Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2008, 16:55   #16

Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Was in Asda shopping this afternoon. Didn't get charged for my bags. They were placed behind the 'bag for life'. Just took the normal Asda bags, never realised they were meant to be paid for.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-05-2008, 17:00   #17
Resting in Peace

Got caught on the hop last week with M & S new policy on this .. must admit the 10p. bag is so much stronger than their last ones. Are Asda's bags stronger now Bernie ? Last week an unlucky customer lost her bottle of wine which went straight through the bottom and smashed on the floor.

M & S do offer you a bag free of charge when it's worn out, so maybe only have to buy the original one ? ...

Need more bags for Asda .. need only one for M & S, but usually four for Asda ... how will these fit in my handbag ? Hummph, will now have to buy larger handbags to accommodate plastic bags.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 17:03   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie94 View Post
what about if you get your shopping delivered online?
I don't know.

I use Sainsbury's online and so far have not been charged for carrier bags.

I don't know how they will get round that for online shoppers. Currently they bring the goods to your door in carrier bags in a big blue box so unless they are going to start putting all the items loose into the boxes, I don't know.

It'll be a bit of a faff having to carry individual items through the house.
Old 26-05-2008, 17:13   #19
God Member

I had a Tesco delivery this week with bags - no extra charge.
incidentally - I got £19 off an order of £90 - £13 by voucher code + £6 in Clubcard vouchers

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 17:48   #20
God Member

[quote Kate]Are Asda's bags stronger now Bernie ?[/quote] Yes they are stronger Kate and should fit in your hanbag if you fold them neatly.
Old 26-05-2008, 17:55   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
[quote Kate]Are Asda's bags stronger now Bernie ?
Yes they are stronger Kate and should fit in your hanbag if you fold them neatly.[/QUOTE]

Ah well, another item to add to my list of handbag contents.

Thanks for the warning.
Old 26-05-2008, 18:21   #22
Senior Member+

They are a good idea, we have a black bin bag full of carriers. But it's just like me to forget to pick up the bag for life on my out.

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 18:27   #23
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I take it all this started today?
went yesterday and got the normal bags!
so now bags are no longer free......more bloody expense on me shopping!
it should be the retailers sorting all the bloody plastic packaging out not us!......bodyshop give free carrier bags and they are biodegradable, so why cant asda?...dont they think our shopping bills have gone up enough?
Old 26-05-2008, 18:37   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I take it all this started today?
went yesterday and got the normal bags!
so now bags are no longer free......more bloody expense on me shopping!
it should be the retailers sorting all the bloody plastic packaging out not us!......bodyshop give free carrier bags and they are biodegradable, so why cant asda?...dont they think our shopping bills have gone up enough?
You don't have to buy them every time.

Save them from the previous week and take them with you to use again next time you go.
Old 26-05-2008, 18:50   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Got caught on the hop last week with M & S new policy on this .. must admit the 10p. bag is so much stronger than their last ones. Are Asda's bags stronger now Bernie ? Last week an unlucky customer lost her bottle of wine which went straight through the bottom and smashed on the floor.

M & S do offer you a bag free of charge when it's worn out, so maybe only have to buy the original one ? ...

Need more bags for Asda .. need only one for M & S, but usually four for Asda ... how will these fit in my handbag ? Hummph, will now have to buy larger handbags to accommodate plastic bags.
My 'free' M & S bag tore by the time I got to the front door of the store the other week, though they are normally very good.

I haven't tried the trade in yet either.

Cheap carriers are the perfect size as liners for my kitchen bin, so when there aren't any anymore, I guess I'll have to buy some proper bin liners, which I suppose isn't very green.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 18:53   #26
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
I dont mind supermarkets charging for bags,because we take so many,,,but i went in Hitchens in Fleetwood the other day and bought 4 tops,,the girl said its 5p for the bag ,so me being the old skinflint that i am told her where to shove it,and said i will carry them in my arms
outside i used my m&s carrier...i am not paying to advertise their shop...i think it is now another good excuse to rip us off,, at Prymark you get a brown paper bag,,,nice one
JUST DID RIGHT GRANNY C.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 19:30   #27
God Member

I've just ordered my weekly shopping on line from Asda and no mention on there about being charged for the bags and you do tend to get a ridiculous amount of them when they deliver your shopping, often there's just one item in a bag - although you can give the previous weeks carriers to the driver for recycling.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 22:35   #28
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Just got some shopping from Asda and they are no longer giving free carrier bags. The new Bag For Life are five pence each. I for one am forever going shopping and not reusing carrier bags so think this is a good way to help the enviroment. Anybody else got loads of carrier bags who will think twice when they are being charged five pence each? The new bags are made from recycled plastic.
Asda carrier bags have a secondary use for me. I use them for non-recyclable waste so that my bin doesn’t get coated inside with rotting food.

So now I will have to buy some sort of suitable plastic bag to do the same job.

Someone explain to me where the saving is.

My other point is, do the new carrier bags have the Asda logo or name on them? If so then I, and all the other customers, will be getting charged for advertising Asda. Something wrong there.

I can feel an exchange of words coming up on Friday when I go and do my weekly shop.
Old 26-05-2008, 22:38   #29
God Member

Quote:
JambuttyMy other point is, do the new carrier bags have the Asda logo or name on them? If so then I, and all the other customers, will be getting charged for advertising Asda. Something wrong there.
Yes they do have Asda's name on them all be it not to prominently.
Old 26-05-2008, 22:43   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]

I can feel an exchange of words coming up on Friday when I go and do my weekly shop.
Eeew Jambutty, can we all come and watch please ? .. would love to see you in action...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..