Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2012, 09:08   #136
Resting In Peace

Re: Arndale another one bites the dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well if every thread kept on topic they'd die a very quick death, but the thing is if people don't like what they see they have the prerogative not to read it, simple really
Straight to the point John - well said.

I like this - a thread wander about thread wanders!!
Old 23-06-2012, 09:09   #137
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Straight to the point John - well said.

I like this - a thread wander about thread wanders!!
Always try to please susie, always try to please
Old 23-06-2012, 15:50   #138
Senior Member+

I wasn't being pedantic, although now out of retail it's a topic close to my heart. I managed shops in Accrington for over 20 years and actually do know what I'm talking about. It pains me when a well known chain goes bust, it's happened to me twice and ended up in rubbish redundancy pay from the government as the company has no money.

It's a case of use it or lose it, as I have said before, Accy won't get a Next or a River Island, if New Look can't make a dollar here, there's no way.
We now have no book shop, no music shop ( unless you count Custard Cube), nowhere for ladies of a certain age to buy their clothes other than M&S. The Arndale has had empty units constantly for at least the last 15 years,( Cryers to name one) there's no incentive for businesses to go in there, they get a 6 month deal and then whoosh, you can't afford to be open.
We used to have a healthfood store on Union st, and a decent seconds outlet....
Same in the market, we used to have 3 cheese stalls, now we have 1.
The fruit and veg market is tiny, although if you want your phone unlocking or some fake luggage the world is your oyster.

I feel for the the likes of Superdrug and Holland & Barratt, you look around the mall and see what's going on, it's not promising. Glad I am out of it.
Old 23-06-2012, 16:17   #139
Senior Member+

I see Accy centre has made news ( history )in the Telegraph. How long did it take them to realise what we have been saying all along.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 16:26   #140
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I see Accy centre has made news ( history )in the Telegraph. How long did it take them to realise what we have been saying all along.
Okay, so now I'm curious, what exactly are you talking about Frank ? A link or some such would be appreciated. Or is this some kind of feline entrapment routine you naughty Collie.
Old 23-06-2012, 16:28   #141
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Okay, so now I'm curious, what exactly are you talking about Frank ? A link or some such would be appreciated. Or is this some kind of feline entrapment routine you naughty Collie.
www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/hyndburn Try that Dave
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 16:44   #142
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
I wasn't being pedantic, although now out of retail it's a topic close to my heart. I managed shops in Accrington for over 20 years and actually do know what I'm talking about. It pains me when a well known chain goes bust, it's happened to me twice and ended up in rubbish redundancy pay from the government as the company has no money.

It's a case of use it or lose it, as I have said before, Accy won't get a Next or a River Island, if New Look can't make a dollar here, there's no way.
We now have no book shop, no music shop ( unless you count Custard Cube), nowhere for ladies of a certain age to buy their clothes other than M&S. The Arndale has had empty units constantly for at least the last 15 years,( Cryers to name one) there's no incentive for businesses to go in there, they get a 6 month deal and then whoosh, you can't afford to be open.
We used to have a healthfood store on Union st, and a decent seconds outlet....
Same in the market, we used to have 3 cheese stalls, now we have 1.
The fruit and veg market is tiny, although if you want your phone unlocking or some fake luggage the world is your oyster.

I feel for the the likes of Superdrug and Holland & Barratt, you look around the mall and see what's going on, it's not promising. Glad I am out of it.
If people can get the same or a similar product for less elsewhere, then that is what they will do.......and as for use it or lose it...you can't use something that isn't there. Shopping habits have changed.......people have less money to spend, but yet the shops open 7 days a week...where is the sense in that.
Opening more days costs more money so therefore eats into profits....ah Yes, I hear you say, but if they don't open then people will go online or to the supermarket.......so there is no real answer. Except, we have been to Bury today and the Market was very busy, (this inspite of the fact that it was a miserable grey day with the threat of rain). Why do you think that is?
It might have something to do with the fact that it is a good market with a very diverse range of produce at very competitive prices.
We went through Ramsbottom......a small town. Even that was very busy, with shoppers thronging the main street.
What these towns are doing to bring in trade...surely, could be emulated by Accrington.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 17:10   #143
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Thanks, lot clearer now.
Old 23-06-2012, 20:24   #144

there is a lot of shops shuting
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 21:13   #145
Senior Member+

"If people can get the same or a similar product for less elsewhere, then that is what they will do.......and as for use it or lose it...you can't use something that isn't there. Shopping habits have changed.......people have less money to spend, but yet the shops open 7 days a week...where is the sense in that.
Opening more days costs more money so therefore eats into profits....ah Yes, I hear you say, but if they don't open then people will go online or to the supermarket.......so there is no real answer. Except, we have been to Bury today and the Market was very busy, (this inspite of the fact that it was a miserable grey day with the threat of rain). Why do you think that is?
It might have something to do with the fact that it is a good market with a very diverse range of produce at very competitive prices.
We went through Ramsbottom......a small town. Even that was very busy, with shoppers thronging the main street.
What these towns are doing to bring in trade...surely, could be emulated by Accrington. "

I really don't know why you are quoting me here, it's not just my opinion, it's fact and common sense. I'm not defending anyone, we have a rubbish mall, a rubbish market and no-one gives a flying toss. I am only bothered because I still live here, I work in Blackburn and could do my shopping there, as it happens I do my big shop online as I don't drive but the fact is that if i wanted to spend money on a nice pair of shoes/jeans etc I would now have to go out of town. Or buy online, end of.___
Old 23-06-2012, 21:18   #146
Senior Member+

Re Ramsbottom, I have a friend with a shop there, even they have been having a hard time of it. It's picturesque and trying to be the next Hebden Bridge,but times are hard whether you are selling hand made jam or 20 for a £3 quid knock off bog roll.
Old 23-06-2012, 21:30   #147
Beacon of light

I am quoting you for the very same reason that you quoted me. I suppose that what I posted was not common sense then.

Of course the Mall is rubbish. But why is that? And I think there are quite a lot of people who do give a toss,but feel powerless to do anything.
You yourself, shop online so you are not following your own maxim of 'use it or lose it'.

Times are hard in the retail sector. However you look at it, Ramsbottom is attracting the footfall...which makes them streets ahead of Accrington.
We go through there most Saturdays and there are always people in the tearooms, on the station and in the main street......some of them must be spending.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 22:17   #148

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Totally agree with Margaret..shopping habits HAVE changed.

Frozen veg which is blast frozen is often fresher than veg sold on the market...gone are the days when the woman would spend her day peeling carrots and chopping cabbage, she doesn't have the time, she's out working.

The example of 3 cheese stalls...none of which, in my recollection, sold low fat, mozarella, edam, gouda, brie, bavarian smoked..eating habits and tastes change, if the seller doesn't provide, he goes under.

The thing about Bury, Skipton and Fleetwood markets is that they have a diversity of stalls and shops, set in a compact area that does not feel overcrowded. There's no free parking, but, as a driver, I'd rather pay £2-£3 for a couple of hours easy parking than negotiate the Arndale on a market day. Those markets always look clean and, to quote Councillor Pritchard, are 'vibrant'. Which Accrington market most definitely is not.

There used to be a guy who won award after award for his sausages tucked away on Warner Street, who knew about him apart from locals and other sausage makers? He should have been given a low rent stall/shop smack dab in the middle of the market, should have been advertised, 'Accrington-home of the best sausages in the world', instead he got the annual page two Observer comment.

As long as we have councillors who pay lip service and think we have a vibrant market, the town will suffer, what is needed is a councillor with the cohones to say, 'its a mess, it's totally screwed, let's knock the whole lot down and start again'

I won't hold my breath with either this lot (or the last lot)
Old 23-06-2012, 22:40   #149
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Shopping habits certainly have changed without doubt, But a vibrant Market will always attract punters, as Accys once did, Thing is from my viewpoint, if yeh got that,then yeh got a far better chance of attracting decent retail stores to town, slong as its attractive to em! That also means "NOT" screwing em wi high rates. Its a nice thought, but gone down to far now to ever happen IMHO.
Old 23-06-2012, 23:25   #150

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Shopping habits certainly have changed without doubt, But a vibrant Market will always attract punters, as Accys once did, Thing is from my viewpoint, if yeh got that,then yeh got a far better chance of attracting decent retail stores to town, slong as its attractive to em! That also means "NOT" screwing em wi high rates. Its a nice thought, but gone down to far now to ever happen IMHO.
Yeah, I also think it's past the point of no return..but..

I'd love to buy a decent pork pie or sausage that wasn't pre packed and full of water and sawdust to bulk it out, without having to travel 30 miles.

I'd love to be able to buy the grandkids the equivalent of a sixpenny toy (plastic man with a parachute, balsa wood gilder, jacks and bobs)

I want a craft shop where I can introduce the grandkids to model planes, ships, train sets, scalextric, subuteo and plasticine.

What I don't want are numerous pound shops selling screwdrivers made out of metal that are softer than screws, padlocks that can be opened with a paper clip and batteries that have less storage charge than a prepacked Tesco lemon.

As I see it, markets need to cater for all ages, tripe and pork pies for us old gits, clothing for the early teens, toys for the kids and trending stuff for the late teens (currently informed that the selling market is in 70's,80's vintage stuff).....of which Accrington has.....Nada!

P.S. if 70's and 80's are considered vintage does that make me dinosaurian?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..