Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2008, 19:19   #106
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
I did notice that some of my fruit and veg from tesco today came in `Compostable` packaging, so thats what i have done, i`ll see in a couple of weeks if its started to break down.
If it is any help the ‘compostable’ or bio degradable seed pots take about three months to completely degrade but they have to be in soil. Nothing happens in open air.

I have a few bio degradable unused seed pots and after one year they are still as good as new.
Old 31-05-2008, 19:19   #107
God Member

Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Price rises do.
We, the customer, (who is supposed to be always right) should keep nagging away until all fruit and veg is sold loose and not pre-packed.

Completely agree with you there Mr Jambutty.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 19:38   #108
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Asda Doing Their Bit

Quote:
Completely agree with you there Mr Jambutty.
Does a tube of toothpaste really need to be in a box? Not when you consider that you can now buy a tube of mustard and that isn’t in a box. You can buy tubes of Primula cheese and no box as secondary packaging.

The scope for change is enormous but we have to keep pushing.

Heave ho my hearties.
Old 31-05-2008, 19:44   #109
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

If Asda is so keen on going ‘green’ it should use its clout to reduce manufacturer packaging and also look at its own packaging policy. Do we really need a bunch of bananas pre-packed in a plastic bag? And other large fruit. Does a whole cucumber really need to be shrink wrapped?
I agree to some extent, but, I think spar in Ossy is taking this a bit ott.

Other day I went for a few bits, and I noticed some chocolate Doughnuts, these were just thrown loose on a Bread tray, and not on the counter where the staff could monitor who was touching them, they were at the back of the store.. Now this was at 7pm in the evening, these must have been out for at least 1 full day Now, would you have bought them??

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 14:58   #110

I went to Asda last week for a few bits and pieces with my little lad. I merrily strolled round and heard an announcement by the greeter about some carrier bags. Wasnt really listening too busy shopping. When i got to the till the fella at the till mumbled at me about carrier bags which i replied yes(at this point i hadnt even noticed the bright green carriers before me) and he scanned two carrier bags. I couldnt believe it, there was no signs or warning about the new carrier bags before the day. Im just glad a didnt get a full shop otherwise id have put the shopping back in the trolley. What annoys me the most is that i have since been to Bury's Papermill wacky warehouse and asda is opposite. What do i see. I woman with a full trolley of old carriers. If there had been notice about these changes i would have been prepared. GRRRR

Have you seen me dancing, i mean really dancing!!!

Claire Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 15:08   #111
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Cal View Post
there was no signs or warning about the new carrier bags before the day.

you obviously werent viewing accyweb all last week then where you
Old 02-06-2008, 15:43   #112

Obviously. I should have come on on wednesday and told you all about it

Have you seen me dancing, i mean really dancing!!!

Claire Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 19:56   #113
God Member

My partner went to asda on sunday, she was offerred the choice between the new bags and the old ones, but my brother in law went to rawtenstall asda and was told the green ones were to be used because the old ones arnt good for the environment and are being phased out, he told them he didnt want the green ones, but wanted the old ones, they gave him the old bags without a row.
Old 02-06-2008, 20:34   #114
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I did notice that some of my fruit and veg from tesco today came in `Compostable` packaging, so thats what i have done, i`ll see in a couple of weeks if its started to break down.

Standard carrier bags are compostable, they take about 400 years to break down. In the grand scheme of things is 400 years really a long time. How long has the planet been here?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..