Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2009, 18:26   #121
Give, give, give member

Re: Area Management Calendars 2010

The caption under the photograph reads....

'Area Management Councilllors at the new Tesco built on the site of the old Fire Station.'

Just as a point of order, there should be a comma, after Tesco, otherwise it makes no sense.

Shouldn't really have expected anything else, after HisMaster'sVoiceHBC got the commas mixed up, the last time he posted on here.

Though nice to see them celebrating a multi-national (Tory owned company) moving in, and stealing the trade off local businesses that have been in Ossy for decades, and are now suffering.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-12-2009, 18:29   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
As previously mentioned, I disagree with the calendars. Your party's decision though, to not be pictured on them because you presumably lost a vote? means that you have made a calendar party political that would have been independent.
There was no voting in the Area Management Councils about the calendars - so the Labour Group did not lose a vote (as you appear to be implying).
However I can tell you that at the West Accrington Area Management Board meeting held in November all the board members present (there were approx 20 members present - which included 3 ward councillors - 2 Labour and 1 Tory) voted against having a calendar with one person abstaining.

Unlike the Area Management Councils (whose calendars were paid for by the Cabinet Action Fund), the Area Management Boards were being expected to pay for the calendars out of Revenue money.

Andrew maybe you could explain why the decision was made party political if there was no vote taken by the Area Management Councils. And any decisions made by the Area Management Boards, are made by the board members (the majority of whom are not councillors).
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 18:30   #123
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

'Area Management Councilllors at the new Tesco built on the site of the old Fire Station.'

Just as a point of order, there should be a comma, after Tesco, otherwise it makes no sense.

Shouldn't really have expected anything else, after HisMaster'sVoiceHBC got the commas mixed up, the last time he posted on here.

Though nice to see them celebrating a multi-national (Tory owned company) moving in, and stealing the trade off local businesses that have been in Ossy for decades, and are now suffering.
Agree with you on the Tesco thing. I didn't realise it was a Tory owned company though.
Old 24-12-2009, 18:34   #124
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
There was no voting in the Area Management Councils about the calendars - so the Labour Group did not lose a vote (as you appear to be implying).
However I can tell you that at the West Accrington Area Management Board meeting held in November all the board members present (there were approx 20 members present - which included 3 ward councillors - 2 Labour and 1 Tory) voted against having a calendar with one person abstaining.

Unlike the Area Management Councils (whose calendars were paid for by the Cabinet Action Fund), the Area Management Boards were being expected to pay for the calendars out of Revenue money.

Andrew maybe you could explain why the decision was made party political if there was no vote taken by the Area Management Councils. And any decisions made by the Area Management Boards, are made by the board members (the majority of whom are not councillors).
How was it decided to have calendars if no vote took place?

The calendar itself looks party political because some councillors withdrew from being displayed on the calendars.

Perhaps you could answer my earlier question of when Area Management Board meetings are, where they are, and how you get on them?
Old 24-12-2009, 18:35   #125
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Agree with you on the Tesco thing. I didn't realise it was a Tory owned company though.
I forget you're only a nipper.

Owned by disgraced former leader of Westminster Council, Dame Shirley Porter, now exiled in Tel Aviv.

Google her for the whole sorry tale of her fall from grace.

Although she probably couldn't give two hoots, as she counts the shekels rolling in as profit, from her hide-away in Israel.

Old 24-12-2009, 18:46   #126
Super Moderator

Quote:
Six bleached out, pasty-faced, gurning mug shots, aren't my my preferred viewing for the year.

Like I said, mine's already ready to be recycled, but not wanting to be churlishly selfish, here's the Oswaldtwistle one, for those not lucky enough to have received one.

I'm just very thankful they're not dressed up as Mr. and Mrs. Bumble's Victorian parodies, because more than one or two of them could easily pass as the actors who played them in the film, Harry Secombe and Peggy Mount.
The offending item in all its glory! Muchas gracias, Gary. If I got one of those, I'd do the same as you. I'll stick with Kathy West on my kitchen noticeboard, thanks!
Old 24-12-2009, 18:51   #127
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
The offending item in all its glory! Muchas gracias, Gary. If I got one of those, I'd do the same as you. I'll stick with Kathy West on my kitchen noticeboard, thanks!
I'd rather have Rosemary West staring at me from the kitchen wall for a year, than the motley crew pictured on the calendar.

Old 24-12-2009, 18:52   #128
God Member

Quote:

Owned by disgraced former leader of Westminster Council, Dame Shirley Porter, now exiled in Tel Aviv.
Strange, I thought PLCs were owned by anybody who held shares in the company rather than being the daughter of the person who originally established the company!
Old 24-12-2009, 18:56   #129
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Costing us over five hundered quid, of our money, and no numpty thought it should be proof read?

There's not exactly a lot of text on it, so you'd have thought what little there was would at least be correct.

Shoddy.

Very shoddy.

Very shoddy, and an expensive waste of our money.

Old 24-12-2009, 19:03   #130
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Strange, I thought PLCs were owned by anybody who held shares in the company rather than being the daughter of the person who originally established the company!
She was the main heiress to the majority share holder and founder. Your Googling needs some improvement.

How much is she worth?
In January 2002, when her assets were seized, Dame Shirley told the courts that she only had £300,000 to her name. But previously, at least, she owned significantly more as one of the heiresses to her father Jack Cohen's Tesco empire. According to the Sunday Times' rich list her wealth in 2001 was estimated to be £69m. Others put her combined wealth at more than £300m.
Q&A: Dame Shirley Porter | Society | Society Guardian

Old 24-12-2009, 19:06   #131
God Member

Quote:
She was the main heiress to the majority share holder and founder. Your Googling needs some improvement.

How much is she worth?
In January 2002, when her assets were seized, Dame Shirley told the courts that she only had £300,000 to her name. But previously, at least, she owned significantly more as one of the heiresses to her father Jack Cohen's Tesco empire. According to the Sunday Times' rich list her wealth in 2001 was estimated to be £69m. Others put her combined wealth at more than £300m.
Q&A: Dame Shirley Porter | Society | Society Guardian
Perhaps next time to avoid confusion you could write 'was once owned by a Conservative'. Subtle, but important.
Old 24-12-2009, 19:06   #132
Senior Member+

Quote:
You have obviously seen them so I'm asking you what is on there that is 'propaganda'? If it is simply that only Tory Councillors appear, then the councillors who refused to be on the calendar have made it party political. It was to be an independent council provided calendar before they withdrew.
An independent council provided calendar Andrew. You obviously don't know the leader of the Council.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 19:08   #133
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
An independent council provided calendar Andrew. You obviously don't know the leader of the Council.
Would look pretty independent to me having all the Conservative, Labour and Independent councillors for the area together as originally planned before Labour withdrew.
Old 24-12-2009, 19:11   #134
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Perhaps next time to avoid confusion you could write 'was once owned by a Conservative'. Subtle, but important.
The last time I rifled through her bins she was still a major shareholder, along with other members of the Cohen family.

I'll leave subtlety for others to trifle with on here.

Old 24-12-2009, 19:15   #135
God Member

Quote:
The last time I rifled through her bins she was still a major shareholder, along with other members of the Cohen family.

I'll leave subtlety for others to trifle with on here.
Perhaps it's her movement to Israel that has prevented you from riffling through her bins of late to keep up to date.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..