Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 14:50   #1
God Member

ASDA hiding ciggies

truely what a joke our country has become when we can no longer have ciggies in plain sight.Although the law dosnt come into effect for a short while yet asda have started early on what will soon be law and now hide their ciggies out of sight.

God knows what this rule is supposed to prevent because i know of not one person who started smoking because the saw ciggies on a shelf.

Most people who smoke start because their friends did or the parents did

Not a smoker anymore myself but things have gotten way out of hand and have gone way too far.Its not the actuall hiding of ciggies that i have issue with but how dumb the government and powers that be think we are that we need telling how to run every single aspect of our lives and think that without their intervention we cant make decisions .

Mind you i bet every shopkeeper in teh country is going to have to waste a lot of time and money complying to the new rules for not displaying ciggies

whats next hiding bacon so as to stop people getting heart dissease from eating fatty food or offending people of other faiths ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 11-02-2012 at 14:54.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2012, 14:59   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: ASDA hiding ciggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
truely what a joke our country has become when we can no longer have ciggies in plain sight.Although the law dosnt come into effect for a short while yet asda have started early on what will soon be law and now hide their ciggies out of sight.

God knows what this rule is supposed to prevent because i know of not one person who started smoking because the saw ciggies on a shelf.

Most people who smoke start because their friends did or the parents did

Not a smoker anymore myself but things have gotten way out of hand and have gone way too far.Its not the actuall hiding of ciggies that i have issue with but how dumb the government and powers that be think we are that we need telling how to run every single aspect of our lives and think that without their intervention we cant make decisions .

Mind you i bet every shopkeeper in teh country is going to have to waste a lot of time and money complying to the new rules for not displaying ciggies

whats next hiding bacon so as to stop people getting heart dissease from eating fatty food or offending people of other faiths ?
Now thats a good idea we don't want to upset muslims do we
Old 11-02-2012, 15:04   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Now thats a good idea we don't want to upset muslims do we
well i put faiths because we could be seen as offendin teh jewish too and i dont want to be on teh wrong side of jesus lol

Thing is eventually they are going to run out of ideas on how to control us and they are already down to weak and thin excuses with this hiding ciggys malarky.I can see a day not too far away when issuing us with tinfoil hats will occur so as to protect people from upsetting thoughts by others lol

I would love to blame the EU for this but i dont think this is a EU thing.In Amsterdam you can buy a joint off the wall for example .

I think somone in a powerfull position has been watching too much STARTREK becase in that show alchol is banned as is smoking but more woryingly homosexuality has been "cured" so maybe a big kull on the way

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 11-02-2012 at 15:10.
Old 11-02-2012, 15:07   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
well i put faiths because we could be seen as offendin teh jewish too and i dont want to be on teh wrong side of jesus lol
I used to tease the hell out of Ray Lyndon when I worked for him, he sometimes got the butties in for breakfast when we were on the Markets, I always asked him to get me a bacon butty
Old 11-02-2012, 15:40   #5
Senior Member+

Quick hide the jelly babies
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:41   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Quick hide the jelly babies
they are to be issued a last ciggarette and a blindfold so they cant see their demise

jelly babies will probably get human rights soon too

Old 11-02-2012, 17:35   #7

Cigarettes are legal to buy but now not legal to smoke anywhere but in your own home (at the moment). Everyone knows that they are bad for our health but the government will not ban them because of the enormous amount of revenue they bring in. If they were introduced today they would be made illegal but tobacco has been here for hundreds of years as has alcohol which could produce a similar argument. I enjoy both tobacco and alcohol (in fact it could be said that I can resist anything but temptation)!
It smacks a bit of hypocrisy that the only bar in the country in which you are able to smoke is in the House of Commons!
I am sick of people telling me how to live my life, so sitting here at the moment with my cigarette in my hand and my glass of red wine in front of me after spending the last couple of hours in the pub after a very busy and stressful week at work I would like to say to the people who think they hold the moral majority for us all to mind their own business! And if my lifestyle causes me to need the services of the NHS at some point in the future then I have paid more than my share into the pot over the years in taxes of various kinds to compensate!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:38   #8

Oh and in addition to my previous post, no hiding cigarettes under the counter will stop me from smoking - it smacks a bit of prohibition to me and that didn't work!
Old 11-02-2012, 18:23   #9
Senior Member+

No doubt we've had this argument before but everyone has their vices, I've never smoked but I like a drink, my drinking will not kill or harm anyone else whereas your smoking will and does, it's not rocket science, it's a dirty , smelly habit that actually has been proved to kill people. I'm glad that it's banned in public places, I'm glad that there are no more fag machines.
**My dad, who has smoked copiously all his adult life has done enough with his coughing, wheezing and making our clothes and hair smell that neither me or my 2 siblings have ever smoked and my daughter considers it disgusting. **
Old 11-02-2012, 18:29   #10
Resting in Peace

Well I'm totally anti smoking and would recommend everybody to give up, but its their choice. I remember when smoking was banded in pubs etcetera, if ever they took a sledge hammer to crack a nut shell that was it, Smoking round the bar was banned in Scotland in the early seventies, but why they just didn't let pubs and clubs have a designated smoke room with adequate ventilation or extractor fans I don't know
Old 11-02-2012, 18:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
No doubt we've had this argument before but everyone has their vices, I've never smoked but I like a drink, my drinking will not kill or harm anyone else whereas your smoking will and does, it's not rocket science, it's a dirty , smelly habit that actually has been proved to kill people. I'm glad that it's banned in public places, I'm glad that there are no more fag machines.
**My dad, who has smoked copiously all his adult life has done enough with his coughing, wheezing and making our clothes and hair smell that neither me or my 2 siblings have ever smoked and my daughter considers it disgusting. **
I actually agree with your comments! Although apparently as far as I know there is no scientific evidence that passive smoking has killed anyone, if you know different then fair enough. I'm actually glad it's been banned in public places I find it much more pleasant in pubs, restaurants etc and I know it's dirty and smelly, hence my obsession with scented candles. I travel quite a bit in my work, and the one thing I do miss is being able to stop off for a coffee and not be able to light a cigarette.
My children don't smoke and I wouldn't advocate that anyone start to smoke, but what I do object to is holier than thou people telling me how to live my life.
And don't forget, there is a strong lobby at the moment who want the same things to happen with alcohol as has happened with cigarettes. To me, the real concern is with being told what to do and how to live my life. I know some things are bad for me and I will choose whether or not to continue with them and don't need to be told how to live my life.
I'm sure that in not many years to come smoking will be a thing of the past, but as things are at the moment let's let the older generation just get on with our lives which may or may not include smoking and keep the cigarettes on the shelves! Putting them under the counter won't make me stop smoking in fact it could well bring out my rebellious streak!
Old 11-02-2012, 18:51   #12

Blimey, Anne, that's telling 'em!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:52   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I'm totally anti smoking and would recommend everybody to give up, but its their choice. I remember when smoking was banded in pubs etcetera, if ever they took a sledge hammer to crack a nut shell that was it, Smoking round the bar was banned in Scotland in the early seventies, but why they just didn't let pubs and clubs have a designated smoke room with adequate ventilation or extractor fans I don't know
I have been planning for many years to call around to your place just to upset you, but if you're anti smoking, (rather than an ex smoker), we have nothing in common, I'd rather spend my time with a Tory.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:06   #14
JFT96

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I actually agree with your comments! Although apparently as far as I know there is no scientific evidence that passive smoking has killed anyone, if you know different then fair enough.
Well here goes:

Here's the Proof: Is Passive Smoking Harmful?

Meta-analysis of studies of passive smo - PubMed Mobile

Estimate of deaths attributable to pass - PubMed Mobile

Acute effects of passive smoking on the - PubMed Mobile

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/...dh_4101475.pdf

Well there's 5 to get you started.

I have no issues if you smoke, I used to do.
However I cannot agree at all with the passive smoking does not exist argument. You might as well say Cocaine is good for you, Drinking and driving does not hurt anybody, not wearing a seatbelt in a car is safer than wearing one.
If you wish to smoke, then all and well, but let's not hide our heads in the sand because Forrest and Big Tobacco say so.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Well here goes:

Here's the Proof: Is Passive Smoking Harmful?

Meta-analysis of studies of passive smo - PubMed Mobile

Estimate of deaths attributable to pass - PubMed Mobile

Acute effects of passive smoking on the - PubMed Mobile

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/...dh_4101475.pdf

Well there's 5 to get you started.

I have no issues if you smoke, I used to do.
However I cannot agree at all with the passive smoking does not exist argument. You might as well say Cocaine is good for you, Drinking and driving does not hurt anybody, not wearing a seatbelt in a car is safer than wearing one.
If you wish to smoke, then all and well, but let's not hide our heads in the sand because Forrest and Big Tobacco say so.
I can find lots of sites on the internet which rebut all the things you've posted here, but I don't know how to post them myself, if anyone's interested enough I'm sure they'll look.
But I do agree that smoking is not a habit to be admired, and I know it's not healthy, my issue is to do with the powers that be trying to stop us from doing something legal via legislation which if we did stop would be detrimental to the economy, and also as an adult being told what to do by people with a holier than thou attitude to life who for some reason think they hold the upper ground in life.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..