknown reason some people appear to really dislike him.
well if ya don't know the reason mate, ya led a very sheltered life.
Old 23-12-2009, 14:19   #90
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well if ya don't know the reason mate, ya led a very sheltered life.
Please enlighten me, it might be funny if nothing else.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..