Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2008, 07:15   #46
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
.... would love to see you in action...
He is too old to give you any action Kate
Old 28-05-2008, 07:45   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Prominently or not if the bag has the shop name on it then we will be paying for the privilege of advertising the shop.

Asda and the others should pay us for advertising the store.
Next time you have to buy an asda or any shop's bag that has there name on just tell the girl on the till to wait while you turn the bag inside out then start loading no avertising and the look on there face is great fun
I did this the other day in M&S the look i got hehe i walked out with a big smile on my face

Last edited by Mick; 28-05-2008 at 22:01.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 08:11   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE View Post
When I went to Asda today, they only had 5p bags at the tills but still had the free bags at the self servis tills.
I cant say that i noticed if they were at the self serve tills but there were no bags out other than the 5p pnes, the person serving never said anything to me about the 5p bags, just said ill get you some carrier bags and got them from under the till
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 08:31   #49
mez
God Member

this remindes me of my days before the plastic carrier bags when we always took our own shopping bags with us ...remember the gondola basket kate? i loved mine.i hve now got a nice colourful stash of "proper" shopping bags & im helping the enviroment too.
Old 28-05-2008, 08:42   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
...remember the gondola basket kate? i loved mine.i .
Sort of Mez ... never had one .. bit too open and didn't hold too much.

I like everyone else used the supermarket bags for lining my litter bins and disposing of un-eaten foods, so yeh, never thought that we would have to buy them now, so not saving much for the environment are we ? Good point.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 09:29   #51
God Member

I have just had a Tesco delivery - asked for 'no bags' (extra clubcard points), but got them anyway, no extra charge.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 09:34   #52
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Next time you have to buy an asda or any shop's bag that has there name on just tell the girl on the till to wait while you turn the bad inside out then start loading no avertising and the look on there face is great fun
I did this the other day in M&S the look i got hehe i walked out with a big smile on my face
Interesting suggestion and worth considering.
Old 28-05-2008, 09:49   #53
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
this remindes me of my days before the plastic carrier bags when we always took our own shopping bags with us ...remember the gondola basket kate? i loved mine.i hve now got a nice colourful stash of "proper" shopping bags & im helping the enviroment too.
Ah! But in those days people didn’t do a bulk shop once a week. There were no supermarkets apart from the Co-op and most people didn’t have cars so the corner shop ruled and a weekly trip to the local fruit and veg market.

My weekly foray to Asda rarely fills more than 4 bags but there are many people with larger families who will fill ten or fifteen carrier bags. Imagine having to take 15 shopping baskets with you.
Old 28-05-2008, 10:01   #54
God Member

my gran used to use a tartan trolly pull along kind of thing with 2 wheels and a handle

i dont recall what happened to the trolly but knowing how tight fisted my mum is my gran was probably burried in it
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 11:04   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

called in asda fer a couple of things this morning. when the lass scanned em,she said- have you brought yer own bag sir, i replied no, so she grabbed one of the new green bags n scanned it, - i said i didn't ask fer that i will carry em, did i get a dirty look or what? she had to p*** about cos it showed on reciept, so i also left smiling as i walked away.
Old 28-05-2008, 11:18   #56
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
They deliver in plastic crates - about the size of milk crates. They are designed to slide on racks in the delivery van and have a number temorarily stuck on each crate so that when the driver looks at them he can get out all those with your allocated delivery number. Chilled and frozen goods travel in a seperate chilled section of the van.

When you specify 'no bags' you still get some - items such as soap powders that smell strong will be seperately wrapped before being put in the crate.

I consider that great care is taken by Tesco to ensure that there is no damage during transit. They have been doing home deliveries longer than Asda and do it better.
How does that work when they deliver them? Presumably they bring the crates into the house. Do they then wait until you take everything out of the crate and take the crate back?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 11:27   #57
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
How does that work when they deliver them? Presumably they bring the crates into the house. Do they then wait until you take everything out of the crate and take the crate back?
Yeah when we get deliveries from Tesco they carry the stuff in inside a green tray and wait for you to unload them,it's a really good service and i would highly recommend it.
Old 28-05-2008, 11:39   #58
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

When I'm doing the dreaded shop, I always take my rucksack, that way all the heavy items are on my back instead of in tacky plastic bags biting into my hands.

If I can't fit it all into the rucksack then like Mick I turn the bag inside out before putting the lighter items and delicates, (such as eggs), into them.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 12:03   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Next time you have to buy an asda or any shop's bag that has there name on just tell the girl on the till to wait while you turn the bad inside out then start loading no avertising and the look on there face is great fun
Hahahaha I can't wait to go shopping now!! because I will certainly be doing just that! I aint paying for the privilege of advertising their company! stuff that.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 12:52   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
As Loz already said - they wait for you to empty the crates, but not for you to check them against the delivery order list (which Ian Entwisi annoys them by so doing )

It is quicker to lift 2 or 3 carriers out of a crate than to lift out all the items individually, which I think is why carriers are used even when you have asked them not to.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..