Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2009, 11:21   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: Area Management Calendars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I know about the newly elected one, just thought the other one was an office
It was you, amongst others, that confirmed the rather grandly named member, HisMaster'sVoiceHBC, or whatever he called himself, was indeed your little chum Peter Britcliffe, even though he at first posted in the third person.

Two subsequent posts were made in the first person singular, but he mixed up his commas and full stops, making a mockery of the figures he gave referring to councillor's expenses.

Sadly he hasn't been seen since.

Still, at least you now know which two Tory councillers that have posted on here.

I was next going to give you the clues that their two first names rhymed with 'cheater' and 'rude biff'.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-12-2009, 14:53   #107
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The same could be said of the Christmas cards, which contain similar contact details. The only difference being the cards aren't funded from the public purse.

Personally I think the calendars are a complete waste of tax payer's hard earned cash.

Mine's ready to go into the recycling sack, and if I do need to contact my councillors in the coming year, I shall simply look up their easy to find details at the time.
There's an element of political propaganda in both the calendars and the Christmas cards as you say.

But the point is that where as the Calendars are being funded by the Council Tax Payer, the Christmas cards are funded by individual Labour Councillors.

The Council tax payer should not be funding Political Propaganda.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 15:59   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
There's an element of political propaganda in both the calendars and the Christmas cards as you say.

But the point is that where as the Calendars are being funded by the Council Tax Payer, the Christmas cards are funded by individual Labour Councillors.

As previously mentioned, I disagree with the calendars. Your party's decision though, to not be pictured on them because you presumably lost a vote? means that you have made a calendar party political that would have been independent.
Old 24-12-2009, 16:25   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:

It's the petty refusal to appear on the Area Management Calendar by the Labour representative that's made it political
Old 24-12-2009, 17:31   #110
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
As previously mentioned, I disagree with the calendars. Your party's decision though, to not be pictured on them because you presumably lost a vote? means that you have made a calendar party political that would have been independent.
I would challenge anyone after they have looked at the calendars that have gone out, to tell me hand on heart that they are not political propaganda.
Old 24-12-2009, 17:33   #111
God Member

Quote:
I would challenge anyone after they have looked at the calendars that have gone out, to tell me hand on heart that they are not political propaganda.
I am yet to see/receive one. What makes them party political other than the lack of Labour councillors?
Old 24-12-2009, 17:41   #112
Senior Member+

Quote:
I am yet to see/receive one. What makes them party political other than the lack of Labour councillors?
I'm not actually against the local Tories putting out calendars if that's what they want to do. But they shouldn't expect the Council Tax Payer to pay for them.
Old 24-12-2009, 17:43   #113
Super Moderator

Does anyone really want to look at the mush of a local councillor everyday? I know I certainly wouldn't. Without wishing to get too personal, I'm sure their are much more pleasant images people would prefer to be confronted with when they look up at the kitchen noticeboard, whether it be scenic views of the Lake District or Playboy babes.
Old 24-12-2009, 17:48   #114
God Member

Quote:
I'm not actually against the local Tories putting out calendars if that's what they want to do. But they shouldn't expect the Council Tax Payer to pay for them.
Bernard you said that when people look at the calendars they will see they are party political. Other than the lack of Labour councillors on them, what is party political?
Old 24-12-2009, 18:00   #115
Senior Member+

Quote:
They clearly represent a political purpose. Labour Councillors did in deed do Christmas cards much to the chagrain of the elderly and broke Conservative counterparts. In response The Leader decided that Labour Christmas cards could be nullified by Council Calendars making Labour Councillors look the most stupid doing both, one on tax payers money.

My own view is that Christmas cards are non council funded and delivered by councillors out amongst constituents.

Calendars are a complete waste. Badly designed, missing lots of information using money better spent on front line services. So regardless of anyones else's opinion my name will not be included in what is a complete waste.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 18:03   #116
Senior Member+

Quote:
Bernard you said that when people look at the calendars they will see they are party political. Other than the lack of Labour councillors on them, what is party political?
It's self evident there party political Andrew, there's only Tory Councillors on them. Have a look at the Ossy one Andrew, you'll see what I mean about being propaganda.
Old 24-12-2009, 18:16   #117
Senior Member+

Quote:
They already exit stage left when it comes to their useless government, if, god forbid they ever take control of HBC you wouldn't see them for dust
How do you draw those conclusions? Brown has managed the crises excellently. Yes it's a major downturn (-6%) but the worst of it (collapsing banks, 4m unemployed, 80,000 repossesions) hasn't happened. BTW all western countries are around -6%.

When have I ducked issues except the daft right wing ones you dig up from the Daily Mail that aren't worth responding too?

I do not agree with aspects of New Labour/Brown/Blair but that is democracy. Should Ken Clarke become a Euro sceptic just because most Tories are? He's still in the shadow cabinet.

I believe sometimes you are so party political you will disregard an argument for the betterment of all.
Old 24-12-2009, 18:17   #118
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Does anyone really want to look at the mush of a local councillor everyday? I know I certainly wouldn't. Without wishing to get too personal, I'm sure their are much more pleasant images people would prefer to be confronted with when they look up at the kitchen noticeboard, whether it be scenic views of the Lake District or Playboy babes.
Six bleached out, pasty-faced, gurning mug shots, aren't my my preferred viewing for the year.

Like I said, mine's already ready to be recycled, but not wanting to be churlishly selfish, here's the Oswaldtwistle one, for those not lucky enough to have received one.

I'm just very thankful they're not dressed up as Mr. and Mrs. Bumble's Victorian parodies, because more than one or two of them could easily pass as the actors who played them in the film, Harry Secombe and Peggy Mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0100.jpg (329.5 KB, 8 views)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 18:18   #119
Senior Member+

Quote:
They already exit stage left when it comes to their useless government, if, god forbid they ever take control of HBC you wouldn't see them for dust
How do you draw those conclusions? Brown has managed the crises excellently. Yes it's a major downturn (-6%) but the worst of it (collapsing banks, 4m unemployed, 80,000 repossesions) hasn't happened. BTW all western countries are around -6%.

When have I ducked issues except the daft right wing ones you dig up from the Daily Mail that aren't worth responding too?

I do not agree with aspects of New Labour/Brown/Blair but that is democracy. Should Ken Clarke become a Euro sceptic just because most Tories are? He's still in the shadow cabinet.

I believe sometimes you are so party political you willfully disregard an argument even though it may be for the betterment of all.
Old 24-12-2009, 18:20   #120
God Member

Quote:
It's self evident there party political Andrew, there's only Tory Councillors on them. Have a look at the Ossy one Andrew, you'll see what I mean about being propaganda.
You have obviously seen them so I'm asking you what is on there that is 'propaganda'? If it is simply that only Tory Councillors appear, then the councillors who refused to be on the calendar have made it party political. It was to be an independent council provided calendar before they withdrew.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..