Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2008, 17:26   #31
God Member

Re: Arndale Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You have a big gob Rindi, its tri-twin Accy with both Baghdad and Kabul

The councillors of Baghdad and Kabul are going to be pretty peed off when they see what they got landed with
Old 29-05-2008, 17:34   #32
Senior Member+

Sounds like a standard fire drill, the shutters are put down to stop more folk wandering in.
Old 29-05-2008, 17:53   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The councillors of Baghdad and Kabul are going to be pretty peed off when they see what they got landed with
They will if Graham Jones is in the party
Old 29-05-2008, 19:04   #34
Senior Member+

Talking Re: Arndale Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I am glad I wasn't there for this routine fire alarm thing. Why do the shutters shut if the fire alarms go off?

When a routine fire alarm goes off and the centre has to be evacuated the shutters have to be put down or the shop will be empty by the time we come back in, there is always a sneaky rat outhere
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 19:06   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It was only evacuated for 10 minutes....the police were in there, but there didn't seem anything amiss.

where was the police?
never saw them
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 19:23   #36
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolanda25 View Post
where was the police?
never saw them
THATS Willows secret...........At the same time that the Arndale was shutting its doors, I was telling Willow over the phone that there was a conglomeration (good word that) of uniformed police, (about 20 odd) C.I.D. Personnel, Ministry of Transport, Customs & Excise.......and an important looking middle-aged woman with ID around her neck all meeting within a mile of the town centre. Coincidence?
Old 29-05-2008, 19:35   #37
God Member

There was also a policeman at the bottom of Burnley rd directing traffic, though it did seem that the lights were stuck, that was at 5.30ish.
Old 29-05-2008, 19:50   #38
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
THATS Willows secret...........
Trust him to go and blab!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 20:01   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well if thats all it was i would tell you that around 1-00 this aft all those customs n exise folk were assembled at the lay-by opposite the old english electric down by the dunk, checking the Fuel of Vans n Wagons they stopping, but my lips are sealed.
Old 29-05-2008, 20:03   #40
Resident Waffler

Well that wasn't where they were this morning when I was told not to say where they were.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 20:08   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Just walking through the Arndale on my way to work this morning when alarms starting ringing & they announced over the tannoy that all shoppers & staff had to evacuate the centre - outside shutters were coming down and I thought I might have to do an Indiana Jones out o'there. Anyone heard what was going on?
the truth is as follows..

for once a shop actualy opened up instead of closing down , this threw the alarm system into a frenzy which short circuited the main board causing the fail safe to over ride the system resulting in a total lock down
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 20:22   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
the truth is as follows..

for once a shop actualy opened up instead of closing down , this threw the alarm system into a frenzy which short circuited the main board causing the fail safe to over ride the system resulting in a total lock down
Sounds plausible to me
Old 29-05-2008, 20:26   #43
Senior Member+

at least we're not leicester

they really did have their town centre closed after a suspicious package
Old 29-05-2008, 20:27   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
at least we're not leicester

they really did have their town centre closed after a suspicious package

linford christie was opening a shop i belieive
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 20:28   #45
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well if thats all it was i would tell you that around 1-00 this aft all those customs n exise folk were assembled at the lay-by opposite the old english electric down by the dunk, checking the Fuel of Vans n Wagons they stopping, but my lips are sealed.
Thanks cashman, As I said, coincidence? Not surprised though! In Brougton, there is a garage with a large sign on the roadside offering red diesel at 69p per litre - available in 20 litre drums (In smaller print, it says not to be used on public roads) Surely that must be a temptation to the many drivers out there? Would any accyweb members be tempted to put red diesel in their cars?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..