Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 08:33   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Argos home deliveries

I though this thread was about "Argos home deliveries". It seems to have changed into something else now.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:37   #17
God Member

Back on topic - it has just this minute been delivered.
I will report when Argos reply to mail and admit telling 'porkies'

PS I use the word porky because I know that the word lie offends some people

Last edited by MargaretR; 06-04-2010 at 08:40.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:38   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I don't recall ever having done so, or ever being in a position where I would do so.

Though I once discussed his problems with his mother who was not offended by my interest, and just appreciated that I needed to know how he was different, in order to be of help when needed.
Well you quite easily found yourself in a position to call him a Mental Defective in your communication with Argos, so i cant see why you wouldn't use the same term openly in discussions with him or his family, if you dont think there's anything wrong with the term.

I wonder if your neighbour was Black you would be quite as happy to use the N word in describing them to Argos....or indeed to their face!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:45   #19
God Member

Words are only words - what matters is the intention behind their use.
I prefer to use words which clearly describe what I am trying to express.
Skin colour is irrelevant in any context and the use of slang to describe it would not enter my vocabulary.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:51   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Words are only words - what matters is the intention behind their use.
I prefer to use words which clearly describe what I am trying to express.
Skin colour is irrelevant in any context and the use of slang to describe it would not enter my vocabulary.
So what were you trying to express when you called your neighbour a Mental defective?...Thats certainly a term which wouldn't enter my vocabulary!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-04-2010, 08:59   #21
God Member

It clearly indicates that he thinks differently from the 'norm', and explains his unusual behaviour.

Society is conditioned to be sensitive about nonconformity - that way of thinking about disablity is defective too.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:05   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Back on topic - it has just this minute been delivered.
I will report when Argos reply to mail and admit telling 'porkies'

PS I use the word porky because I know that the word lie offends some people
It might surprise you Margaret, but there was post on Saturday morning, I thought it was a bank holiday weekend and therefore there would be no post, Argos may well have thought that your order may have been delivered if it was in the hands of the GPO, just a though
Old 06-04-2010, 09:06   #23
JFT96

Never thought I would be sticking up for Margaret, however it seems that she cannot do right from wrong.

This neighbour has problems. How do you express that, Brain Injured? Mentally Defective? Mentally Backward? Stupid? Simple? or Retard?
Shall we say the Neighbour is just Devious? Sneaky? Treacherous? Nasty? Obnoxious? Rude? or an A@@@@@e? having got a free cooker and keeping hold of Airline Tickets etc......

She was only trying to illustrate a point about deliveries and how it can go wrong when delivered to the wrong address.

The neighbours Colour, Creed, Mental State, Religion etc has nothing to do with it other than to explain the problem.
If it offends you, then sorry, but this is a adult site, she has not made any nasty derogatory comments like the 'N' word referred to by Taggy.
How was she meant to explain the problem,
maybe this edit might be appropriate

Quote:
I live next door to a normal person who has, in the past, taken in my mail and sat on it for days. This was traumatic when it once was holiday travel tickets and I had to request replacement at the 11th hour, only for him to produce them on the day before the departure.
I have even bought and installed a large set of chrome door numbers on his door, in order to attempt to avert any future incorrect deliveries.

Even that simple precaution does not always avert potential tragedy.
Like the time I was awaiting delivery of a new cooker, and found that it had been delivered to him, and installed. If I hadn't noticed that his cooker was being parked on the front lawn, I may well have been still waiting.

Argos have 'order tracking' which is an invaluable service when you have a neighbour like mine, so I tracked it. The GPO have a tendency to avoid this area on saturdays, so I didn't really expect delivery until tomorrow, tuesday, but it would be nice to see 'dispatched'.

I just checked and read 'delivered' - what a porky pie - just glad it was only a fiver.

I have mailed them as follows -
Comments - This website shows 'delivered'- Oh no it hasn't!
I didn't really expect it to be (being easter)
but it is rather naughty for you to say it has.
If it had been an expensive item I might well have panicked.
I have been at home 24/7 for the past 6 weeks.
I do live next door to a normal who has been known to take in my mail and sit on it for days, so I always 'track' any delivery.
Please ensure that porkies are not a part of your customer service plan.

I am sure that would help....

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:11   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
It clearly indicates that he thinks differently from the 'norm', and explains his unusual behaviour.

Society is conditioned to be sensitive about nonconformity - that way of thinking about disablity is defective too.
All that Argos needed to be told was that your Neighbour occasionally took in your mail against your wishes, not that you had a predjudiced attitude in the reasons this had happened. Many others without Brain Injury could equally do the same thing, so the reasons for stating that are just as irrelevent as describing his skin colour, his Brain injury might have nothing to do with it!

As i have asked previously, and you have skirted round the issue, would you called a Brain Injured person Mentally Defective to their face, if not then its not a term you should use in written communication either!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-04-2010, 09:13   #25
God Member

I don't 'do' shopping (due to my spastic hands) and rely entirely on deliveries for survival.

I actually had a courier delivery on good friday and when I remarked that I didn't expect it, the driver said he was self employed so worked all days of the year.

The GPO never deliver up this hill on Saturdays and really I don't mind if they are dashing to get their shift finished by noon to spend more time on what really matters to them.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:15   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Never thought I would be sticking up for Margaret, however it seems that she cannot do right from wrong.

This neighbour has problems. How do you express that, Brain Injured? Mentally Defective? Mentally Backward? Stupid? Simple? or Retard?
Shall we say the Neighbour is just Devious? Sneaky? Treacherous? Nasty? Obnoxious? Rude? or an A@@@@@e? having got a free cooker and keeping hold of Airline Tickets etc......

She was only trying to illustrate a point about deliveries and how it can go wrong when delivered to the wrong address.

The neighbours Colour, Creed, Mental State, Religion etc has nothing to do with it other than to explain the problem.
If it offends you, then sorry, but this is a adult site, she has not made any nasty derogatory comments like the 'N' word referred to by Taggy.
How was she meant to explain the problem,
maybe this edit might be appropriate

I am sure that would help....
She didn't need to say anything other than that her neighbour sometimes took in post against her wishes. Saying that he is Mentally Defective is just as offensive to a Disabled Person as using the N word is to a Black Person. Its a case of Double Standards on discrimination i'm afraid!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-04-2010, 09:19   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
All that Argos needed to be told was that your Neighbour occasionally took in your mail against your wishes, not that you had a predjudiced attitude in the reasons this had happened. Many others without Brain Injury could equally do the same thing, so the reasons for stating that are just as irrelevent as describing his skin colour, his Brain injury might have nothing to do with it!

As i have asked previously, and you have skirted round the issue, would you called a Brain Injured person Mentally Defective to their face, if not then its not a term you should use in written communication either!

Best Regards - Taggy
He does not take in my mail 'against my wishes'. He just doesn't always pass it to me promptly - persons who think normally would, unless of course they were acting maliciously.
Therefore I needed to make clear that there was no malicious intent on his part.

There is no point in further thread wandering here.
We just have different attitudes towards use of words.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:22   #28
JFT96

Hummm but by saying that the neighbour took in mail against her wishes, from reading the first post in this manner suggests that the neighbour is not a very nice person, after all they received a very nice new cooker for free.
I empathize with your view, but had Margaret put it any other way we would have all thought she has a A@@@@@e neighbour rather than one who has problems.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:27   #29
Senior Member+

Well in that case all it needed was to say my neighbour doesnt always pass it on promptly then! As i say the term Mental Defective is just as offensive to a disabled person as the n word is to a Black person!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-04-2010, 09:36   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Well in that case all it needed was to say my neighbour doesnt always pass it on promptly then! As i say the term Mental Defective is just as offensive to a disabled person as the n word is to a Black person!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Time out, let it go, stop fussing.

She's already differentiated, between a spade not being a shovel, here's my version.

A shovel is a tool for picking up sweepings, a spade is the N that ideally operates the shovel!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..