Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2003, 14:37   #1

Post Armed Police

heard on the news that the Police on patrol in the centre of Birmingham are going to be armed over the festive period. What would you feel if Lancashire Police were to announce they were doing the same thing?
Nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-12-2003, 14:41   #2
Resting in Peace

Post Re: Armed Police

They have been armed in airports for a long time
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 14:49   #3
God Member

I think the Birmingham police are acting in response to the drive by shooting of those two girls last year....although the drug problem is there in Accy, I don't think the gun culture is as yet.

It is unfortunate that cops have to be armed, but then again it is an overall indicment of our society that instead of opposing crime and every misdeminour, we openly tolerate and condone it at the less serious end of the scale. At the other end that results in guns being the norm for the hard criminal fraternity.

You'll soon get used to seeing cops with guns. It is sad, but it will happen.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 14:53   #4
adi

Totally agree with Tealeaf on this one - unfortunately i think armed police will happen.

Id like to see more Policemen and Policewomen employed and walking/touring the streets - i find it pathetic that we have such a small number of officers employed both county and nationwide.
adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 15:02   #5
God Member

The problem is not so much the lack of numbers - although we certainly need more - it is rather their utilisation. I agree we need to see more boots on the ground and not whizing up & down in their cars after speeding motorists (After all, we got camera's for that).

What happens when a cop makes an arrest, even for a relatively minor offence? It's down to the station and fill in forms - piles & piles of 'em.....then the legal procedure begins...then it gets to court. What happens? the cop is sitting around all day while the lawyers (both sides funded by the taxpayer) argue points of law. (Anyone here who has done jury service will know what a shambles the English legal system is)

No, don't blame the police - blame the lawyers
Old 05-12-2003, 15:18   #6
Resting in Peace

i agree with you there tealeaf i have done jury service 6 times and the hanging around i had to do
i did it once in preston a lad had supposed to have knicked 1 can of lager from a off licence after getting a jury and all the lawyers it was thrown out of court for lack of evidence ,
but how did something like that get to a crown court all that cost
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 15:23   #7
Senior Member+

If armed police becomes the norm in this country, then we will end up more like America were the gun crime is very high. Which in turn will result in lots more deaths.
Old 05-12-2003, 15:35   #8
God Member

It's not the arming of police that is the problem - it's the gun culture and  toleration of a level of violence. If you look at Switzerland, every able-bodied man between 18-55 has to carry a military small-arm at home......yet what is their gun crime? Practically zero. Similarily with Israel - when you take the terrorists out the equation.

I can't think of many other countries that have unarmed cops as the norm, as we have; but we are no longer the country with the lowest level of firearm crime - far from it. Of all the western countries, however, we now have the highest level of non-gun violent crime and the highest level of crime against property...so maybe there is an argument for armed police, after all.
Old 05-12-2003, 16:06   #9
Senior Member+

Maybe if we could get rid of the drug culture in this country then the crime rate would drop dramaticly. Maybe though that is another topic.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:05   #10
Senior Member+

[quote author=Tealeaf link=board=general;num=1070642224;start=0#7 date=12/05/03 at 17:35:36]It's not the arming of police that is the problem - it's the gun culture and toleration of a level of violence. If you look at Switzerland, every able-bodied man between 18-55 has to carry a military small-arm at home......yet what is their gun crime? Practically zero. Similarily with Israel - when you take the terrorists out the equation.

I can't think of many other countries that have unarmed cops as the norm, as we have; but we are no longer the country with the lowest level of firearm crime - far from it. Of all the western countries, however, we now have the highest level of non-gun violent crime and the highest level of crime against property...so maybe there is an argument for armed police, after all.[/quote]
Here here Tealeaf agree on all terms
Old 08-12-2003, 10:22   #11
adi

Totally agree with your piece Tealeaf except for blaming the lawyers.

Yes they are at fault for some of the ridiculous cases we hear about but a lot of the blame must go the judges for dishing out such poor sentences.

A few of my mates are coppers and they tell me how fed up they get when they catch a criminal, do the mountains of paperwork only for the criminal to be given a suspended sentence or 40 hours community service.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:31   #12
God Member

I guess the answer is as follows:-

1) Arm the police

2) The police shoot the lawyers

3) Arrest the villains.

4) Try them in a peoples Court.

5) Reintroduce our most successful penal policy ever - Transportation.

6) End of Story.
Old 08-12-2003, 15:00   #13
Senior Member+

Tealeaf has the right idea. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Old 08-12-2003, 16:31   #14
Senior Member+

No way tealeaf we used to transport them to Australia and we would not want to give them any good Rugby players now would we?
Old 09-12-2003, 09:24   #15
adi

brutual Tealeaf - just what we need!!

we might have to give them some decent Rugby players Mik if they are to stand a chance of beating us!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..