Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 19:00   #1
God Member

Argos home deliveries

I ordered a small item from Argos on 1st April
It is a magnifier and since free postage was offered it was cheaper than anything similar on ebay.
(not all the books I read are ebooks, which are magnifiable, so these old eyes need help sometimes, when bifocals are inadequate)

I live next door to a mentally backward person who has, in the past, taken in my mail and sat on it for days. This was traumatic when it once was holiday travel tickets and I had to request replacement at the 11th hour, only for him to produce them on the day before the departure.
I have even bought and installed a large set of chrome door numbers on his door, in order to attempt to avert any future incorrect deliveries.

Even that simple precaution does not always avert potential tragedy.
Like the time I was awaiting delivery of a new cooker, and found that it had been delivered to him, and installed. If I hadn't noticed that his cooker was being parked on the front lawn, I may well have been still waiting.

Argos have 'order tracking' which is an invaluable service when you have a neighbour like mine, so I tracked it. The GPO have a tendency to avoid this area on saturdays, so I didn't really expect delivery until tomorrow, tuesday, but it would be nice to see 'dispatched'.

I just checked and read 'delivered' - what a porky pie - just glad it was only a fiver.

I have mailed them as follows -
Comments - This website shows 'delivered'- Oh no it hasn't!
I didn't really expect it to be (being easter)
but it is rather naughty for you to say it has.
If it had been an expensive item I might well have panicked.
I have been at home 24/7 for the past 6 weeks.
I do live next door to a mental defective who has been known to take in my mail and sit on it for days, so I always 'track' any delivery.
Please ensure that porkies are not a part of your customer service plan.

I hope that it will raise enough of a chuckle in the customer services dept to warrant the posting of an Argos voucher....I am an optimist

Last edited by MargaretR; 05-04-2010 at 19:06.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-04-2010, 19:31   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Argos home deliveries

At least now you can have a cold shower and calm down a bit.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 19:39   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
At least now you can have a cold shower and calm down a bit.
Funny you should say that. The shower has been temperature limited at the time of install - seems that it has to be for 'the disabled'

My neck, shoulders and hands are(disabled), but my brain isn't
They have installed an wall extractor fan to take out steam - what steam?

Fortunately I have the installation/operation booklet and can reprogramme it after they have inspected the install - meanwhile I am being tepid

Last edited by MargaretR; 05-04-2010 at 19:43.
Old 05-04-2010, 19:48   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Fortunately I have the installation/operation booklet and can reprogramme it after they have inspected the install - meanwhile I am being tepid
Not if you don't get your magnifier, unless its an "E" manual

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:27   #5
Senior Member+

I must say that its been quite a long time since ive heard any poor soul who's Brain Injured being reffered to as "Mentally Backward" or a "Mental Defective"......Thankfully!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:36   #6
God Member

Agree with you Taggy, sorry Margaret but the use of those words grated on me as well
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:39   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I must say that its been quite a long time since ive heard any poor soul who's Brain Injured being reffered to as "Mentally Backward" or a "Mental Defective"......Thankfully!!

Best Regards - Taggy
The PC brigade say 'learning difficulties', but that doesn't make sense when he is not attempting to learn anything.
Spades aren't shovels in my book.
That does not prevent me from being a good neigbour to him - only last week I intervened when some Jehovahs were harrassing him.

Last edited by MargaretR; 06-04-2010 at 07:46.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:46   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
The PC brigade say 'learning difficulties', but that doesn't make sense when he is not attempting to learn anything.
Spades aren't shovels in my book.
Perhaps "He" is not learning anything because his Brain Injury hinders him from learning!! Brain Injuries are no different than Physical Injuries in that the Injury prevents you from being able to do certain things! Just because its a disability you cannot see...doesn't make it any less real!! Perhaps you would be happy to see people with Physical disabilities called Spastics...as they used to be!!

Best Rgards - Taggy
Old 06-04-2010, 07:55   #9
God Member

I have some 'non evident' disability myself - I have partially spastic hands.
I don't mind if you had said it.

Please read my edit of my last post

Old 06-04-2010, 08:03   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have some 'non evident' disability myself - I have partially spastic hands.
I don't mind if you had said it.

Please read my edit of my last post
Well i have a severely disabled son, who is Brain Injured, cannot walk, and can only use one hand....both i and he, would be very offended by the terms mental defective, mentally backward, or spastic. They all kind of imply that the person is somewhat less than "normal" ...assuming there's any such state as normal!...I assume you wouldn't call him a Mental Defective to his face, and if so then you should'nt use the term on here either!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-04-2010, 08:10   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
They all kind of imply that the person is somewhat less than "normal" ...assuming there's any such state as normal
There is a tendency to classify normal as admirable/acceptable - we are all unique - in my book the quest for conformity is the scourge of our society.
So do not insult me by inferring that I am 'normal'

Old 06-04-2010, 08:13   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
There is a tendency to classify normal as admirable/acceptable - we are all unique - in my book the quest for conformity is the scourge of our society.
So do not insult me by inferring that I am 'normal'

We may all be Unique but we also all have far more similarities to one another than we do have differences!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-04-2010, 08:19   #13
God Member

We obviously have different attitudes.
I regret that my use of words has offended, but because I am not normal, I don't see why it did.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:21   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
We obviously have different attitudes.
I regret that my use of words has offended, but because I am not normal, I don't see why it did.
So you would be quite Happy to call him, or any other Brain Injured person, a Mental Defective to their face would you????

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-04-2010, 08:28   #15
God Member

I don't recall ever having done so, or ever being in a position where I would do so.

Though I once discussed his problems with his mother who was not offended by my interest, and just appreciated that I needed to know how he was different, in order to be of help when needed.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..