Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What should we do with the Arndale Clock?
Save it 61 79.22%
Scrap it 16 20.78%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2011, 06:39   #76
God Member

Re: Arndale Clock....Save it or scrap it?

When i was growing up the Arndale was always full of people, you walk through now and it's like a ghost town, i agree the clock should be brought back but i don't think it will make anymore people come into the Arndale just because it's there, does anyone know the running costs of the clock?
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-05-2011, 07:35   #77
God Member

when we were young the arndale had curry's,Dixons,Virgin records ,Gas showrooms and many other shops that people used regularly

as soon as whitebirk industrial estate opened up all the big names went there and left the arndale empty

in reality the arndale should never have been built it wasn't needed.All the shops moved off Broadway etc into it leaving empty shops that are now charity shops then proceeded to leave the arndale leaving that almost empty with no real quality shops to speak of that could have just as easily set up on Broadway

any shops of any use on broadway and union street are now either betting shops,charity shops or pound shops infact accy has got so bad we dont even have a toy shop now unless you count the toy section of teh argos catalog as a toy shop.

long way of saying the clock wont do a damn thing to attract people to accy but making accy an attractive place to company's will instead of crippleing them with extortionate rent,council tax etc and forcing them elsewhere like the last lot in power did.

we lost a beautiful outdoor market so they could build a few shops even though there was and is plenty of space in the arndale for them.

dont get me started on the destruction of the fish market mosaic that was smashed to smitherines so some kids could make pictures for the floor that would normaly be stuck on the fridge door while mummy and daddy tried their best to say awww how pretty it was without biting their lip off lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 08:07   #78

save it - i used to love it as a child its a peice of history. well at least it is to me!

- Look in the mirror before you start to judge others -
Lancashire Lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 10:01   #79
Senior Member+

Arndale Clock....Save it or scrap it?

accyman, this is for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish market mosaic.jpg (33.7 KB, 34 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 10:06   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
ahh even got the graffiti with it cheers lol

Three distinct featues of accy center that were lost making the wilkinsons complex

1: the outdoor market that didn't stink of rotten fish

2: the mosaic

3: the cigarette and sweetie kiosk which i believe was smashed to smithereens also despite requests to save it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 18:34   #81
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
The internet campaign, to reinstate the clock, has a prominent article about it, in this weekend's Observer.

Well done Atarah.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 19:19   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I agree panther!!!.
Be worried, panther!

As for the clock, after seeing the video I'd say it was worth re-instating.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 03:05   #83
God Member

a piece of 70s tat , glittery and shiney bling designed to attract those with an attention span of a flea , brain dead morons would stand/sit/wait for 1/2 an hour for less than 2 minutes visual stimulation. The same period of time spent hanging about could have been better spent taking the snotty nosed skrieking kids on a 5 minute walk up to the childrens section of the public Library or even a 2 minute walk to the now closed Wardleworths bookshop. Either junk the thing (toxic waste) or set it on the top of the Coppice with solar panels so the brain dead Lumpa Lumpas (Tagalog for fat overweight whales) get some exercise .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 07:45   #84
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
a piece of 70s tat , glittery and shiney bling designed to attract those with an attention span of a flea , brain dead morons would stand/sit/wait for 1/2 an hour for less than 2 minutes visual stimulation. The same period of time spent hanging about could have been better spent taking the snotty nosed skrieking kids on a 5 minute walk up to the childrens section of the public Library or even a 2 minute walk to the now closed Wardleworths bookshop. Either junk the thing (toxic waste) or set it on the top of the Coppice with solar panels so the brain dead Lumpa Lumpas (Tagalog for fat overweight whales) get some exercise .
Too long waiting for Old Faithful to shoot right up for you, has left you a little bitter?

Old 21-05-2011, 16:16   #85
Bee
I am Banned

Extra!, Extra!, Read all about it!;
It's high time the world clock returned to Accrington | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 17:26   #86
God Member

70s SJ? Are you sure???
Old 21-05-2011, 18:10   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
70s SJ? Are you sure???
evidently it was the 80s , (lost a decade somewhere ) apologies ,
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 18:26   #88
God Member

Lol, i thought i recalled the Arndale being built, if it had have been the 70s i wouldn't have been old enough to remember it
Old 21-05-2011, 19:50   #89
Senior Member+

The place where the Arndale was built was where I parked my tanker at night, then they built the Arndale and I used the bit of spare land behind the Castle pub. The taxman built his office there and I had to start parking in our yard at Clayton. I asked the taxman for a fuel allowance for my car to get to work and was turned down flat

All this because of an under-used Arndale centre, the clock will make no difference at all and certainly wont make me go into town especially to see it
Old 21-05-2011, 21:29   #90
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
the clock will make no difference at all and certainly wont make me go into town especially to see it
Another plus point, in favour of it's return.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..